Laptop Insurance/Claim Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    Options
    Yup, it will be covered by your home insurance, if you have personal possessions cover it will be covered for all risks (other than breakdown) where ever it is.
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • nickinoo
    nickinoo Posts: 617 Forumite
    Options
    We had our laptop insured as a named item on our household policy but it did push the premium up somewhat, also this was a few years ago & the laptop cost £1800 more than the unspecified item cost (£1500).

I've just looked at that site you linked to, the prices seem pretty fair at less than £5 per month but then again I am insuring my entire home for only £25 per month & that's buildings & contents.
  • other
    other Posts: 307 Forumite
    Options
    If you cover your laptop at street price, and you need to claim for it at a later date, then surely a computer of the same spec will be so cheap as to make the insurance nearly worthless. Also, can they just fob you off with any random brand (lol i'm thinking of time and tiny) or does the new for old also mean the same brand and range (since you wouldn't want a mac book when you insured a mac book pro). :confused:
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    Options
    Usually when they replace it New For Old they give you a choice of a few.

The choices are based on what kind of machine you are replacing. A £1000 laptop now will still be a £1000 laptop in 5 years from an insurance replacement point of view.

One of my friends had a very old bottom range Compaq laptop which he managed to almost destroy by knocking it off a desk. He received an Acer Aspire as a replacement, not the best of machines but far better than the dinosaur it replaced.
  • other
    other Posts: 307 Forumite
    Options
    So they will be replacing your laptop with a similar spec or one of the same street value as now? ie £500 laptop which is better than the £1000 dinosaur, or a £1000 laptop?

I'm guessing similar spec £500?

Because after a few years the premiums and excess (if you did end up claiming) would have been enough for you to buy a similar spec machine anyway. I suppose high-end machines would benefit most from this scheme?
  • theCapt
    theCapt Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    Evening, I am looking for a good insurance firm so I can insure my HP iPAQ rx3715 Pocket PC. Recently a friend broke his by dropping it, which scared me how easily it was broken. Can any one point me in the right direction?

I want the insurance to cover damage, theft and lose of item.

Thanks in advanced
    Scottish proverb - "Never drink whisky with water and never drink water without whisky"
  • aj3001
    aj3001 Posts: 730 Forumite
    Options
    Should be covered under household insurance, I know our laptops are, even when they are taken out of the house, I think the stipulation is they can't be being used for work (but obviously, if it gets broken, you had no work stuff on there did you?!?!?!)
  • theCapt
    Options
    nothing has happened to my equipment was just looking for insurance to be on the safe side.
    Scottish proverb - "Never drink whisky with water and never drink water without whisky"
  • Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    Options
    For insurance out of the house you will need to ensure that your home/ contents insurance includes "personal possessions" cover.
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • Annie021063
    Options
    Had quote for 90.00 to insure my laptop with mastercare for the year. Can I get a better deal?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure