Freecle / freecycle and balloons on sticks

Options

Comments

• judderman62
    judderman62 Posts: 5,134 Forumite
    Options
    Amanita wrote: »
    Freecycles sole purpose is to save items from landfill.

Offering coupons/codes/vouchers does not strictly fulfill that purpose. As I said earlier however local groups can allow them to be offered at their discretion so some groups will and some won't.

ahhh yes - I see makes sense now. Thanks for clarifying :)
    Hate and I do mean Hate my apple Mac Computer - wish I'd never bought the thing
    Do little and often
    Please stop using the word "of" when you actually mean "have" - it's damned annoying :mad:
  • 24skins
    24skins Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    Options
    a) If your child is only 1 then surly you knew before you gave their stuff away you were pregnant?
    b) why leave it until a few days before you are due?

OHHH these requests annoy me.

It has also AMAZED me this week how many people have never heard of busses/ trams/ taxis and road maps (or google maps).

Note that she's "desperate" for these items, desperation keeps cropping up on our group - we've had some beauties lately, including someone "desperate" for a leather corner sofa. :rotfl:
    Same person -again this is in the same week - this is just today's batch:

Wanted: Garden furniture and BBQ
    Wanted: A working dishwasher - delivery would be great
    Wanted: Laminate flooring
    Last week someone asked for a cooker, washing machine & fridge and this week they've asked for the tumble drier & dishwasher. Next week they'll need someone round to cook dinner.
    Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    why would it be against the rules to offer vouchers ? they have a value but so does anything you offer ? Seems no logic there if it is indeed against the rules.
    As Amanita says, it's about keeping things out of landfill.

A voucher is a tiny thing to be discarded, and is fully recyclable. The environmental cost of driving somewhere to collect a voucher is considerably more than the environmental cost of throwing a voucher in the recycling bin.

Most people forget that it's about keeping things out of landfill. Most people seem to think that it's about "generous" people giving stuff away to "needy" people.
    That's why they get cross when people who aren't so "needy" post wanteds.
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Vouchers are offered on the local freecycle cafe site, as are offers of man & van, plumbers, animals etc. In fact the only thing they and the freecycle group don't accept is children - not saying some haven't tried though ;)
  • Paully232000
    Paully232000 Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    I would not be suprised now if we get,
    "I would like a 3-bedroom house.....must be furnished to a good standard, and must be in a nice area"
  • pinkladyof66
    pinkladyof66 Posts: 1,829 Forumite
    Options
    I have to apologise as I was one of those earlier this week that gave a little sob story - gentleman offered a ride along car in good nick and working order - been after one for our 3 year adopted son (been with us 6 months) for ages - but didnt want to pay £50 for an item he would only use for about 6 months - so I said that our son really wanted one as hadnt had much in his previous life - and would be so excited - the kind gentleman offered it to us and my son has not got out of it since we picked it up on Sunday he loves it too bits - i will recycle it again soon when he has outgrown it.

i dont normally go in for sob stories but really wanted this car as been on the lookout or ages. So I must apologise to all those people who dont like sob stories.

Make £200 by end of January... £20.42/£200
    Grocery Challenge £200 pm Jan £0/£200
    January no spend days - 1/31
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    So I must apologise to all those people who dont like sob stories.
    For me personally, it's not that I don't like sob stories, it's that I find them hard to believe.
    So many people reply with sob stories that they can't all be true. Which makes you question any of them. And there's no way to verify them.
    For me, then, someone replying with a made up sob story will go further down the list than someone who just asks for it.
  • Chopsie&Chelvis
    Options
    I had a childrens item listed on ebay recently, starting at £20, was already up to £30 with 4 days to go, when I received a message from a woman with a long sob story about being really poor, various disabled children and sick relatives and so could she have it for free and 'u wud av to deliver' because of [blah blah, sick partner or 3 legged dog or some nonsense]. Wouldn't have given it to her anyway, but especially not after seeing her feedback from buying multiple items of clothing, shoes, games etc ...

Thought about pointing her towards freecycle, but I think there are enough of her type on there already!
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I think Elmer Fudd is on mine!!
    WANTED: warious things

And then we have....
    Wanted Any Working Unwanted HD Ready Flat Screen TV, For Grateful Home.
    Villeroy & Bosch Botanica china
    Any pieces of V & B Botanica china (plates, cups, bowls etc.) hugely
    appreciated - moving resulted in many pieces of this much loved china
    broken

I had to look this one up on eBay, £22 a side plate......

:)
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hi there, I am an Au-pair/traveler and have lost My Samsung Galaxy S,
    looking to replace it with a similar phone. Do you have a phone for
    me? :D Peace

Peace? How nice. Still wouldnt give you a £200 phone though.
    Hi I am in real desperate need of a laptop if anyone has a spare one or
    no longer has a use for theirs i would be very happy if you could find
    it in yourself to donate it to me ppppppppppppllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeee-
    eaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Seems the laptop you are currently using is suffering from issues with the p, l, e, a and s keys.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure