We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Freecle / freecycle and balloons on sticks

1…240241243245246…325

Comments

  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I've got stuff in the loft I could use getting rid of - that I just cannot face dealing with the usual indiscriminate grabbers about... so it's staying up there mouldering. I bet I could predict to within 99% accuracy who I'd get emails from if I offered it too.
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • chickywiggle
    chickywiggle Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    I have just offered a frame tent on freegle. I stressed how bulky and heavy the bags were, and still I got 2 women who said "I don't drive but am on your bus route"! In the end I waited, and gave it to someone who already had a frame tent, but needed something bigger.
    Freegle is my last resort - too much hassle from greedy/rude people.

    oh noo I'da offered it the bus route people then watched them try and get it home. :rotfl::rotfl:
    loves how my "I've been censored" signature has been censored. LOL. Happy Christmas. :xmastree:
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,583 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    How do you 'desperately' need a breadmaker?
    WANTED: Desperately need a bread maker
    Have a friend who I know really wants a bread maker but I can't afford a
    new one. Hoping someone has a spare that I could use as a present. Happy
    to collect.

    AND she wants to give it as a gift!!!
  • markmas
    markmas Posts: 46 Forumite
    How do you 'desperately' need a breadmaker?

    Call me suspicious, but may be they have a 'desperate' need to clear all the boxes of free Wright's bread mixes they have accumulated?? Floor to ceiling stacked boxes of bread mix could be a health hazard. ;)

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/article-2121535/Ultra-money-savers-wreck-charity-bake-plans-free-bread-offer-goes-viral.html
  • 24skins
    24skins Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    Had what i assume was a trader/eBayer this week, she applies for everything I offer with sob stories & this time she was the only person that replied for my item. Turned up in a BMW with a personalised number plate - I'm a single parent with a disabled child; hope she was embarrassed, but doubt it.
    Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
  • sallyrsm
    sallyrsm Posts: 339 Forumite
    someone on mine has just asked for an electric cooker as their ex has left them without one after a (sic) brake-up, a sofa bed for their kids to have sleepovers, garden toys (not specific - mentioned they'd have anything from a pool to a (sic) tramplean, and a DVD player.
  • Splashy
    Splashy Posts: 172 Forumite
    sallyrsm wrote: »
    someone on mine has just asked for an electric cooker as their ex has left them without one after a (sic) brake-up, a sofa bed for their kids to have sleepovers, garden toys (not specific - mentioned they'd have anything from a pool to a (sic) tramplean, and a DVD player.

    Didn't we just take a sleeping bag and sleep on the floor when we stopped over anywhere?

    The youth of today don't know they're born :rotfl:
  • tiny_courageous
    tiny_courageous Posts: 1,275 Forumite
    Is it freecycle etiquette that mods get first dibs on stuff? I've just signed up to a new group in my local area and was awaiting my first offer to appear after moderation, which it still hasn't. However, did get a response saying "I'll have it". Not that bothered who it goes to, as long as it goes, so replied and it turns out the person who responded is a mod. Like I say, I don't mind who it was but I'd have thought that in the interests of fairness they should at least approve posts, and give everyone equal opportunity.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 8 April 2012 at 10:42PM
    24skins wrote: »
    Had what i assume was a trader/eBayer this week, she applies for everything I offer with sob stories & this time she was the only person that replied for my item. Turned up in a BMW with a personalised number plate - I'm a single parent with a disabled child; hope she was embarrassed, but doubt it.

    I know what you are saying, but.

    My hubby drives a BMW, it cost £400, it has a private plate, it was on the car when he bought it, so please don't hold that against people.

    We also have 6 kids, 2 of them are special needs, could she have disabled kids at home?


    We gave up on freecycle about a year go.
  • 24skins
    24skins Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    edited 8 April 2012 at 11:51PM
    I know what you are saying, but.

    My hubby drives a BMW, it cost £400, it has a private plate, it was on the car when he bought it, so please don't hold that against people.

    We also have 6 kids, 2 of them are special needs, could she have disabled kids at home?


    We gave up on freecycle about a year go.

    It was an estate & looked new, I assume if her kids were disabled she'd have put that in one of the seven sob story rambles she's sent me since I started Freecycling. The plate had her name on it so it's unlikely that it came with the car.

    I'm still raging about it & wish I'd just chucked them - I've suspected she was a trader since day one, she always replies within seconds; she's taking stuff & selling it on for sure.

    I joined Freecycle as I have environmental concerns & it gets my goat that people who are willing to lie for their own financial gain are abusing the system - they're fraudsters pure & simple (and more than likely evading tax by passing the goods off as their own used items).
    Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.