Great UK's Top Designer Charity Shops Hunt

Comments

• GraceC
    GraceC Posts: 21 Forumite
    Hello everyone, this is my first post, but I have been really loving this site since I discovered it a few months ago. I love charity shopping and as Bath is a fairly posh town it means that a lot of the charity shops do get some really good stuff.

If you are visiting Bath, then I would recommend Women's Aid on Walcot Street. It's one of those shops where everything is piled up together and you do have to search, prices are usually £1-£5 at the very most, although you can usually haggle a bit if you're getting a few things. In the past I've seen stuff by Karen Millen, Joseph and Planet but I'm sure there's lots that I didn't spot aswell. Plus all money raised all goes to a very good cause.The Shaw Trust shop on George Street is also very good, I remember seeing some Miu Miu boots there recently which disappeared very quickly!

Some of the shops in the town centre, especially the bigger charities, do price things quite highly, but compared to the designer shops in Bath, they're pretty good.
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Charity shops in Crawley are good for crockery and house stuff, but forget buying clothes. The usual overpriced Primark, Tesco and George. Old and tatty costs pounds.

The shop at Broadfield in Crawley is worth a look if you're there. I've got a nice M&S woman's shirt for £2.50 and a nice dress cheap.

Hove charity shops vary from v.exp to good value.
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Never bother buying clothes from charity shops either as they are full of clothes costing more than they went for originally .....primark peacocks etc but have found some really good paperbacks very cheap bought jane austens book club for 50p and chocolat and captain Morelli's mandolin for 50p each !
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Don't know if you get them down sounth, but the Bethany shops in Edinburgh are definately worth a look. I've had two hand knit Kaffe Fassett sweaters out of them for £5 each, ditto Fassett needlepoint kit and I even found a spinning wheel once...it was £50, but given that the same one cost £350 new I was thrilled to bits.

I miss the olde style charity shops of the 70's though, when they were dark, dingy and full of absolute treasues for pennies. I was a student in St Andrews in the late 70's and I don't think I bought anything new (apart from undies) for the whole four years. I had Bill Gibb and Jean Muir dresses and as much Laura Ashley and Biba as anyone could desire. I wish I'd kept them all....
    Val.
  • I'll still keep charity shop hunting because...well I guess I have a very bizarre fashion sense, so I still find things in there that give me a buzz. Besides its cheaper to go on a shopping spree in a charity shop :p

I tend to avoid the usual charity shops now such as Oxfam, Cancer Research etc because to me they just seem like corporate labels, and I often wonder how much of my money actually ends up going to charity! I'd much rather support the smaller local type charity shop, because they have to really struggle to survive if they are competing with the "Big Boys", and I find that charity shops in smaller towns tend not to try and charge you £7 for a New Look top that was probably only £3 to start with!

I tend to go for unusual clothes rather than designer labels (can't really complain about the corporate image of charity shops whilst wearing DKNY can I? ;)) so I have found that a lot of shops will price the "run of the mill stuff" i.e. New Look, Next, Per Una and the "designer" stuff at more or less the same price (maybe couple of £ more expensive), so there are absolute bargains to be had if designer clothes are your thing, its just that they're few and far between nowadays. Saying that, I have bought some cracking clothes from the Wilmslow/Alderley Edge charity shops over the years, which have been priced slightly higher than what I would normally pay.

I do have to giggle at certain shops in Alderley Edge though, who try to sell Florence and Fred for way more than what it would have cost originally lol
  • Brisith Heat Foundation price there goods well over priced.

British Red Cross is priced reasonlable.

Clann Sona in Motherwell (North lanarkshire) is reasonable to.
  • BoingBoing_2
    BoingBoing_2 Posts: 362 Forumite
    There are 4 charity shops in Great Malvern, and whilst I tend to pop in several times a week to see what's about, I do find I'm buying less and less in them due to the prices.

A couple of years ago I could go into any of the 4 and buy a paperback for 50p, read it and return it. In Oxfam a paperback now costs around £2.50.

Another charity shop has started increasing the costs on clothing too, tops are now between £3 and £5. 1 even tried to sell a Primark top (with tags in) for £1 more than the original price!

Whilst I understand the charity shops main purpose is to raise money for their charity, I do feel that some are pricing out some of their customers. Many of us still see charity shops as a great source of cheap clothing/books and a great way of keeping items out of landfill, they must remember that what they are selling is 2nd hand and so should not expect people to spend £4 on a top from Dorothy Perkins that only cost £4.50 new.

Having said that, Oxfam in Worcester usually has some fab items in their vintage section at the back of the shop :)
  • kw03cd
    kw03cd Posts: 87 Forumite
    Brisith Heat Foundation price there goods well over priced.

British Red Cross is priced reasonlable.

Clann Sona in Motherwell (North lanarkshire) is reasonable to.

Is Clann Sona behind the retirement home in Merry Street?

I find St Andrew's hospice shops are reasonably priced and they are all over Lanarkshire.
  • I really like the charity shops in South Woodford (E18). The Barnados is a gifts in kind store, including a bridal section, so everything is new (and the wedding dresses are dirt cheap). The Children's Society, Haven House and Heal Cancer are all cheap - the children's books are a bargain and I have bought kid's Gap in there for 50p! Cancer Research and Oxfam are more pricey, but I've seen DKNY and Burberry in them and everything they sell is in great condition.
    In a Den first, Theo Paphitis has been getting business information from a talking tree.
  • JesaRose
    JesaRose Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    I run a chain of hospice charity shops and have to say that we are more than happy to take poor condition clothes as we get money for them as rags.

Its not cost effective, very time/space consuming and just daft to expect charities to wash clothes before selling them to customers. If you bought something second hand you would wash it before wearing anyway so why wash it twice - that would be bad for the environment too.

There are some sweeping generalisations about pricing on here but you will find that many of the smaller charities don't hugely overprice their clothes like some large chains I could mention and if the charity can get a good price for something then thats good as its all for a good cause.
    Not been here in years! Hi everyone. Make £10 a day challenge = £78.45/155
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport