Freecle / freecycle and balloons on sticks

Options

Comments

• cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sheltered housing and Day centres they love (mills an Boon) them you just have to be careful the old men don't have a heart attack over too many Thrusting Bosoms
  • Morty_007
    Morty_007 Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    Options
    2 classics from ours recently:
    1. OFFERED: Loft insulation - the itchy sort but you can never have too much insulation.... (they clearly DID have too much though!?)
    2. OFFERED: curtin pole for normal size window (A "normal" side window would be what size?!)
    Good Enough Club member number 27(2) AND I got me a stalkee!
    Closet debt free wannabe -[STRIKE] Last personal loan payment - July 2010[/STRIKE]:T, credit card balance about £3000 (and dropping FAST), [STRIKE]Last car payment September 2010 (August 2010 aparently!!)[/STRIKE]
    And a mortgage in a pear tree :D
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SEASHELL wrote: »
    Had a guy on ours looking for hair straighteners for his girlfriend but only if they were GHD because any others were rubbish:eek:

On ours there was a mum asking for GHD straighteners for her 14 year old daughter, but they could only be the limited edition most expensive GHD ones or her daughter would be bullied at school!

What causes a lot of raised eyebrows on my local one is the amount of people posting adverts that say, "I have just bought a new puppy/kitten, but cannot afford to buy any equipment for it. Can someone please give me a lead/bowl/bed etc etc". I live in a country area and I think a lot of people are quite shocked at the irresponsible attitude to pet ownership.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hermia wrote: »
    On ours there was a mum asking for GHD straighteners for her 14 year old daughter, but they could only be the limited edition most expensive GHD ones or her daughter would be bullied at school!

What causes a lot of raised eyebrows on my local one is the amount of people posting adverts that say, "I have just bought a new puppy/kitten, but cannot afford to buy any equipment for it. Can someone please give me a lead/bowl/bed etc etc". I live in a country area and I think a lot of people are quite shocked at the irresponsible attitude to pet ownership.

I see a lot of animal ones as well, I also see a lot of people asking for items which are obvious collectors items: Raleigh Chopper etc

I cleared our shed on Friday and offered an almost new Whirlpool cooker and hob that was destined to go in our kitchen and never did. It was dusty, but would have cleaned up. I requested only to ask if they could collect that day as it wasnt going back in the shed and it was going to rain overnight.

Amazingly, she never turned up to collect a grands worth of cooker which meant it did have to stay out overnight in the rain until the next person collected the next morning.

I'm not bothering again.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    Options
    " As Ralph tore her bodice open his gentle air abandoned him and he was consumed with an overwhelming passion that left unspent ".....etc etc

actually this JUST appeared on our Freegle

I am offering free to anyone who can collect, my Piano which I have owned and played since childhood. It has always had a beautiful tone, and was regularly tuned until last year. However since then, it has begun to echo, and buzz slightly so will need some repairs doing, as well as another tuning.

isnt that nice ! - it sought of balances things up to me from that blatent " we want - give it us now !" post to someone giving away such a beautifull thing as a piano

ying / yang

I've seen 2 or 3 people offering pianos in the last few months. They really are kind :) Freecycle is fine if you just ignore all the silly wanteds.
  • Lovetotravel
    Lovetotravel Posts: 386 Forumite
    Options
    I had been given a bag of over 100 nail polishes a few years ago and put them on Freecycle. People just came down to my place of work and took what they pleased from the bag and I had no problems.

One lovely lady even brought me a nice bunch of daffodils!
  • itsallinthemind
    itsallinthemind Posts: 3,114 Forumite
    Options
    I love freegle :)

I love the wanted ad's too, I'll often keep a good thing to one side instead of offering it, like recently my vacuum. I know that within 7 days someone will be desperate for one.

Yes okay, you get the greedy ones, but you meet some utterly lovely people on freegle. I have one lady who saves me everything from her children and I in turn mostly pass it all onto another lady. I met a very good mate (see 2/3 times a week)on freecycle and a few friends who I have a natter with often. One lady will also pick up anything I need! I never asked lol, she offered as the original item I wanted was very far to travel to collect.

If you ignore the rotten apples, there are some amazing people who have lovely hearts :)
  • AnxiousMum
    AnxiousMum Posts: 2,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have met some wonderful people on freecycle - I don't generally post 'offereds', as like said above, it's things that are asked for that you think 'oh yeah, I've got that and not used it in so long'. Have been happy to pass on a washer, dryer, dishwasher and a fridge to a young mum who had just left an abusive relationship and starting out on her own. Her post was from her parents who were trying hard to get her set up in her own place - got a lovely big hug from the daughter, and have since been able to pass on some other things to her as well. Another nice one was a dad who didn't have anywhere for his children to sleep when visiting him, and so his wife wouldn't let the kids visit. He was absolutely delighted with bunkbeds - which we also threw in some bedding etc.
    But yep - we get the same type of posts as above as well!
  • cally6008
    cally6008 Posts: 7,629 Forumite
    Options
    Ohhh puuurrrlease .... (pun intended) ... think of a witty reply for me to send back.

Message come through on Daily Digest bout 2 cats needing new homes.
    I used "messages" and "post" to send message to mods querying this message (tis quickest way to get message to any mods on a heavily moderated group)

Bearing in mind that I'm moderator for Freeshare in the same area, I do know how groups work and don't tell anyone off for using this method to get in touch with me about any Freeshare issues they may have
    You are correct, animals are not allowed, which includes cats. The member who posted the message was unmoderated and has been contacted by myself regarding her message. Whilst it would be nice if all members of the group adhered to the rules/guidelines all of the time, mistakes happen.

You on the other hand should know that you should have contacted the moderators by email, not posting your message to the group. To err is human. You obviously make mistakes also. As this is a matter for the *** Freegle moderators, I would suggest you mind your own business, and leave us to deal with ours.

*** Freegle Moderator
  • itsallinthemind
    itsallinthemind Posts: 3,114 Forumite
    Options
    cally6008 wrote: »
    Ohhh puuurrrlease .... (pun intended) ... think of a witty reply for me to send back.

Message come through on Daily Digest bout 2 cats needing new homes.
    I used "messages" and "post" to send message to mods querying this message (tis quickest way to get message to any mods on a heavily moderated group)

Bearing in mind that I'm moderator for Freeshare in the same area, I do know how groups work and don't tell anyone off for using this method to get in touch with me about any Freeshare issues they may have
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Not sure what to say,but they really are over the top!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure