PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

blackberry picking

Options

Comments

• twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    cant say i have heard that blackberry jelly doesnt keep, maybe someone else will know better, as long as the jars have been sterilized it should be okay
  • leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    Well mine is very hard set!

I bet I didnt need the lemon. Its like a thick jam.

Right im off on a blackberrying session next week!
  • twink
    Options
    if its too hard set you could maybe put in a drop more water next time, did you boil the berries in water, liquidise then sieve, that sounds good, must try that myself, think thats what you would call a blackberry cheese, must look it up
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have you all to blame for this...
    on the way to decorating my last wedding of the day, down a country lane, I spotted a lady with a bicycle picking from the hedgerow. I decorated as fast as I could then zoomed to the spot. Thankfully I had a carrier bag in my car and pretty much filled it. Right now I'm thinking of all the lovely uses for the blackberry coulis I have in the fridge... I think first it may get drizzled over ice cream warm... mmmmm
    If I can't get my bum through the door next week I'm gonna be calling on all of you to give me a shove through :p
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    twink wrote:
    that sounds good you could maybe add a drop more water, you cooked the berries in water, liquidised, then sieved them? must try that

I will add more water next time for sure. I hardly added any as I was worried it would be too runny.

Yes I gently simmered the berries with a little water, then liquidised it and that made the mix run through the sieve far easier. I then returned it to the pan and added the sugar and lemon.
  • rubytuesday
    rubytuesday Posts: 22,383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm in London and picked blackberries along the canal today also some crab apples and plums. The slows are also ripe here too as are rosehips will be picking some tomorrow.
    Here dead we lie because we did not choose
    To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
    Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
    But young men think it is,
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • barbie_babe
    Options
    MIRRY wrote:
    Leonie, Im not the person to advise on this seeing Ive just made my first batch of blackberry jam an hour ago.

I just read up on it online and took some advice on here.

I boiled up 3 cups of blackberries and 1 1/2 cups of sugar and some lemon, I then boiled it for 12 mins stirring often. whilst this was happening I sterilised the jars in the oven for 30 mins (just hope it was hot enough) I did it on gas mark 2.5. Then I poured it into the jars whilst hot and covered it with a cut out of the plastic bag inside a corn flake box then put lids on.

I keep peeping thru the jar to see if it looks like its setting, I hope it does because Ive been told blackberry have there own natural pectin.
    how much lemon do use ?thanks
    :j
  • twink
    Options
    just found a recipe for blackberry cheese, just the way you did it leonie except it says to pour it into a greased and lined tin, cut in slices when cold, no idea what they ate it with, its quite an old book, it also has a recipe for green grape cheese but it does go into jars, also banana and lemon jam and blackberry curd
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have to drag my two out of bed tomorrow and go on a hunt, they are demanding another years supply of blackberry ketchup.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Options
    What's blackberry ketchup moggins? What do you tend to use it with?
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
    Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure