We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Halifax Clarity Card Launch Today!

Options

Comments

• RobinH_2
    RobinH_2 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Do you recon that if you pre-load the card before taking it abroad, you can withdraw up to the pre-load from ATMs abroad without being charged interest on the money?
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    RobinH wrote: »
    Do you recon that if you pre-load the card before taking it abroad, you can withdraw up to the pre-load from ATMs abroad without being charged interest on the money?
    Possibly, but...

1. Halifax T&Cs (condition 7.6 from memory) usually prohibit such positive balance creation.

2. Here's a tale of woe from someone whose holiday was ruined by doing what you're asking...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=6025280#post6025280
  • RobinH_2
    RobinH_2 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Possibly, but...

1. Halifax T&Cs (condition 7.6 from memory) usually prohibit such positive balance creation.

2. Here's a tale of woe from someone whose holiday was ruined by doing what you're asking...

Thanks,

Condition 7.7 in my contract says "you must not... put the account into credit" The only warning here is that they may repay the funds to wence they came but obviously if you do something they state you must not then you have not got much of a case if thisngs go wrong when you do.
  • Jammi
    Jammi Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    I closed a dormant Halifax 'One' card late last month in anticipation of applying for the 'Clarity' card.

My online banking offers is now showing a new card with 0% on purchases for 12 months, and 9 months on balance transfers.

A search accross the forums indicates a 30 day wait before applying as a new costomer. Considering an offer of a card is already in place should I succomb to temptation and apply straight away or is it best to wait a little longer.

I really want it for the monthly Cashback.
  • adam91_2
    adam91_2 Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    You can close the one card and open the clarity card the next day, after midnight!

Adam
    I work for Lloyds Banking Group. (Halifax).
    However my posts are my sole opinion. Please don't assume my opinions are facts and please don't assume i am advising you on certain products.
  • Jammi
    Options
    adam91 wrote: »
    You can close the one card and open the clarity card the next day, after midnight!

Adam

Thanks Adam for the quick reply. I guess its time to hit the apply button, and start earning that cashback :D
  • td_007
    td_007 Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jammi wrote: »
    I closed a dormant Halifax 'One' card late last month in anticipation of applying for the 'Clarity' card.

My online banking offers is now showing a new card with 0% on purchases for 12 months, and 9 months on balance transfers.

A search accross the forums indicates a 30 day wait before applying as a new costomer. Considering an offer of a card is already in place should I succomb to temptation and apply straight away or is it best to wait a little longer.

I really want it for the monthly Cashback.

See my experience here. I have an existing One card and now approved for Clarity card....not sure if the loophole has been closed though!
  • Jammi
    Options
    td_007 wrote: »
    See my experience here.!

Thanks td. I actually read your post and Adam's reply to it.

I didn't want to rely on a loophole espcially after reading the experience of another poster on a different thread, who was approved for an additional halifax card only to be rejected later cos they already held a card. Though I recall that they got the card after an appeal and closure of the original card.
  • adam91_2
    adam91_2 Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    On Friday, the rules still held were you could close your one card with a balance on it. And pay it off 'whenever' then after midnight, the next day, open the Clarity card!

In theory, that's how it is or was on Friday.

Adam
    I work for Lloyds Banking Group. (Halifax).
    However my posts are my sole opinion. Please don't assume my opinions are facts and please don't assume i am advising you on certain products.
  • iereboy
    iereboy Posts: 415 Forumite
    Options
    Guys - here is my experience in case it helps someone.

I applied for the card, on the last page it froze, so I applied again and it told me I already had applied and they would be in touch in 10 days ago.

I thought oh no, the browser messed up and I am in trouble AND I got refused caused it said they would be with me in 10 working days. (I think it got referred cause I apply like mad for Credit cards and have been doing lots of successful applications recently and possibly I thought my credit score had taken a hit)

5 days later, I get a letter saying I have been accepted and I had to sign the form and return it back to them. Did it yesterday, so hopefully it will be here in the week and I can get my £60 a year.

Hope this helps someone and don't despair if it gets referred. All my applications seem to get referred. I have never had a straightforward yes from a company ever!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport