Freecle / freecycle and balloons on sticks

Options

Comments

• olibrofiz
    olibrofiz Posts: 821 Forumite
    Options
    Is there any etiquette on freecycle? How long should you wait for your 'chosen one' to get back to you? Especially if you have a lot of replies & the item needs to go PDQ.

Put an offer of a working fridge freezer on freecycle last night, after deleting the 'i'll have it', 'want ur frigde frezzer', 'need a freezer to put the baby's milk in' (??), a sob story etc, etc, I emailed someone my number. By 1pm today, no reply, so I emailed them to say sorry, had lots of responses, didn't think you were that keen, have contacted someone else.

Fridge freezer went, then 1st person rang to say they'd emailed back to say he'd had to go out (still not got the email).

Feeling a little guilty now for being hasty?
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unfortunately that happens, I've hung around for ages waiting for people to get back to me & they never do. I tend to send an email to a couple of people saying that's what I've done & whoever can collect the soonest will get it. Mind you I always say that I would like people to give me a specific day & time they can collect, & only now respond to them.
    I wouldn't feel too guilty, you offered something for free because you needed it gone.
    I offered a large piece of furniture 10 days ago or so, about 4 people were desperate for it, crossing off the, send me pictures & when can I view it ones. It's now on ebay as the desperate people never returned my messages.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    olibrofiz wrote: »
    Put an offer of a working fridge freezer on freecycle last night, after deleting the 'i'll have it', 'want ur frigde frezzer', 'need a freezer to put the baby's milk in' (??), a sob story etc, etc, I emailed someone my number. By 1pm today, no reply, so I emailed them to say sorry, had lots of responses, didn't think you were that keen, have contacted someone else.

While my littl'un was on SCBU (and even after he came home), I was expressing breastmilk to feed to him later. This had to be frozen to be stored. Just thought I'd give a possible explanation!
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • olibrofiz
    olibrofiz Posts: 821 Forumite
    Options
    While my littl'un was on SCBU (and even after he came home), I was expressing breastmilk to feed to him later. This had to be frozen to be stored. Just thought I'd give a possible explanation!

Ahhhh, not quite as ??? as I thought at the time :D but surely if you had to do this, you'd buy a freezer rather than wait for one off freecycle (I would anyways!)

And hermum, thank you. Hope you sell your furniture
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    olibrofiz wrote: »
    Is there any etiquette on freecycle? How long should you wait for your 'chosen one' to get back to you?

I usually say to the person I've offered an item to that if I don't hear from them by, say, 5pm then I'll offer to the next person. I give them maybe 12 hours, that's usually long enough for someone to check their emails.
  • kronenbourg
    kronenbourg Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    i am down in cornwall and have some strange requests on a daily basis

heres a selection of the weekends gems

WANTED Machine Knitting ( i am starting a new business )
    WANTED industrial sewing machine‏ ( i am starting a new business
    Wanted: playstation 3 ( mines broken and can afford new one )
    WANTED: ride on lawnmower( mine was stolen at the weekend
    Wanted Cement mixer please ( building an extension )
    Wanted - Wind turbine
    Wanted - massgage chair ( hubby suffers from bad back )

also about a year ago i had a big old telly i got rid of on there and the following week i saw it on sale at a local carboot for £25
  • mttylad
    mttylad Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wei, you are sadly very ill informed about what is happening on Freecycle/Freegle groups with regard to animals.

I have run some of these groups for the past 6 years, allowing animals to be rehomed via them.
    Every person that wants help rehoming their pets get sent information on all the local rescue centres - which by the way are full to busting
    do NOT do home checks - do NOT display any sort of no kill policy. They are asked to try them first - most do and are turned away.
    So what then? we have canals & brick handy - perhaps they should be used? or turf the animal out on the street?

Local papers are no longer local and advers cannot be placed so easily.

On these recycling groups we have a user base of thousands in the local community, so in order to try and assist people in rehoming their pets (not chucking them into cages for months on end) we allow them to ask on the group, to find a new home. We just ask that they do so using the existing subject line format which means that it has to be a OFFER of a pet, no WANTED posts are allowed (they are pointed to the full shelters).

To date, despite repeated requests to those that get on their high horse and claim that animals have been harmed because the group has been involved, not a single animal has - in fact I have numerous communications from people extolling how happy the animals are with their new keepers. The day that someone proves that an animal has been harmed because of our groups involvement WILL be the day that animal posts stop, until then its all just hot air because I know the opposite.

And be under no delusions that animals do not end up in landfill - many is the time when they have been killed and put in wheely bins.

On the other hand, animals from rescue centres have been known to come with diseases and fleas, no traceable history and in all the dealing I have had with them for my own pets - not a single one has ever wanted to come and look around my house.

Perhaps if you are such an expert on the matters then how about joining your local group and offering to be the pet moderator?
    These are the people that assist people in rehoming heir animals (I once had one that DID do home visits locally) and all this is still for free.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,606 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'm getting fed-up of the cutsey stories that are cropping up with wanted ads.

I need a stairgate as dog going upstairs to cats hidey-hole
    I need a playpen so I can work and keep child in mini prison

Not to mention the streams of kids who are desperate for x, y and z.
  • pleasedelete
    pleasedelete Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hermum wrote: »
    I offered my old one, including working oven & hob, everyone who offered to take it off my hands wanted it delivering. One cheeky cow even wanted to know if I had anyone who could put it in for her, as she couldn't afford to pay anyone. It went for £50 on ebay instead.

I offered mine on free cycle. It was only 3 years old but not my taste and we were building an extension. A lovely couple- he was a policeman (not that that makes you lovely but in did feel safe to leave them alone in my house) came and spent 3 days between Christmas and new year taking it all out and labelling each bit.

She was moving into his bachelor house as they were marrying and apparently their kitchen was awful
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge £50 a day. £ 1682.50/1550

October challenge £100 a day. £385/£3100
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    Wei-Huang wrote: »
    I'm well aware of this, that's why people should give to NO-KILL shelters, of which there are plenty, and I am a trustee of one.
    there are not plenty and you being a trustee of one does not make you an expert on them all
    I'm wearing no rose-tinted glasses, it is you who is, ignoring how many animals fall into the wrong hands because of free to good home ads.

I've already explained to you the problem. Free to good home does not ensure a CERTIFIED home check, or a legally binding contract where the animal can be taken back if abused. Free to good home does not provide spay/neuter services before rehoming so you will have idiots using free animals for breeding. Free to good home is not going to have legal access to a banned from having animals register. Free to good home is not going to have the opportunity to provide inoculations.

And anyone who wants to get in contact with the new carers for their animal can easily ask the sanctuary to forward them the details. Not so hard. A few successful homes does not make up for the blatant disregard for the danger that free to good homes puts animals in. Countless animals have ended up abused and killed because they were so easily gotten.

So I'll get off my so called high horse when you and others stop defending the blatant wrong doing of this so called animal loving nation.

Grow up please. Got an issue have a tissue.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport