Great UK's Top Designer Charity Shops Hunt

Comments

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Any of the shops in Yarm near Darlington - Planet jackets for £4, suits for £8.Avoid the ordinary shops though - Footballers Wives clothes at Footballers Wives prices
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Puchased a pair of Seven for All Mankind Jeans in Bromley yesterday for a wooping price of £4 - these sell for over £100 normally. Didn't fit me, but fit my sister - gutted as I was seeing £££'s on ebay.
  • SuzySF
    SuzySF Posts: 118 Forumite
    i just love them - but not going to say where i go !!!!! I got a brand new with tags,spare buttons etc Frank Usher velvet evening dress for £15 (still had origial price tag of £225 on it !!) also picked up a Fendi belt for 50p, and a pair of MuiMui sandals for £20 !!!! I avoid the Cancer Charity shop as it is overpriced compared to others ...Oxfam have def put their prices up in the last 12 months ..not so cheap now ..and of course prices vary from shop to shop within the same charity - depends on what the locality is ....rural town are cheaper .. and yes they do have designer stuff in them :)
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • Some of my recent bargains are : A Mulberry handbag for £6.00, A Mulberry Handbag for £12.00, (Both totally genuine 'vintage' Scotchgrain), A Mulberry wallet for £5.00, A coach bag for £2.50, A Coach bag for £10.00, Russell and Bromley Ponkskin boots for £5.00, A pair of Marc Jacob shoes for £6.00, A lovely velvet dress and jacket for £2.50(Gerry Weber) a few Fenn, Wright and Manson items for £2.00 or £3.00.

Most of the above will be Ebayed when I've finished with it.

I find the best ones are the smaller charities such as FARA and DEBRA. There are still loads of bargains in the ones I go to, in confidential locations.
    A minute at the till, a lifetime on the bill.

Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

one life, live it!
  • The Shelter shop in Hamilton (nr Glasgow) quite often has brand new with tags items from M&S. I've seen a few Ted Baker items also brand new there too - I got a skirt for a tenner, the original price on the label was 90 quid.
  • Sophy wrote:
    Incidentally, I do wish charity shops would find a method of cleaning clothes other than steam cleaning!! Yes, it's thorough, but that sickly sweet, slightly stale aroma is repellent! Takes about three spins in the machine and an overnight airing (preferably on a rainy, windy night) to get rid of the eau de charity shop smell.

MOSt charity shop workers are volunteers and work very hard just to help out. Steaming the clothes is just to get the creases out so it looks better on the hanger, NOT for any washing purposes! The "sickly smell" is the previous persons fabric conditioner (if they've washed it at all!) any smell on the clothes is made stronger by the steamer, so that's were the smell is from! I resent your comments and feel you should be grateful that the charity shops are there in the first place, if it wasn't for hard working volunteer's THEY WOULD ALL BE CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Incidentely if it's not good enough for you don't shop in them! :D

DFWNERD no.1168Rules of Happiness 1)Free your heart of hatred 2) Live Simply 3):jEvery penny's a prisoner
  • DrFluffy
    DrFluffy Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    alliboy03 wrote:
    MOSt charity shop workers are volunteers and work very hard just to help out. Steaming the clothes is just to get the creases out so it looks better on the hanger, NOT for any washing purposes! The "sickly smell" is the previous persons fabric conditioner (if they've washed it at all!) any smell on the clothes is made stronger by the steamer, so that's were the smell is from! I resent your comments and feel you should be grateful that the charity shops are there in the first place, if it wasn't for hard working volunteer's THEY WOULD ALL BE CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Incidentely if it's not good enough for you don't shop in them! :D

Get a grip! It was someones opinion, like it or not... They commented on the smell (and it IS gross - from a charity shop volunteer!), not on the people who staff it or the cause...

If people didn't shop at them because of the smell, then the charities would suffer...
    April Grocery Challenge £81/£120
  • Cerenia
    Cerenia Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    I went into the Cancer Charity shop yesterday.. saw a nice plain black blouse, no brand on it... £6, I nearly died XD Cheaper to go to primark and donate some to charity.
    ~*Cerenia*~

2017 Goals
    Wedding Saving Pot - £1300/£2500

• Hi

Just a plug for a small shop based in Motherwell. North Lanarkshire

Clann Sona (Gaelic for Happy Children) sends aid to Romania and helps many needy families abroad and in the UK

The shop is small but has plenty bargains in clothes, furniture and electrical goods

It's at 244 Merry Street in Motherwell

Hugh Ferguson
  • LizD_2
    LizD_2 Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Gah! Makes me sick :D , New Look, Primark and M&S in Bournemouth shops
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income