Mobility car. Who can use it...?

Options

Comments

• pstuart
    pstuart Posts: 668 Forumite
    Options
    It is the tax issue that's the snag, not what the Mobility rules are.

I think the message is clear on that footing that yes a spouse can use the car to work etc, to get back from dropping of the person, to pick them up from the airport.

The tax issue affects all cars with disabled tax particularly privately owned ones.

Yes motability will say you can arrange to lend the car for a period of time whilst you are way, but that does not get around the issue of tax. That is not provided by MB, it's a tax concession to the disabled, and is strongly controlled.

There is absolutely no way that a MB car can be taxed privately to allow use by someone while the DP is away. Would you get caught?, you could especially a young driver picked up at night. I wonder if ANPR states the tax class of the vehicle?

It is possible with a private car but it's awkward.
    You can either forgoe the free tax and buy your own so no issues whatsover or, and this seem the only lawfull way of doing this, you can have the free tax but when an outsider will be using the the car you could take out 6 months tax and cancel it within the 1st month so you only pay for 1 months use.

The awkward bit is that 2 discs cannot be in issue at the same time, so the original tax has to be returned before the paid for one can be purchased. That one then has to be surrended before the free tax can be applied for again.

That is not going to happen;)

Still muddying the waters - can't you find another topic to procastinate about.
    Go to the original question, read and reflect on your useless waffle.
  • lorraine_9
    lorraine_9 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry PStuart,

I had only just found this forum and thought about 'hovering' but decided to have my say :rotfl:

Will remember to voice my opinion next time:T

Lorraine
    pstuart wrote: »
    Thank you, I think that answers the original question.
    Why didn't you send this earlier, it would have stopped all opinionated knowitalls guessing again.:T
  • lorraine_9
    Options
    I think.. (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that it's £75 per year for over 21s.

sox8369 wrote: »
    A couple of you have mentioned that the motability insurance covers two people - but another can be added for a small charge - can anyone give me an idea of this charge please, and is it payable direct to the dealer when you collect the car ?
  • pstuart
    Options
    lorraine_9 wrote: »
    I think.. (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that it's £75 per year for over 21s.

We were quoted a higher figure than this ( that would cover the whole 3 year lease).

But it would be prorata ie. if there was only 1 year left on the lease it would be the figure quoted divided by 3.

Which probably brings us back to your £75.
  • littlerat
    littlerat Posts: 1,792 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jumping in here :)

My Dad has - well had until recently - a motability car, and My mum was the main driver for years, they knew she used it for all things. The fact is almost naything is helping Dad in that environment, and its got to be common sense a little. School run was daily for years (no bus route), the fact is we had to get to school, had that not been allowed Dad would've had to drive us and he oculdn't have always.

To me the rules are to protect against like an ex-neighbour of ours who used their Mum's car - and blue badge - to go away on holiday for 2 weeks. She was still at home.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    edited 13 July 2010 at 7:51AM
    Options
    Still muddying the waters - can't you find another topic to procastinate about.
    Go to the original question, read and reflect on your useless waffle.

Stuart it's you that should butt out, so far you have made sarcastic imbecilic comments not only to me but to several other posters about medication, matron and touching nerves etc. You obviously have close experience of such medical issues :T

The real problem however is that you are relying on misinformation about the legallity of using a free tax car for independant use. What the Motobility people told a previous poster, Lorraine, is not correct from the DVLA perspective. I asked you to disprove it knowing that you cannot and all you can do is make so called funnies.

The tax issue is very much on topic in this thread as you can't get a Mobility car without free tax.

As I have conceeded you would be very unlucky to get caught, but caught you can be.

I'll repeat it again for you as you just don't get it do you.

A car with disabled tax cannot be used for independant purposes as was the case that Lorraine posted about.

As I said before, put up or shut up because you have confirmed yourself as a fully paid up member of the "knowitalls" you seem to despise.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • pstuart
    Options
    Stuart it's you that should butt out, so far you have made sarcastic imbecilic comments not only to me but to several other posters about medication, matron and touching nerves etc. You obviously have close experience of such medical issues :T

The real problem however is that you are relying on misinformation about the legallity of using a free tax car for independant use. What the Motobility people told a previous poster, Lorraine, is not correct from the DVLA perspective. I asked you to disprove it knowing that you cannot and all you can do is make so called funnies.

The tax issue is very much on topic in this thread as you can't get a Mobility car without free tax.

As I have conceeded you would be very unlucky to get caught, but caught you can be.

I'll repeat it again for you as you just don't get it do you.

A car with disabled tax cannot be used for independant purposes as was the case that Lorraine posted about.

As I said before, put up or shut up because you have confirmed yourself as a fully paid up member of the "knowitalls" you seem to despise.

It would be interesting, if your point is correct, to see if anyone has ever been prosecuted for the alleged 'offence'.

But as it stands its just silly mishievious procastionation on your behalf and you really should find another hobby!
  • cyclonebri1
    Options
    It would be interesting, if your point is correct, to see if anyone has ever been prosecuted for the alleged 'offence'.

But as it stands its just silly mishievious procastionation on your behalf and you really should find another hobby!

Fine, but I am right and you are wrong and if you'd taken the trouble to read posts #11, #13 and # 14 before you posted or opened your open your mouth again you will find that people have been procecuted.

Oh, my hobby is correcting the trash you have posted. :kisses3:
    You will I think I also agreed and posted thanks for you in post #24, I actually thought you were the sensible type as what you posted there was exactly my take on the situation. Unfortunately I made an error in character assesment, I can't be right all the time

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

• lorraine_9
    Options
    If Motability inform me I can use the car for a limited period of time then I will use the car. I'm not talking about every day, just when my car is off the road as if dad falls I need to be able to get to him quickly - would someone rather I waited for a bus or two than take the car which is available? At least I bothered to ring them to ask rather than just taking the car.

What happens if DVLA say I can't but Motability say I can??? I would let them scrap it out between themselves, as long as I am insured I am happy to use it.

Swings and roundabouts really. It all depends on which advisor you get on the day you ask the question. I'm sure if you ask 10 - 1/2 will say yes and 1/2 will say no. It's all a bit of a minefield which no one person will agree on.

Personally I will continue to use the car with my dads and Motability's permission. I have never asked DVLA about the car before and I doubt I ever will. From my point of view it's more about the insurance side of it than the tax.

Before someone decides to slate me about this post, this is from MY POINT OF VIEW. I'm not expecting everyone to agree with me.

Lorraine
  • cyclonebri1
    Options
    lorraine_9 wrote: »
    If Motability inform me I can use the car for a limited period of time then I will use the car. I'm not talking about every day, just when my car is off the road as if dad falls I need to be able to get to him quickly - would someone rather I waited for a bus or two than take the car which is available? At least I bothered to ring them to ask rather than just taking the car.

What happens if DVLA say I can't but Motability say I can??? I would let them scrap it out between themselves, as long as I am insured I am happy to use it.

Swings and roundabouts really. It all depends on which advisor you get on the day you ask the question. I'm sure if you ask 10 - 1/2 will say yes and 1/2 will say no. It's all a bit of a minefield which no one person will agree on.

Personally I will continue to use the car with my dads and Motability's permission. I have never asked DVLA about the car before and I doubt I ever will. From my point of view it's more about the insurance side of it than the tax.

Before someone decides to slate me about this post, this is from MY POINT OF VIEW. I'm not expecting everyone to agree with me.

Lorraine

No ones going to "slate" you lorraine. Well not me.

However I have da tax and I know the rules. You can get caught out, what Mobility told you was clearly wrong. But, if I was in your position I would do just what you do.

It's not yours or anyone elses positions that are wrong, but simply that the system is not perfect and are simply inflexible.

I am simply stating the facts regardless of whether I agree with them.
    Take care.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport