60th Birthday, present & party ideas (merged)

Have any of you wise people got any suggestions as to what i can buy my mum for her 60th Birthday? (end of Aug)
I would like to spend maybe £25 / £30. (even less if i can get away with it ;)) LOL
Would like to get something very different - away from the flowers and ornaments theme (she has so many).
All suggestions greatfully recieved.
Many thanks,

Squibbs
My beloved dog Molly
27/05/1997-01/04/2008
RIP my wonderful stepdad - miss you loads
:Axxxxxxxxx:A
our new editions
Senna :male: and Dali :female: both JRT

Replies

• squibbs25squibbs25 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Cant believe no-ones got any ideas!

Please, any ideas gratefully welcomed! :)
    My beloved dog Molly
    27/05/1997-01/04/2008
    our new editions
  • stichersticher Forumite
    599 Posts
    Does she like being pampered? If she does, a facial massage is around £20 and is VERY relaxing and would make a slightly different gift. Or maybe buy her (and yourself or a friend of hers) a ticket for a day out on a coach. My Mum and I went to Wisley one year and it was a lovely day. Or maybe tickets to the theatre. I would not have considered this before but they do all sorts of evenings, not just plays. The have music evenings (does she like a particular type of music? ) They had a Carpenters one out our theatre recently, and World War music, etc.

Do you have any ideas I can get for my Nephews 18th birthday? lol.
  • mah_jongmah_jong Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    I prefer giving and recieving gifts that are not 'stuff'!

I had a great unexpected treat last year (big birthday) that was of this type. A trip away! It was all planned by others including time off work ...devious lot!

So along that theme...... as suggested facials.. spa day out .... hair dressers vouchers .... meal out ...take your mum out for lunch need not be expensive! Make the day of it...trip to another town. Pictures/ theatre, evening out. ??
  • gravitytollsgravitytolls Forumite
    13.6K Posts
    A nice family type photo , in a nice frame?
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
  • MishyMishy Forumite
    282 Posts
    A nice bottle of champagne.

Write a your own poem and frame it for them.

Take them to a show.
    Please Thank Me

Thank You
  • i know u said u wanted to get away from flowers - but if u go to the bbc nurseries online u can get such beautiful roses and other plants with such lovely names - i got all of my children plants when they were christened and i chose them so they bloomed on their birthdays - years on they like my children r flourishing and it is a joy to see them bloom on their birthdays - a thoughtful pressie for a tenner = very mse :)
    olympic challenge starting 7/1/07:j
    1.3K Posts
    Thank you wise-guys, you've given me some supererb ideas.

Like mah-jong says, i dont want to giver her 'stuff'!

I like the idea of the rose bush or plant for the garden to bloom on her birthday.

We (sisters and me) clubbed together for mini break in Spain recently for Mum and Dads Silver Wedding Anniversary. Presented them with the tickets the day before they went ;) They were over the moon and well shocked that we could be so underhanded! LOL

The pamper session, champange, sounds really good too.
    Thanks again for the ideas.

Squibbs xxx
    My beloved dog Molly
    27/05/1997-01/04/2008
    our new editions
    1.3K Posts
    i know u said u wanted to get away from flowers - but if u go to the bbc nurseries online u can get such beautiful roses and other plants with such lovely names - i got all of my children plants when they were christened and i chose them so they bloomed on their birthdays - years on they like my children r flourishing and it is a joy to see them bloom on their birthdays - a thoughtful pressie for a tenner = very mse :)

Have you got the wbsite address, as all i can get is info on childrens nurserys! :confused:
    My beloved dog Molly
    27/05/1997-01/04/2008
    our new editions
  • seven-day-weekendseven-day-weekend Forumite
    36.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I will be 60 in 3.5 years. I would love anything to do with travel or other entertainment. I would be overjoyed with an over-60s Railcard or a concert or theatre ticket.

I would not want 'stuff' although flowers are nice.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • MishyMishy Forumite
    282 Posts
    We were going to book a cottage in the country for my mother-in-law for the weekend. Just having close family together we could pamper her.

Maybe if some of you clubbed together you could go off somewhere nice.
    Please Thank Me

Thank You
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals