Mobility car. Who can use it...?

Options

Comments

• pstuart
    pstuart Posts: 668 Forumite
    Options
    No ones going to "slate" you lorraine. Well not me.

However I have da tax and I know the rules. You can get caught out, what Mobility told you was clearly wrong. But, if I was in your position I would do just what you do.

It's not yours or anyone elses positions that are wrong, but simply that the system is not perfect and are simply inflexible.

I am simply stating the facts regardless of whether I agree with them.
    Take care.

Contrition is good! Well done.

Somedays you are the dog, other days you are the tree.

Are we all done now.
  • lorraine_9
    lorraine_9 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    I am done - I think I've said quite enough....:rotfl:

I do hope everyone can take something positive from this forum, it's been an experience, and everyone is entitled to their opinion even if we don't all agree ;).

Bye for now
    Lorraine
    pstuart wrote: »

Are we all done now.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    edited 13 July 2010 at 5:38PM
    Options
    pstuart wrote: »

Are we all done now.

Well this dog will Pi#s up your tree untill you can control your stupid posts. Answer the questions I have put to you or butt out, for the 3rd time. :kisses3:

Can i suggest you migrate to a section of the forum that you actually know something about?

Oh sorry, you can't.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • cazpost
    cazpost Posts: 109 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The car must be used for the BENEFIT of the disabled person,so if he is going to work to earn money to keep his wife,then it is acceptable. The best thing to do if you are not certain is to ring Motability and check.
  • Surfer
    Surfer Posts: 361 Forumite
    Options
    Never in my life have I come across a thread with som much mis-information. Posters who are quite correct get slagged off and told they are wrong. If a poster thinks the other person is incorrect, then why don't they pst a link to areference rather than be a knowitall? I don't have a motability car however I have a disabled road tax disc and we bothe sue the same vehicle safe in the knowledge that we are not abusing the benefit of the road tax.
  • cyclonebri1
    edited 14 July 2010 at 10:46AM
    Options
    cazpost wrote: »
    The car must be used for the BENEFIT of the disabled person,so if he is going to work to earn money to keep his wife,then it is acceptable. The best thing to do if you are not certain is to ring Motability and check.

Perfectly true and I think most people have accepted that is is a fairly wide definition of "for the benefit of" it has to be for all the reasons previously stated.

The problems arises and this is were the argument lies in this thread, is when the vehicle is used or lent to a more distant family member.

Someone has already rung Mobility and they say they are fine with it, however they cannot speak for the DVLA.

I've stuck my neck out in this thread in order to try and protect someones relative getting ticketed for abuse of the tax system. I'll put my money where my mouth is and ring the DVLA today. ;)

Meanwhile here is a quote from direct gov;
    dg_4001106.jpg
    Vehicle tax for disabled people

dg_4005028.jpg
    If you’re a disabled person you may be exempt from paying vehicle excise duty (vehicle tax) if you are in receipt of the higher rate of mobility of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA), War Pensioners Mobility Supplement (WPMS) or have an invalid carriage.

If you have entitlement to one of the above benefits you may be entitled to a free tax disc for your vehicle. Once you have your first free tax disc, subsequent applications can be made through the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency’s (DVLA) online and telephone vehicle licensing services, or at a licence issuing Post Office® branch or DVLA local office.

What you need to know
    • the exemption can only be claimed for one vehicle at a time
    • you must pay vehicle tax on any additional vehicles
    • you can nominate someone else (a nominee) to drive for you. But the car must:
    • be registered either to you or your nominee
    • only be used for your benefit (for example shopping or getting prescriptions)
    • be insured for the nominee or anyone else who drives the vehicle for your purposes
    How to claim exemption if you are getting DLA or WPMS

Before you can get a free tax disc, you will need to apply for an exemption certificate from the Agency that issued the benefit. The process is slightly different for some Motability customers (see 'Motability Contract Hire Vehicles' below).
    If you have nominated someone to use their car for your purposes, the exemption certificate will need to show your name and that of the nominee.

If you get the higher rate of the mobility component of DLA
    Contact the agency below and ask for exemption certificate DLA 404.
    Disability and Carer Benefits Directorate
    Disability and Carers Service
    Warbreck House
    Warbreck Hill
    Blackpool
    FY2 0YE
    Tel: 0845 712 3456
    Hearing impaired Minicom users:
    Tel: 0845 722 4433
    If you get the War Pensioners Mobility Supplement
    Contact the agency below and ask for exemption certificate WPA 442.

Service Personnel and Veterans Agency
    Norcross
    Thornton-Cleveleys
    Lancashire
    FY5 3GZ
    Tel: 0800 169 2277
    Hearing impaired Minicom users:
    Tel: 0800 169 3458

Motability Contract Hire vehicles
    If you are on the Motability Contract Hire scheme in Great Britain, Motability will register and license your vehicle for you. They will hold the Vehicle Registration Certificate for the duration of you contract with them. Motability will also arrange for you car to be taxed annually in the disabled taxation class and will send you your new tax disc. This means that you will no longer need to apply for an exemption certificate in order to tax your vehicle. It is therefore very important that you tell Motability to any changes to your address or circumstances.
    NOTE: The “Use” restrictions above also apply if you have a Motability vehicle. Motability intends making it a condition of their scheme that all contract hire vehicles are licensed in the Disabled class. If you feel that you are unable to meet the use restrictions above then you must notify Motability so that the appropriate rate of vehicle excise duty can be paid.

The blue high lights are mine

Edited to add that I now won't bother ringing the DVLA, that seems pretty clear to me.

OK for you Surfer?

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

• Surfer
    Surfer Posts: 361 Forumite
    Options
    That is better than one of the "knowitall" posts. My wife uses the vehilce for my benefit which is going to work or even taking the dog to the vet as that is for my benefit. She doesn't use it on her own to go visit friends unless i need something collecting from the friend.
  • cyclonebri1
    Options
    Surfer wrote: »
    That is better than one of the "knowitall" posts. My wife uses the vehilce for my benefit which is going to work or even taking the dog to the vet as that is for my benefit. She doesn't use it on her own to go visit friends unless i need something collecting from the friend.

I understand. I have this issue with my kids, I posted about it earlier. They use my estate on occaision, but they can't do so legally unless I go along. :)

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I understand. I have this issue with my kids, I posted about it earlier. They use my estate on occaision, but they can't do so legally unless I go along. :)

You don't need to go along. So, if they run an errand for you because you're too ill to go with them, that's ok, as it's for your benefit.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • cyclonebri1
    edited 14 July 2010 at 1:00PM
    Options
    sh1305 wrote: »
    You don't need to go along. So, if they run an errand for you because you're too ill to go with them, that's ok, as it's for your benefit.

Read what I said SH, if I lend them the car to fetch a fridge for themselves I have to go along otherwise they are acting illegally and could get my free tax revoked. An over sight on your part I'm sure??

I am in receipt of dla, and I do fund my own car.

But I am dam carefull I don't fall foul of the system and it's loop holes, ;), take care.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport