PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Value Frozen White Fish

Options

Comments

• carrottopsuk
    Options
    bud-miser wrote:
    The LIDL frozen Pollock is the cheapest I've seen and makes a great fish pie/fish-and-cheese bake/fish risotto etc etc.

The OP's tone is rather superior.

The shops do actually sell this expressly FOR human consumption!!

Hi Budmeiser

Me superior? lol You obviously haven't seen my cooking skills. ;-) I'm always surprised that the cats (who always act superior to me) don't down turn their nose up at the fish when I boil it for them. It's the frothy stuff that I seem to generate when boiling it that I worry about (they don't seem to worry). However, I may have more success if I make fishcakes and fish pies. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!!!

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone. I usually try my utmost not to offend anyone however, I do have a habit of putting my foot in it (and then digging a deeper hole when I'm trying to get it out). If it's the term 'actually' that's upset you- I actually tend to use it quite a lot in everyday language ;-) I've also got a habit of saying Really? and you're joking? when people are telling me a good story which I know is true. People that know me just get used to my weird ways and don't usually taken offence.

I hope you haven't got the wrong impression of me. I'm just looking for some suggestions how to cook properly (as I don't know how) and how to keep it as cheap as possible (as from Wednesday I've got a mortgage which means that I have no choice but to economise. Before when I was just saving for the deposit, I knew that the odd treat wouldn't have any repercussions)

Apologies for waffling, I just wanted to try and clear that up.
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    carrottop you haven't offended me hun, and fish should never be boiled, that's why you are getting the frothy stuff, either simmer it gently in milk or water, bake it in the oven or even cook it in the microwave.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • JoeyEmma
    JoeyEmma Posts: 913 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just polished off the fish pie made with the frozen cod from aldi and must say I was quite impressed. I think I am now converted to using frozen fish in cooking (although I don't think I'd eat a piece of it plain)
  • carrottopsuk
    Options
    moggins wrote:
    carrottop you haven't offended me hun, and fish should never be boiled, that's why you are getting the frothy stuff, either simmer it gently in milk or water, bake it in the oven or even cook it in the microwave.

Thanks Moggins

That explains a lot. I must admit, I've never boiled white fish for myself, only the cats. Regarding white fish for me, I've mainly bought frozen fish in breadcrumbs or bought it at the chip shop. That will have to stop. I will follow all the suggestions here instead.

Regarding the cats, if I'm not too broke, I think I'll microwave fish in future for them. (correction: for her - I'm only taking my cat with me when i move) She's too impatient to let it gently simmer, although I think she'll approve of the milk.

To be honest I don't feel too guilty about feeding her a piece of frozen fish every now and again. £1.49 divided by 6 pieces = under 25p a slice which is about the same price as the cat food that I get her and its a change/treat for her.
  • LondonDiva
    LondonDiva Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Iceland!

The used to do a packet of fish for £2.99 or 2 packets for £5.

So you could have 500g Coley/ 400g mackarel/smoked haddock / 350g place / tuna steak etc.

Hadn't bought for ages as trying to eat our way through the frezzer, only to find they've got rid of that & upped the sizes a little & they are now £3.50. :(

However, the are proper fillets of proper fish. The plaice, mackarel & unsmoked haddock were gorgeous.
    "This is a forum - not a support group. We do not "owe" anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions."
  • Maggie_Bob
    Maggie_Bob Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've got a bag of frozen white fish from tesco (best cooked from frozen), and am totally stuck for recipe ideas, so I was hoping someone here would have suggestions?
    In a better financial position than ever before (thank you MSE!). Moved back to Scotland and now trying to keep debt-free!
  • Ice_2
    Ice_2 Posts: 3,486 Forumite
    Options
    tin foil a piece add abit of butter with a squirt of lemon and salt and pepper to taste wrap it up and cook in over for about 30 mins I think I haven't done it in years but always turned out nice...or you could make a fish pie with it...15_12_9.gif

Plans for 2009
    1/ Get fit. 2/ Get my figure back. 3/ Get the MAN BACK! :kisses2::happylove
    contrary to popular belief, I am all Woman.
  • drifter34
    drifter34 Posts: 231 Forumite
    Options
    cut into fingers dip fish in beaten egg then into breadcrumbs ( fish goujons) serve with parsley sauce
  • drifter34
    Options
    shallow fry of course
  • drifter34
    Options
    is it coley? haddock?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories