PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Value Frozen White Fish

Options

Comments

• blue-kat
    blue-kat Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    Poggie123 wrote: »
    Hm fish cakes?

= home made fish cakes
  • chucklingbunny
    Options
    I use Tesco's white fish to make fish curry - it works really well.:cheesy:
  • focus888
    focus888 Posts: 1,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Recently i love to eat fish but fresh fish is so expensive. Ive started to buy the frozen fish fillets you can get from sainsbury or iceland. I dont really know how to make them so they dont taste so bland. I normally bake them with lemon juice and peel. Its edible but i want some more healthy ideas. Not sure what to do with them really? any help please? x
  • Ladyhawk
    Ladyhawk Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    Options
    What fish are you buying? There really shouldn't be any difference in the flavour between fresh and frozen and though in theory frozen should be better as it is often frozen within hours of catch, where as fresh has often either been knocking about for a few days or been frozen and drefrosted and knocking about for a few days. There would also been drip-loss from the fresh product which would dry it out slighty.

I would look for the MSC (marine stewardship Council) logo on the pack as well which denotes that the fish comes from a sustainable source.
    Man plans and God laughs...
    Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry. But by demonstrating that all people cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it introduces the idea that if we try to understand each other, we may even become friends.
  • hot.chick
    hot.chick Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    edited 22 August 2010 at 9:26AM
    Options
    as above - shouldn't be any diff...

but other ideas for fish...

spread some pesto on the top and gril or bake

sprinkle with cajun seasoning and grill or bake

Put in a tin foil parcel with a dash of wine, shallots, garlic and lemon, do the same but with soy, garic, chilli and ginger

make some lemon and garlic and herb bread crumbs and sprinkle on the top then grill for a crunchy topping.

All of these would be yummy and very healthy
  • Loulou2010
    Loulou2010 Posts: 13,245 Forumite
    Options
    make fishcakes? fishpie? kedgeree?
    "I have learnt that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one"
    "You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.”
    Maya Angelou
  • tracyk
    tracyk Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love Jamie Oliver's fish pie - here.

You don't even have to poach the fish - it's so easy!

I either use fish that I've managed to get YS in the supermarket or frozen fillets.
  • duckeggblue
    Options
    icelald salmon is lush,I just bake then add lemon juice,sea salt
    If you don't leap, you'll never know what it is to fly :heartpuls
  • EC12345
    EC12345 Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I also use frozen fish - I cook mine in the oven, then mix with some parsley sauce, top with mash potato and then bung in the oven - lovely - sometimes if I remember I also add some frozen prawns - husband loves it :j
    Mortgage Free
    Save £5,000 in 2020[CENTER
    :j
  • purpleheather2810
    Options
    Top with a tomatoey vegetable sauce (like a pasta sauce) and bake in the oven - voila, mediterranean baked fish.
    :D Skint but happy with my lovely family :D

Hypnotherapy rocks :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills