Mobility car. Who can use it...?

Options

Comments

• pstuart
    pstuart Posts: 668 Forumite
    Options
    easy wrote: »
    back in the days before we had ds, so needed a family car, I had a sports car, which was funded by my DLA (thru a bank-loan back then).

Just cos I'm disabled doesn't mean I don't have style :D

OK, I get your drift - keep up the style and well done!
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    Options
    easy wrote: »

Just cos I'm disabled doesn't mean I don't have style :D

My MIL has an Astra Sport hatch. Not axactly a sports car, but it looks nioceand sporty. She was worried getting her 1st MFL car that it would have stickers on the side or "Motability" or something lol.

Anyway, back to my OP - it seems that there are mixed views on this one...
  • lorraine_9
    lorraine_9 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Last year my parents were going on holiday and my car was in the garage. I rang Motability and asked if I was able to use the car to go to work and back for the 2 weeks they were away as mine was in the garage. I am already insured on the car but thought I had better ask just to make sure in case of an accident etc...

I was told by Motability that as long as the car was available to the Disabled person as and when they need it then I was perfectly allowed to use the car as I am insured. (I never abuse the BB either before someone mentions this, Dad couldn't so without it if I got caught). So really I could use the car whenever I wanted as long as Dad was able to drive the car when he needed to e.g hospital appts, shopping etc.

My Dad would be housebound without his it so I don't abuse the ability to use the car. I suppose everyone has their own opinions about this subject I personally would only use the car to take Dad somewhere he wanted to go or if he didn't need to use it and my car was in the garage for MOT etc.
  • pstuart
    Options
    lorraine_9 wrote: »
    Last year my parents were going on holiday and my car was in the garage. I rang Motability and asked if I was able to use the car to go to work and back for the 2 weeks they were away as mine was in the garage. I am already insured on the car but thought I had better ask just to make sure in case of an accident etc...

I was told by Motability that as long as the car was available to the Disabled person as and when they need it then I was perfectly allowed to use the car as I am insured. (I never abuse the BB either before someone mentions this, Dad couldn't so without it if I got caught). So really I could use the car whenever I wanted as long as Dad was able to drive the car when he needed to e.g hospital appts, shopping etc.

My Dad would be housebound without his it so I don't abuse the ability to use the car. I suppose everyone has their own opinions about this subject I personally would only use the car to take Dad somewhere he wanted to go or if he didn't need to use it and my car was in the garage for MOT etc.

Thank you, I think that answers the original question.
    Why didn't you send this earlier, it would have stopped all opinionated knowitalls guessing again.:T
  • TheBottomLine_2
    Options
    I answered the original question in post #8. It was easy enough to find the answer on the Motability website. :)
    Only 3% of those registered blind in the UK have zero vision.
  • itsnotfair_2
    Options
    A recent article in the motability magzine covered the issue. A person i.e husband of disabled person is legitmately able to use the car to go to work, as work is for the benefit of the disabled person. Assuming they are named on the insurance policy.
    Also RSA are quite happy to allow additional drivers (more than 2) for a fee if long term or free if one driver is taken off. They happily allow under 21's too with just an increased excess.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    edited 11 July 2010 at 8:21AM
    Options
    lorraine_9 wrote: »

Iv'e no doubt that that is what you were told by Motability, however I cant help but wonder what the reply would have been had you rang Swansea DVLA???

There was a very detailed topic on here sometime ago on just the subject of using any car with DA road tax for "private" use and it was proved conclusively that it is not allowable. Of course the issue of getting caught out is minimal but we were looking for the correct info here. ;)

And to quote stuart;
    "Why didn't you send this earlier, it would have stopped all opinionated knowitalls guessing again.:T"

I'm afraid some of the opinionated knowitalls are correct in this case. :p:p
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • sox8369
    sox8369 Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options
    A couple of you have mentioned that the motability insurance covers two people - but another can be added for a small charge - can anyone give me an idea of this charge please, and is it payable direct to the dealer when you collect the car ?
  • pstuart
    Options
    Iv'e no doubt that that is what you were told by Motability, however I cant help but wonder what the reply would have been had you rang Swansea DVLA???

There was a very detailed topic on here sometime ago on just the subject of using any car with DA road tax for "private" use and it was proved conclusively that it is not allowable. Of course the issue of getting caught out is minimal but we were looking for the correct info here..
    And to quote stuart;
    "Why didn't you send this earlier, it would have stopped all opinionated knowitalls guessing again.:T"

I'm afraid some of the opinionated knowitalls are correct in this case. :p:p

Yes of course you are, now back to your room before Matron finds you.:eek:
  • grumpyofwhitecross
    Options
    So having read this post....answer me this...I have used the motability car to take my wife to have a short stay in hospital. If it cannot be used without the " nominated person " in the car..1. How am I supposed to get home ? do I leave the car in the hospital carpark until she is redy to come home ? As she is not using the car, do I need to arrange normal tax to get home ?

The bottom line is...as read on an older post...common sense must prevail. If the car is our only means of transport , she is at home all day , and I need to get to work and back, then I use the car. This helps me to get home if needed urgently, and not rely on non existent public transport.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure