PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

blackberry picking

Options

Comments

• rubytuesday
    rubytuesday Posts: 22,383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sorry If I'd finished reading the thread I'd have seen someone else gave a much more comprehensive answer already!x
    Here dead we lie because we did not choose
    To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
    Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
    But young men think it is,
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    :rotfl: :rotfl: I just read your previous post and thought 'well, that's what I said, hmmmph' :rotfl:
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    we got a 2 pint jug full of big blackberries today and about another half jug yday :)

spotted another place today where there were loads ;) so back for more tomorrow lol

going to make blackberry muffins and an apple and blackberry crumble i think

how long can i keep blackberries in the freezer ?
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    they will keep a long time in freezer
  • letsgobilliejoe
    Options
    myself and my better half got a shedload today (Altrincham, Cheshire). However, there are plenty still to ripen on the bushes and, as they are only a 5-10 min walk from our house (and the town centre, if anyone wants any), I'll be having plenty for the next few weeks. The nettle stings and thorn !!!!!s (stupid me wearing shorts!) were well worth it.

HM apple and blackberry pie to celebrate A Level results tomorrow!!
    Monthly Food Budget: out of the window
  • rubytuesday
    rubytuesday Posts: 22,383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In Richard Mabeys book is reciepe for something that sounds like blackberry ketchup can't remember what is was called will have a look.
    Sorry it wasn't blackberies it was elderberries and called Pontack sauce (you're supposed to keep it for 17 years before use !!!):eek: sounded good though and they are just about ready here.
    Here dead we lie because we did not choose
    To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
    Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
    But young men think it is,
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • jay-jay
    jay-jay Posts: 465 Forumite
    Options
    Went blackberry picking today with my children, they had a great time and I was looking forward to making a nice crumble for tea. Then I rang my mum and she told me when we were kids she use to do the same until she noticed all the grubs inside them ,yuck - give them away lol (always one isnt there)
    I hope that my child, looking back on today
    Will remember a mother who had time to play;
    Because children grow up while you're not looking,
    There are years ahead for cleaning and cooking.
    So, quiet now cobwebs, dust go to sleep.
    I'm nursing my baby, and babies don't keep.
  • Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Options
    Rachie_B wrote:
    we got a 2 pint jug full of big blackberries today and about another half jug yday :)

spotted another place today where there were loads ;) so back for more tomorrow lol

going to make blackberry muffins and an apple and blackberry crumble i think

how long can i keep blackberries in the freezer ?

Hey Rachie - ''Bar cwtch, bar cwtch, don't come to my cwtch' ;)

It's what they used to say years ago when they found a good 'patch' to keep others away from it, lol

I was just wondering - does anyone know if there is an 'ideal' time of the day to pick - ie a time when fruit is at its best flavour?

I managed to get a few demijons today so I think the boys and I will be busy picking over the next few days thanks to the recipie for wine!
    Kaz x
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
    Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.
  • miss_pink_4
    Options
    Yep we,ve been blackberry picking and made a lovely apple and blackberry crumble, cost pence. We picked ours in Asfordby in leicestershire and got a carrier bag full so have froze some and given some to family. The best thing though was my 2 kids loved picking them.
  • QueenB.
    QueenB. Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We all went blackberry picking today, the children loved it and we came home with loads. Also found a plum tree, they are only small but should be fine in a crumble, plus found some apples so a very productive day.

Already used some blackberries in an upside down pudding and will be making a crumble tomorrow plus some blackberry muffins which i will freeze for when the kids go back to school.

Would love to have a go at jam but have no idea about how to go about it and where to get the jars and perserving pan.:confused:
    Success means having to worry about every thing in the world......EXCEPT MONEY. Johnny Cash

Cross stitch Cafe member 81.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport