Freecle / freecycle and balloons on sticks

Options

Comments

• Amanita_2
    Amanita_2 Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    Options
    Wei-Huang wrote: »
    The thing that annoys me the most is people giving animals away and some group mods being too snotty to enforce a no animal policy.

Freecycle rules ALLOW animal postings but each local group has discretion to not permit this.

If you don't like your local groups policy then speak to your list owner about whether it can be changed.
  • Wei-Huang
    Wei-Huang Posts: 346 Forumite
    Options
    Amanita wrote: »
    Freecycle rules ALLOW animal postings but each local group has discretion to not permit this.

If you don't like your local groups policy then speak to your list owner about whether it can be changed.

I know full well they allow it. I've already spoken to rutland and got a snotty reply back. Freecycle as an organisation should bar all groups from allowing animals to be given away. Animals are not items to be recycled, period.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • VanillaDelia
    Options
    On ours today..... Why cant people be grateful for anything they are given for free? Instead they always seem to have specific requirements. Well I guess at least they said 'Thanks', which most dont!
    HI, I'm looking for a hi fi stand/rack for my separates system. Must be a proper stand with good weight and sturdy design. Would prefer black/wood finish with at least two shelves. I'm also after two stands for bookshelf speakers, which again would prefer in black, be of good design and weight and be at least 40cm high. Thank you very much
  • Amanita_2
    Options
    I know full well they allow it. I've already spoken to rutland and got a snotty reply back. Freecycle as an organisation should bar all groups from allowing animals to be given away. Animals are not items to be recycled, period.

There is no easy solution to this.

The alternatives are that they end up in one of the already overstretched animal welfare charities, put down or even simply abandoned at the roadside. Freecycle does at least provide the opportunity for a suitable home to be found.
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bunnygirl wrote: »
    And this one which I find a little strange

Desperately seeking a double pushchair please for my grandkids. Their mum has
    just started voluntary work in a charity shop and it means my son can't get out
    the house with the kids. Please if anyone has one they no longer need it'll b a
    godsend to them.
    Thanks for reading and I can collect on their behalf.

Is she taking the pushchair they already have to her charitable work, maybe skip diving on the way & needs to be able to push the stuff she retrieves,or perhaps he can't push a pram & hold a toddlers reins at the same time?
  • Wei-Huang
    Wei-Huang Posts: 346 Forumite
    Options
    Amanita wrote: »
    There is no easy solution to this.

The alternatives are that they end up in one of the already overstretched animal welfare charities, put down or even simply abandoned at the roadside. Freecycle does at least provide the opportunity for a suitable home to be found.

Y'what?

Rehome centres provide spay/neuter, innoculations, and certified home check. Free to good home doesn't. So there is a solution. Stop giving away animals to potential abusers and potential breeders who just add to the overpopulation problem, stop abandoning them, and make sure everyone knows where to take their unwanted animals and where to rehome an animal if they want to take on one.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Crocswearer
    Crocswearer Posts: 211 Forumite
    Options
    hermum wrote: »
    Is she taking the pushchair they already have to her charitable work, maybe skip diving on the way & needs to be able to push the stuff she retrieves,or perhaps he can't push a pram & hold a toddlers reins at the same time?

Ha ha! But "voluntary work in a charity shop" is supposed to work like "open sesame"! :D

Is it just me, or are others put off by sob stories? I'm more likely to give if they just ask politely for what they want!
  • Oliver14
    Oliver14 Posts: 5,878 Forumite
    Options
    Y'what?

Rehome centres provide spay/neuter, innoculations, and certified home check. Free to good home doesn't. So there is a solution. Stop giving away animals to potential abusers and potential breeders who just add to the overpopulation problem, stop abandoning them, and make sure everyone knows where to take their unwanted animals and where to rehome an animal if they want to take on one.
    You do realise a lot of shelters actually put down healthy animals when they cant rehome them in a certain period of time. I'd take the rose tinted glasses off as much as shelters can be good they are not the panacia you seem to think. For example Battersea dogs home on average put down 2500 healthy dogs a year,

Sometimes people have to give animals up for reasons out of their control. So some people would rather rehome the animals themselves rather than risk taking them to some rehome centres where they could be put down if they arent rehomed or deemed not suitable. I've worked for some centres and their Home checks arent always as good as you seem to think.

If freecycle give people an avenue that they can contact potential people to rehome there animals to whats the problem. How do you know they are all abusers have you met them all? I know of people who have rehomed a cat via freegle. They checked the responder out dit there own assessment of them. The cat now has a happy healthy home found by there former owner who had to give them up due to illness.

I think you need to step off that high hosre a bit.
    'The More I know about people the Better I like my Dog'
    Samuel Clemens
  • drc
    drc Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    Options
    I offered a sofa - in fairly good condition, clean and good make. Got asked to send photos of said sofa to various enquirers but then no replies. In the end it went to charity.

It seems beggars can be choosers. And I thought it were in a recession with lots of hard up people. Apparently not.
  • Amanita_2
    Options
    Y'what?

Rehome centres provide spay/neuter, innoculations, and certified home check. .

In an ideal world yes but this isn't an ideal world. Many people can no longer afford to keep their pets and donations to animal sanctuaries are well down so it's a double whammy.

Using freecycle is no different really to the time honoured method of putting a postcard in the local newsagents window, a small ad in the paper or the usual choice around here of putting a notice on the front gate. It just reaches a larger audience.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure