PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

blackberry picking

Options

Comments

• recovering_spendaholic
    Options
    I'm a bit thick - what does it mean?
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    They make a lovely pie when mixed with apples.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    It's a Bible reference. Gospel according to John, chapter 3 verse 16.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi tine,

As has been said above there are loads of recipes and ideas on the other thread we have on blackberry picking, so I'll merge your thread with it. As posts are listed in date order you'll need to read from the beginning to see all the replies.

Pink
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi John 3:16,

We have a current thread on this subject, so I'll merge your thread with it as it helps to keep all the replies together. Posts are listed in date order so you'll need to read from the beginning to see all the replies.

Here are some older threads that might interest you too:

Foraging - Natures Food

Free Food

Also check out the Foraging forum on www.downsizer.net

Pink
  • rubytuesday
    rubytuesday Posts: 22,383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Only managed to pick a few blackberries today. Too late down here now did manage to find aload of damsons so will make jam with the few blackberies I have damsons and elderberries.
    Here dead we lie because we did not choose
    To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
    Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
    But young men think it is,
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • furrypig
    furrypig Posts: 2,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh shame we picked loads of blackberries on the way home from school last September and was just saying to the kids we would have a look tomorrow after school.

Maybe we will be lucky!
  • HugoRune_2
    HugoRune_2 Posts: 2,862 Forumite
    Options
    loads of blackberries in my area, 2 of us in an hour or so got an amount that would probably cost 20 quid at a supermarket, does rather kill your back though!
    I've got jam and fruit tart coming out of my ears at the mo (perhaps I shouldnt have stuffed them there in the 1st place)
    Aha, so thats how you do a signature!
  • Boatie_Bird
    Options
    tine wrote:
    We have sloes nearby too so sloe gin willbe in the making after the first frost ;)

Is it best to wait for the first frost before picking sloes? I got stuck in and started off loads of sloe gin last night. I realised they were early this year, but they have the white 'bloom' on them and they seemed ripe and soft when I was attacking them with a needle. Hope I haven't started too early!
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    You are supposed to wait till the frost has been on them - not sure why. but you can simulate a natural autumn frost by bunging them in the freezer overnight. Now I come to think about it I think the frost is supposed to break the skins which thus enables the juices to flow into the gin- mmmm... so !!!!!ing them with a needle will do the same :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure