PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

blackberry picking

Options

Comments

• fuzzgun19
    fuzzgun19 Posts: 7,767 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Anyone have a nice blackberry & apple pie recipe?
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    i used to go quite regularly when i was little up over the downs,may have to start taking my girls
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Apple and blackberry crumble This is the one I make :) and it's lovely... I would just use the same filling in a sweet pie casing really :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • csarinaknight
    Options
    We pick ours at the allotment, we have loads of wild blackberries growing...mind you the thorns are vicious!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apple and blackberry jam, pie and crumble are our favourites, although I have made trifle with them too!!!!!!!!!!
    September grocery budget........trying for £80, not sure if I will make it though!!!!! I certainly did not last month, lost track of the final bill. Will do better this month honest.

Tesco £57.13
    Petrol £10.00
  • Plum_Pie
    Plum_Pie Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    Options
    I went picking last week and have already started my favourite recipe:

Get a 3 litre jar with an air tight lid. Half fill jar with blackberries. Pour in vodka until jar is full. Add 2 vanilla pods and a 6 inch cinnmon stick. Leave til Xmas (preferably in a cool dark place). Sieve through muslin and decant into bottles.

Enjoy:
    in shots
    over ice
    with sparkling/soda water
    With cava/champagne
  • jennybb
    jennybb Posts: 228 Forumite
    Options
    Nice one, Plum, I'm doing a selection of flavoured gins and vodkas for xmas pressies and that sounds interesting. :T
  • Plum_Pie
    Plum_Pie Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry - O/T:

Jenny,

Quince vodka is like NECTAR! Grate whole quinces into jar (skin, core, the lot) add 1 dsp sugar per quince and plenty of the strong stuff. Ready v quickly - 2 months. Definitely 1 for the recipe book, if not for this year.
  • itsalldrivingmemad
    Options
    When is it quince season? My grandfather has a quince bush we use to throw them at each other as a kid - obviously not now I'm all growed up I'd like to do something withthem but don't know when they are rip to doit?

PS I have just done the blackberry vodka thing - can't wait till xmas now!!!!
  • Sallys_Savings
    Options
    Plum_Pie wrote: »
    I went picking last week and have already started my favourite recipe:

Get a 3 litre jar with an air tight lid. Half fill jar with blackberries. Pour in vodka until jar is full. Add 2 vanilla pods and a 6 inch cinnmon stick. Leave til Xmas (preferably in a cool dark place). Sieve through muslin and decant into bottles.

Enjoy:
    in shots
    over ice
    with sparkling/soda water
    With cava/champagne
    mmmmmm now this sounds delicious.
    I've tried lots of other different flavours, but definitely going to give this one a try.
    Thanks
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    When is it quince season? My grandfather has a quince bush we use to throw them at each other as a kid - obviously not now I'm all growed up I'd like to do something withthem but don't know when they are rip to doit?

PS I have just done the blackberry vodka thing - can't wait till xmas now!!!!
    I suspect the quinces Plum Pie uses for her vodka are tree quinces. I have one in my garden and also make vodka -it is indeed nectar.

Bush quinces are a completely different plant, but you can make a jelly with them for spreading on bread ;) I'm not entirely sure when the season is but at a guess I'd say September/October. Tree quinces are ready in October/November.

The blackberries are good with whisky in place of vodka. Don't forget damson gin too -same principle.

I love this time of the year -so many things to squirrel away for the winter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure