60th Birthday, present & party ideas (merged)

Options

Comments

• Counting_Pennies_2
    Options
    How about a magazine subscription, so she gets something each month to remind her of your gift.
  • smileylunar
    Options
    I bet she would like nothing more than A night, or afternoon with you, have a takeaway, bottle of wine and a good old chat about you , her ,the world your family ,or a game of scrabble/cards crosswords..... mums love the special times with their daughters and sons and it cost's very little but it's priceless. and if you need to give her a pressie , then a big hug will last forever....
    when things go wrong, Don't go with them!
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Have a look in the garden centre for a rose bush. You can get them with names like "Happy Birthday" or you might find something related to her name.

She'll get a lot of pleasure from it every summer.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • Sarahjovi
    Sarahjovi Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought my mum this book called 'Now We Are Sixty'

http://www.countrybookshop.co.uk/books/index.phtml?whatfor=1840323035

You may want to shop around for the best price though, I just googled quickly.

Sarah
  • freebie_junkie
    Options
    a magazine subscription with a free gift? i think whsmith has 'boxed' ones you can wrap up and then the person picks their own title. my auntie buys my grandma a yearly sub to woman and home every christams and it lasts her a month to teh next one :)

perhaps getting a set of hand garden tools engraved with her name and the date of her borthday?

a plant with her name? or one thats called '60' something?

a really nice big plants/gardening volume, my grandma has a really big illustated one thats as big as an atlas, she loves it
    :T The best things in life are FREE! :T
  • nickyc_2
    Options
    My mum is into gardening - got her an apple tree, self pollinating, which sits in a pot on the patio...everytime she eats an apple she can think of me!
  • LizD_2
    LizD_2 Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Really like the idea of named plants or a fruit tree, but I had a look in the garden centre, sadly not much there as they seem to be getting ready for winter.

Totally stumped: she doesn't read magazines and she's not a person who's into "stuff". Why are parents so hard to buy for?!
  • nickyc_2
    Options
    for last brithday we brought mum a few bits & pieces for maniures & pedicures...and then I spent the afternoon giving her a manicure & pedicure! As well as her getting a bit of pampering, it was also nice to spend a few hours chatting and catching up (although sight of mum's feet in washing up bowl made me laugh quite a bit as well)

If you're any good at cooking you could make her a nice meal or a birtday cake - always seems to go down well.

Or how about National Trust membership?
    http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-trust/w-support/w-jointoday/w-jointoday-gift_membership.htm

or English Heritage - over 60's is £26 per year
    http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.899
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Why not make her up a garden hamper with all kinds of gardening things in - i am doing this for FIL for C-mas, and got loads of stuff in tescos sale that were reidiculously reduced - about £25 quids worth of stuff for £5 ish. You could also put in one of those mugs with the lids on, a nice pack of biscuits and some hand cream for when she takes the gardening gloves off.
  • alison6692
    alison6692 Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    I love these for rose bushes

I think they are out of season so you will have to just put a pic in the card and she will get it soon

http://www.countrygardenroses.co.uk/
    :heart2:Mum to my little Daisy 3 and Archie 1.:heart2:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family