PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Value Frozen White Fish

Options

Comments

• carrottopsuk
    Options
    Going slightly off at a tangent - does anyone have any recipes for fish pies and fish cakes that they could post?

Thanks
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My fish pie is very simple I'm afraid. I simmer the fish in a pint of milk until it flakes nicely, then I make a white sauce using the milk used to cook the fish. I add a tiny pinch of mustard powder to the white sauce, then I mix the fish and white sauce together with a cupful of frozen peas thawed out in the microwave and top with mashed potato.

If I have any spare I chuck in a handful of prawns too.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • carrottopsuk
    Options
    moggins wrote:
    My fish pie is very simple I'm afraid. I simmer the fish in a pint of milk until it flakes nicely, then I make a white sauce using the milk used to cook the fish. I add a tiny pinch of mustard powder to the white sauce, then I mix the fish and white sauce together with a cupful of frozen peas thawed out in the microwave and top with mashed potato.

If I have any spare I chuck in a handful of prawns too.

Brilliant Moggins! I'm very simple and have never made a white sauce before. (Haven't really cooked many dishes from scratch before) It's enough of a challenge to start with ;-)

Thanks again
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    Ive used the white value fish also without problems. We generally use for fish pie, or in pasta and always with parsley sauce.

Have tried Asda and another one (cant remember) and both werent very nice.

HTH

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • LearningToSave.
    Options
    i also use the value white fish for fish pies,fish cakes etc.
    its fine although i must say i've never thought about eating it on its own.
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    I've been tempted by the Tesco one but I was put off because it didn't specify what kind of fish it was. I'm not fussy, I like coley and other white fish - I just want to know what I'm eating.

I might compare the price of fresh coley with these bags.
  • katieowl_2
    katieowl_2 Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    Options
    I buy this and use it for either fish pies (along with a bit of smoked haddock if I can find some reduced ;) ) or to make a green thai fish curry, padded out with a nice cheap bag of prawns!!!

Regards

Kate
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Going slightly off at a tangent - does anyone have any recipes for fish pies and fish cakes that they could post?

Thanks

I've used the Tesco value fish in fish pie before and it's been fine. Here's my recipe for fish pie.

Pink
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Brilliant Moggins! I'm very simple and have never made a white sauce before. (Haven't really cooked many dishes from scratch before) It's enough of a challenge to start with ;-)

Thanks again

If you want a fish pie recipe with the sort of instructions that even I could follow, try this one. I've not tried it yet, but it looks good. :drool: :D
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • carrottopsuk
    Options
    If you want a fish pie recipe with the sort of instructions that even I could follow, try this one. I've not tried it yet, but it looks good. :drool: :D

That's fantastic - Thanks!!!

I'm sure you're more advanced than me - I've seen the cake you've made. :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport