Mobility car. Who can use it...?

Options
harveybobbles
harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
edited 13 July 2010 at 7:47PM in Disability money matters
The situation:

My auntie has been awarded full DLA after sevel years of hell and a list of ailments as long as ET's phone number!

Anyway, she has placed her order for her car and is due to collect it in a few weeks time. Obviously my Uncle is going to be able to use the car too as he will be named on the insurance.

Will my Uncle be able to use the car to get to and from work?

This was a heated debate we were having the other nite and I was saying that the car is for my Auntie to use. Yes my uncle can drive it, but not to get him to and from work...

Your opinions please.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• sox8369
    sox8369 Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options
    On the motability website it states the rules - although your aunt doesnt need to be in the car when he drives it - the car must be used for the purpose of the disabled person if she is not in it - ie - to get the disabled persons shopping, medicines etc. -
  • harveybobbles
    Options
    Thanks. That's what I was thinking, but couldnt seem to get people to understand.
  • sox8369
    sox8369 Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options
    Go onto the motobility website and print off the page and waft it under his nose ... i am sure that many people use motability cars and dont strictly stick to the rules - i know someone who uses her husbands motability car to do the school run daily. The rules are clear - but i guess its up to your uncle and aunt if they adhere to them !!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I always wonder in reallity who`s going to check?
  • wazza
    wazza Posts: 2,595 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I know a few people who use the car for their own purposes. They will not listen to what i say. They fall under the umbrella ''it will never happen to me''

Just wondering if caught is the driver insured when not using the car for intended use?
    Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems :( Well at least i learn something on the way :D
  • cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The situation:

My auntie has been awarded full DLA after sevel years of hell and a list of ailments as long as ET's phone number!

Anyway, she has placed her order for her car and is due to collect it in a few weeks time. Obviously my Uncle is going to be able to use the car too as he will be named on the insurance.

Will my Uncle be able to use the car to get to and from work?

This was a heated debate we were having the other nite and I was saying that the car is for my Auntie to use. Yes my uncle can drive it, but not to get him to and from work...

Your opinions please.
    You can argue that by the uncle using the car ti get to and from work he is using it for your aunts use as he is using it to earn money to help support her.

When we had a Motability car a few years back we enquired with Motability I was informed that I was able to use it for work I just had to pay an amount of money to cover the extra insurance needed for commuting (as you need this stated in the insurance). It didn't cost me much. That was about 5 years ago.
    sox8369 wrote: »
    On the motability website it states the rules - although your aunt doesnt need to be in the car when he drives it - the car must be used for the purpose of the disabled person if she is not in it - ie - to get the disabled persons shopping, medicines etc. -

I'm afraid it's not as black and white as you think because there are so many tasks that you can easily give an argument for that they directly or indirectly are for the disabled person.

As woodbine said in reality who is going to check. If your not doing something stupid like using it as a business vehicle in reality general use is no problem. Just keep an eye on the milage as if you go over a certain amount per year you get charged.
  • TheBottomLine_2
    Options
    On the motability website you can 'Ask Mo'. She says that the customers spouse can use the car for work. :)
    Only 3% of those registered blind in the UK have zero vision.
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There was an article in my local newspaper a year or so ago about a crackdown on illegal use of BBs and it mentioned that some people using the badge illegally were also fined for having no car tax as the tax is only valid if the disabled person is in the car.
  • harveybobbles
    Options
    This is about the use of the car, not the Blu Badge. But thanks anyway :)
  • wazza
    wazza Posts: 2,595 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When i was a teenager, about 25 years ago, my mum was claiming disability and had a free road tax for the private family car. On my way to collect my sister from school a local plod stopped me and told me i am not allowed to use the car. I asked him why because i was insured on it. He told me that due to the disabled road tax disc the car is only to be used for the purpose of my mum. I told him i was collecting her daughter from school and he let me go.

However my father used the car for work.
    Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems :( Well at least i learn something on the way :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure