PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

does anyone use an apron when cleaning and cooking

Options

Comments

• mandyc
    mandyc Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suppose aprons aren't worn as much nowadays because it is eaasier to wash and dry clothes than it was 30 years ago.

My mother would always where an apron (not one with a bib, just tied around the waist) when cooking and cleaning but would not go out of the house with it one. One day she came to pick me up from school and I was mortified to see she still had her apron on - not the done thing at all!!!

I, also, only where an apron when we are having visitors and I have my "best" clothes on.
  • Miss-spent_2
    Options
    COOLTRIKERCHICK says her nan kept old knickers in her apron pocket, well my mum still keeps them in her car to wipe down a steamy window!!. She never throws out underwear, sheets, towels or any thing that can be used as dusters. She cuts the legs off laddered tights and uses whats left to hold her hairback when putting make up on. Still, to be fair, she has never been in debt.

I do wear aprons occasionally but not PVC, the water runs down on to my feet and rubber gloves make my hands smell.
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a couple of waterproof aprons but I rarely use them. When I get home I always change into house clothes, old ones that are no longer fit to be seen in public. :o

Unless I have guests while I'm cooking, in which case it's nice clothes and an apron...:)
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • in_my_wellies
    in_my_wellies Posts: 1,647 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If I get up early I do the housework in my nighty - seem to get done quicker as I rush round upstairs, then some downstairs too. Then into the shower before I get dressed.

I always forget the rubber gloves until it's too late - except for the changing the cat litter - always remember then.

Do people have different aprons and rubber gloves for different job I wonder? I have pink for kitchen (best condition as I forget to use them), blue for the loo and yellow for the litter trays.
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • Mrs_Excellent_Example
    Options
    Of course we still wear 'em dearie, you wouldn't half make a mess of your clothes if you didn't, what with all the scrubbing and such like. Mind you, these modern "cleansers" are a load of rubbish really, they don't get anything half as bright and shiny as me Vim. :D

vim.jpg

That Lillibet's mum's got the right idea, she still had hers on when she came to our whist drive last week (between you, me and the gatepost I'm sure she does it deliberately - those nice big pockets hold plenty and she didn't half win some hands :think: ).

Happy scrubbing! :wave:
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

That Lillibet's mum's got the right idea, she still had hers on when she came to our whist drive last week (between you, me and the gatepost I'm sure she does it deliberately - those nice big pockets hold plenty and she didn't half win some hands :think: ).

Happy scrubbing! :wave:
    I didn't know my mum could play whist:confused: I assum you mean someone other than my mum!:rotfl:

Emr, I'll ask when I see her tomorrow.
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • julesgr
    julesgr Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    I generally wear one in the kitchen but not for cleaning as i'm usually in my old pj's that will just get thrown in the wash. also when cookingI'm found with a tea towel over my shoulder or tucked over the apron band so i can have somewher to wipe hands or something to use in a hurry to hold hot things (habit from catering college that one)
    Weight loss since 01/08/07 - 72 lbs:j
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I only have one apron, but desperately need more. I'm a very messy cook, and have had countless mishaps with stick blenders (beetroot soup:eek: ).

I like ones that have a bib as that's the bit that gets messiest. Really I could do with a housecoat like my Gran used to wear, or a tabard like Lilibet's mum.

I hate rubber gloves though which is why my hands are in such a state.

Btw CTC, my knickers cover a very large area when used for dusting:o :D

This is a good site for sewing patterns, type in aprons and it comes up with all sorts.

http://www.sewingpatterns.com/simplicity-patterns.html
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    I don't wear aprons or rubber gloves, but I do wear thin latex gloves for gardening. Avoids cat poo on the hands and means I don't have to dig around to get stuff out from under my nails.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Katyag
    Katyag Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    My mum has always had an apron for as long as i can remember and im only 27! She had an Oxo one which she got for free by sending away tokens from boxes but she bought a new one for going away our holidays this year.

As soon as shes in the kitchen to cook the apron is on! My DS loves his apron now too after seeing Nana in hers all the time! lol
    Bringing up 2 handsome boys and 1 gorgeous girl the MSE way!
    Joseph born 19th December 2001
    Matthew born 8th August 2007
    Tara born 23rd January 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills