PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Ewww my washing machine STINKS :(

Options

Comments

• newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    You'll find soda crystals in any supermarket. They are in a blue plastic bag, about the size of a bag of sugar, and they are usually with the stain removing stuff like 'Vanish'. They cost about 60p a bag.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • patchwork_cat
    Options
    Wilkinsons do soda crystals and boxes of sodium bicarbonate. Boots do borax.
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,687 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Snoogiewoogie, my friend had the same problem with her washing machine. Get a hold of Oxyclean (white crystalline powder comes in blue or pink tub), Asda stock it as well as most pound shops and Aldi's. Put two large scoops into the powder drawer and run the machine (empty) on its hottest setting. We ran my friends on 95C. Then when its finished run it on a rinse program, then run it again on hottest wash with another two scoops of Oxyclean. Trust me it works. Hope this helps.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • snoogiewoogie
    Options
    thanks for that, the smell is going slowly and I bought the soda crystals today and will give it another run tonight.

I am just soooo !!!!!! off, I will never ever do that again. But I cannot understand why people give stuff away that is not fit for use. I never do that.
  • pigeonpie
    pigeonpie Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    Options
    This is a wonderful site full of brilliant people!! :beer:
    Our rental WM is built in so can't get at the back. It leaves soap marks on clothes, particularly jeans etc. We cleaned the filter (aaaaaaaaaah, more slime than Alien) when we moved in but don't run it at more than 40 ever as the higher the temp, the more hours it takes. I am worried that if I run it empty I will damage the drum. What compartment do you put the vinegar in? Anything else? Is 60 degs ok (that would be 2 1/2 hours with this creature!). Plus do you set the spin cycle to the lowest setting,assuming I can work out how to do that. And I use powder blocks: should I use one not two (they come in packets of 2)?
    All the appliances here are de Dietrich, supposedly very good, but I don't know who wrote their manuals; just that they bear very little resemblance to reality.
    The oven one is the worst though - choose one of the power settings and it nukes a pizza in 3 mins on the top while leaving it raw underneath.:D
  • sheenaf
    sheenaf Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your problem may be because you are using 2 tabs for each wash. One is usually sufficient otherwise you get build up of gunk. I alternate between biological and non-bio powder which I think helps keep both machine and clothes ultra clean as one counteracts the effects of the other. I do a boil wash (with added bleach) for whites at least once a week but if your machine takes forever to do boil wash try this - set machine to shortest cycle (maybe rinse only?); pour some bleach or washing soda into powder tray; Fill up carefully using jug + v. hot water from sink or electric kettle; switch on and run cycle. The machine may draw a little water when it starts but basically you will get a 90 degree wash v. quickly.
  • DianaMattos
    Options
    Hi, sometimes when I use my washing machine, there is a nasty smell that just pervades the kitchen. I use a mixture of soda crystals and washing powder with some conditioner in the wash, and leave the washing machine door open when it is not being used. I also run an occasional empty hot wash with vinegar, but nothing seems to shift the smell.

My clothes do not smell, it is just the kitchen when the machine is being used.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can make the nasty niffs go away?

Thanks,

Diana
  • shell2001
    shell2001 Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    Options
    Nope we I have the same problem. I have done all of the above like you but its the pipework not the machine that smells. The pipes from our machine go into the plumbing for the sink so you get a nasty smell from the drains but only when washing machine is running.

Will watch this post with hope!!
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i had a similar problem, ended up doing bicarb and vinegar down the sink, in the washer drum and extra vinegar through the drawer left overnight, then a hot wash with vinegar, shifted it a bit, but never actually got rid of it. now its coming back again. does my head in, have to open a window everytime.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hot wash (90) with no laundry in and bicarb/vinegar usually works for me. Couple pints of boiling water down the sink. Is there a pipe leaking somewhere ? Are all the seals clean inside ?

http://www.thediaperhyena.com/washingmachinecare.htm found this
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport