We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Halifax Clarity Card Launch Today!

Options

Comments

• td_007
    td_007 Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Simple and straight forward....took 5 min to apply online and accepted with £6600 limit :D
  • td_007
    Options
    Until when is this is offer valid and why I don't see it on my on-line banking?

It does not come up among online offers when you log in. Apply directly via the link provided above and should all go well.
  • td_007
    Options
    Thanks for letting us know about this new card!

1. Will the 0% exchange rate be based on Mastercard's exchange rate, or is it going to be a rate set by Halifax themselves?

This needs to be tested...after reading about Tesco card here it is right to be wary.
    2. Do you know the procedures for current Halifax credit card holders - will they be able to just do a switch (will this involve a credit search?), or do they have to close the old one down before opening a new one?

Thanks!
    I already hold a Hfx One card (£9 K limit), but applied via the above link provided was accepted immediately with £6600 limit. So does not seem as if you have close any existing card. Probably rules might get tightened in the coming days depending on the popularity of the card.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    jambosans wrote: »
    Rant: as an aside, I do find it frustrating that Lloyds Banking Group's attempts to differentiate the brands results in a better deal being had with what is in essence another name for Bank of Scotland. It's understandable that Lloyds TSB has a different product range because it's still a completely separate bank (both in terms of its licence and systems), but there are still dual-branded HBOS branches in Scotland. If you weren't as clued up on HBOS you would easily miss out on this great deal due entirely to deceptive branding.

Bank of Scotland, like Lloyds TSB, is an established bank that does not need to bring in customers through offering decent products - their brand name would bring in enough customers, even if they did offer poor deals. Even though it is a very long time since Halifax were a Building Society (and indeed, in many ways they seem to be more of a bank than LTSB are now, making a wider range of services available in ATMs and online), many peoples' perceptions are different.

Lloyds Banking Group do seem to be moving BOS further and further away from Halifax - there's this differentiation of which cards they offer, and the re-branding of their website a few months back.

I expect that in time, BOS will more closely align itself with LTSB, and offer the (in general) poorer quality products that you get from there, and so the existing Halifax/BOS range will only be offered under the Halifax brand.
  • INT1
    INT1 Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Applied online but told they would be in contact within 10 days. I bet it is because of my redundant cards I don't use (deb's and citi) both of them have just been cancelled but will take a month to show on my file.

I like the idea of the cashback and also the 0%'s on overseas purchases etc. May have to close down my Zero card if I get accepted.
  • battyboimatt
    battyboimatt Posts: 621 Forumite
    Options
    Halifax dont like me lol, they wont give me a card, even though I bank with them with the Ultimate Reward Account for 1 1/2 half put all my wages in, have a couple of grand in savings, however they will happily give me a 3500 overdraft lol.
  • savagej
    savagej Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Options
    rb10 wrote: »
    Bank of Scotland, like Lloyds TSB, is an established bank that does not need to bring in customers through offering decent products - their brand name would bring in enough customers, even if they did offer poor deals. Even though it is a very long time since Halifax were a Building Society (and indeed, in many ways they seem to be more of a bank than LTSB are now, making a wider range of services available in ATMs and online), many peoples' perceptions are different.

Lloyds Banking Group do seem to be moving BOS further and further away from Halifax - there's this differentiation of which cards they offer, and the re-branding of their website a few months back.

I expect that in time, BOS will more closely align itself with LTSB, and offer the (in general) poorer quality products that you get from there, and so the existing Halifax/BOS range will only be offered under the Halifax brand.

I got my T&C's for new BoS Current Account.

I noted a few things:-

1. we = "bank of scotland"
    2. we have made a special agreement that allows you to withdraw up to £1200 (it was £1000 somthing) at Halifax branches in England and Wales in any one day.
    3. when it came to the section on right of off-set they used "we" purely are in "bank of scotland", no mention of LTSB, or Lloyds Banking Group.

I dont think BoS Customers can do day-to-day banking in England anymore, and all mention of Halifax is disappearing from Scottish Branches, literature, posters, and branch livery.

It is rather akin to the reversal of the merger as HBoS itself is not mentioned anywhere itself either, except in emails I have received.
  • adam91_2
    adam91_2 Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    td_007 wrote: »
    This needs to be tested...after reading about Tesco card here it is right to be wary.

I already hold a Hfx One card (£9 K limit), but applied via the above link provided was accepted immediately with £6600 limit. So does not seem as if you have close any existing card. Probably rules might get tightened in the coming days depending on the popularity of the card.

The rules are you have to close your one account before being able to get the new clarity card.

However when applying online, they don't realise you already have the one card you see.

Lucky man haha! :j
    I work for Lloyds Banking Group. (Halifax).
    However my posts are my sole opinion. Please don't assume my opinions are facts and please don't assume i am advising you on certain products.
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    I applied and got the 10 days to reply treatment.

I can't bring myself around to an Ultimate account so I have to rely on a £1000 throughput to a Reward account.

What would happen if I missed the £1000 per month Reward target ? Would my eligibility to use the clarity card lapse ?

If I don't get it I will stamp and scweem and find a better place for my ISAs.

J_B.
    (I bet Niddy has eyes on clarity.)
  • the_insider
    the_insider Posts: 795 Forumite
    Options
    I tried to apply last night and the decision page loaded for about 10 minutes and then went blank. I hope it hasn't shown as a search on my credit file, I'll be ringing them later to try and apply again!
    Getting married 02.08.14
    Wins for the wedding: membership for a 'wedsite' and app, £35 gift voucher for party supplies shop, £50 worth of hand painted signs, 1kg of heart shaped marshmallows :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport