PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

blackberry picking

Options

Comments

• Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kazonline wrote:
    Boiled blackberries are now 'strained' - the juice is for the jelly, but can I use the pulp in a crumble?..... more to the point - would the pulp be NICE in a crumble? :D Seems a waste to throw it!
    Kaz x
    Or a face pack if you want to look a bit pink LOL;)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • nabowla
    nabowla Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    I recently bought a wonderful 1920s cookbook full of jam recipes. One of the blackberry jam recipes has me puzzled though. It says:

"Allow half a pound of good brown sugar to every pound of fruit; boil the whole together gently for one hour, or till the blackberries are soft, stirring and mashing them well."

That's the entire set of instructions! I know a bit about preparing jars (good clean in dishwasher, gently warmed in oven, then warm jam into warm jars). What I'm puzzled about is whether the jam will set without any pectin or other setting ingredients. Has anyone got any ideas? Also, I can't remember whether the lids go on when everything's warm or after the jars have cooled completely. Any help/advice/additional instructions gratefully received!
  • Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Options
    Sarahsaver wrote:
    Or a face pack if you want to look a bit pink LOL;)
    Could do with a bit of colour TBH :D

Nabwola - sorry, haven't a clue, I'm a complete novice and would like to know those answers myself!

Leonie - I read somewhere on here the other day that you can freeze if you've not got enough and keep addiing 'til you've plenty, so I guess the answer to 'can you freeze the excess' would be yes. Sorry, but forgot where exactly I read it, and now can't find it!:rolleyes:
    Kaz x

Or should that be :o folowing my face pack ala Sarahsaver :rotfl:
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
    Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Nabowla my Good Housekeeping Complete Book of Preserving has a useful table of pectin content of different fruits. Blackberries as you can see are reasonably high in pectin and so you don't need any extra unless you're after a 'stiff' jam. It's been along time since I bought jam, but from what I remember it is pretty stiff. I like jams and jellies to be softish. Not so soft they run everywhere but about the consistency of, say, a mashed bananat:D Any way here's that list.

Pectin content of fruit

Good
    cooking apples
    crab apples
    currants (red and black)
    damsons
    gooseberries
    lemons
    limes
    seville oranges (for marmalade)
    plums (some varieties)
    quinces

These fruits will not need any pectin at all added, you can also add them to fruits low in pectin.

Medium

Eating apples
    apricots
    bilberries
    blackberries
    greengages
    loganberries
    mulberries
    plums
    raspberries

Unripe fruit has more pectin, so if you use a proportion of unripe berries in your blackberry jam you should get a better set.

Low

Bananas
    cherries
    elderberries
    figs
    grapes
    japonicas
    medlars
    melons
    nectarines
    peaches
    pineapple
    rhubarb
    strawberries

HTH;)

I put lids on jars as soon as I've potted my jam and tighten them when cool.
  • nabowla
    nabowla Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    That's a fantastic list - I think I'll have to print it out and keep it for future reference. Off now to make jam!
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    I took on an allotment earlier this year and the blackberries or brambles as I like to call them, are everywhere!!

I made wine last year but this year wanted to make as much as possible to carry me through the cold winter months.

Ive got 6 demi-johns on the go and a five gallon bucket awaiting the sugar to be added.:j

Ive frozen some and am hoping relatives can give me freezer space so I have plenty to go at for when the fruit is no longer avaiable.

Call me greedy if you like but no-one else seems bothered with them down the allotment and the wine is to die for.

Just hope Ill have some left for myself after Ive given out to everyone ive promised a bottle to :rolleyes:
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • Icemaiden
    Icemaiden Posts: 641 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    KANTANKRUS MAREWould love the instructions on how to make your Blackberrie wine!:j I was only thinking about trying to make it whilst picking this aft.
    Rebel No 22
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    Three and a half pound of blackberries
    half pint red grape juice concentrate
    two pound sugar
    6 pints boiling water
    one tea spoon citric acid
    half teaspoon tannin
    1 teaspoon pectic enzyme
    1 teaspoon yeast nutrient
    burgundy yeast

Method:

1. Wash, drain and crush the blackberries. Pour on 6 pints of boiling water and when cooled, add the acid, tannin,pectic enzyme, red juice concentrate,nutrient and yeast.

2. Ferment for 5 days, covered somewhere warm.
    Stir in the disolved sugar (pour on boiling water and boil till dissolved)

Pour into demi john, top up with cold water.

Fit an air lock and allow to ferment untill less than one bubble per 60 seconds is going through.

Transfer to clean demi jar and add two crushed campden tablets.

Sounds complicated I know but worth it I can assure you.

All the ingredients and stuff you need can be got from a homebrew shop.

Make sure fermenting jar, demi john and bottles are thoroughly sterilised though!!

Happy brewing;)
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Options
    Cor - cheers for that.... I think I know how to revive my DS1's (age 16)interest in picking the blackberries....
    Lol, in fairness to him he doesn't drink (I think!) and he even wanted to stay up and watch the last bit of the jelly making!!!
    He did disappear come wash up time... - ok, after licking things clean and putting to soak :D
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
    Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.
  • rubytuesday
    rubytuesday Posts: 22,383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nabowla wrote:
    I recently bought a wonderful 1920s cookbook full of jam recipes. One of the blackberry jam recipes has me puzzled though. It says:

"

What I'm puzzled about is whether the jam will set without any pectin or other setting ingredients. Has anyone got any ideas?
    It depends what fruit you are using some eg apples are high blackberries,elderberries quite lw strawberies very low I think you can use lemon juice to help setting.
    Here dead we lie because we did not choose
    To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
    Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
    But young men think it is,
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business