🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Couch to 5k Running - Part Two

Options

Comments

• treeny_bash
    treeny_bash Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone.

Glad to report W1D2 done. We got to the gym at 3:35 and were told they were closing at 4. So I did my bike warm up and then I went out for a run roundd the streets. I was looking for the local park but I got slightly lost, and then when I found the park it was much smaller than I remembered and there were a few loitering teenagers, so I didn't stick around long. I am really pleased with how it went as I definately ran faster than I normally do. It was hard work though. Think I will definately make sure that I do at least one outside run every week from now on, it's good to get used to reglating your own pace.

Paddypaws, I'm using the podcasts on runningintoshape.com, you download them and play them on an mp3 player or ipod and it tells you when to walk and when to run, and the intervals build up week by week. There's other podcasts available, or you can keep track yourself by looking at the workouts on coolrunnings.com. Definately give it a shot, you'll feel so good if you make it to the end.
  • artybear
    artybear Posts: 978 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks guys!

Is it sad that Im really excited about starting this?
    I go to the gym two or three times a week but whenever I run on the treadmill I can only do it for a few mins at a time and always feel that this is the only time Im working out properly.

Also I'm looking forward to have a reason to be out in the fresh air.

Any tips for the first week?

xxxx
    In art as in love, instinct is enough
    Anatole France

Things are beautiful if you love them
    Jean Anouilh
  • teachergirl
    teachergirl Posts: 773 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    artybear.
    1) Stretch before you go out.
    2)Don't run too fast , slow is fine.
    3) And finally do not under any circumstances treat yourself to a Ben and Jerrys, or a chinese or anything similar for doing the run;)
    Enough money to live on so retired early...planning to see where life takes me:D
  • bertiebots
    bertiebots Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Options
    artybear wrote: »
    Hello everyone:wave:

I have been lurking for a few days and now have decided to join! :D

Im at family for Easter but from Wednesday I will start this. Just wondering about a few practical questions. Do you all hold your ipod? Where do you put keys etc..? And do you need water?

Hope you dont mind me jumping in:o:)

....and to paddypaws101;)

I dont have an ipod or mp3 player. I just borrowed my ds's digital watch and use the stop -watch on it......and take my phone which has a radio so I still have some music to listen to and this goes in a zipped pocket . And this means I am not carrying 2 things because I wouldnt want to run the route I take without a phone!.
    I put my key on a clip inside my top so I dont loose it jigging along;)

I dont think its sad to be exited:D...just dont do what I did and set off on your first day without stretching because you cant contain yourself:rotfl::o. It really does help:T
    I love this thread too and everyone is very friendly:j
    JAN GC- £155.77 out of £200:D FEB GC £197.31 out of £180:o. MARCH GC - out of £200
  • artybear
    artybear Posts: 978 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks guys:D

So I will stretch and just take a single key and run very slooowlllyy...Oh and not treat myself by eating rubbish after:rotfl:

I wish it was wednesday already-although I know I will be regretting it halfway through the run.

Thanks for helping guys:T
    In art as in love, instinct is enough
    Anatole France

Things are beautiful if you love them
    Jean Anouilh
  • Drea
    Drea Posts: 9,892 Forumite
    Options
    artybear.
    1) Stretch before you go out.
    2)Don't run too fast , slow is fine.
    3) And finally do not under any circumstances treat yourself to a Ben and Jerrys, or a chinese or anything similar for doing the run;)

:rotfl:

4) Certainly don't have the chinese before running then use it as an excuse not to run ;)
    Just because you made a mistake doesn't mean you are a mistake.
  • teachergirl
    Options
    :rotfl:You did tell us to tell you off. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Either you will never do it again or you just wont admit it next time;)
    Enough money to live on so retired early...planning to see where life takes me:D
  • Drea
    Drea Posts: 9,892 Forumite
    Options
    :rotfl:You did tell us to tell you off. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Either you will never do it again or you just wont admit it next time;)

:rotfl: Had a few giggles on here today.

The one thing I find odd... you ate a BOWL of Ben & Jerry's? Surely you eat from the tub? ;)
    Just because you made a mistake doesn't mean you are a mistake.
  • CompletelyLost
    CompletelyLost Posts: 2,862 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    G'd evening,

Newbie here... although I'm not following this plan, I might start (I always read the title... never actually clicked to find out what it was all about until tonight!)

I've just gone out for my first jog (ever... in my life!) & I'm so embarrassed. I went with a friend who usually run 4-miles a night.

I honestly felt like I was having a heart attack, and that was just small bursts of jogging and then some walking. I think I managed to do about 1-mile, but I'd say I only jogged for 100metres at a time before I felt like I was going to peg out.

Did anyone else feel like this when they first started? :o I mean, is this normal?
  • teachergirl
    Options
    No I take it out of the tub and put it in the bowl....seriously I don't know why... maybe because I can fish out all the best bits first;) I'm never going to get a bikini body at this rate:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport