PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

does anyone use an apron when cleaning and cooking

Comments

• nabowla
    nabowla Posts: 567 Forumite
    I have a lovely white cotton apron that I wear when I remember :o I bought it in a tiny boutique in France a couple of years ago and the top is hand embroidered with a couple of pretty vegetables in the centre. It sounds remarkably impractical for cooking but it's great - I just chuck it in the washing machine at 90 degrees and it comes out beautifully clean.
  • Icemaiden
    Icemaiden Posts: 641 Forumite
    First Post
    I have 2 aprons, 1 for cooking the other for cleaning. I also wear rubber gloves, the ones with the cotton lining otherwise my hands get all itchy & sweaty.
    Rebel No 22
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm blaming you all for having cost me 3 quid in laura ashley today in the sale.
    they had this beautiful pvc fabric with pink roses and blue polka dots, and the minute I saw it I thought "ooh, that would make a beautiful apron!", and had I not been reading this thread previously it would never have occured to me. On the plus side, if I get a little cheap blue fabric, from this one piece and that I can make 2 aprons and a couple of toiletry bags and I will sell the spares on a craft fayre for far more than I paid ;)
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    sounds lovely softstuff...could also make lovely xmas pressies....start a trend.. give aprons for pressies....
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    sounds lovely softstuff...could also make lovely xmas pressies....start a trend.. give aprons for pressies....
    That had occured to me too, aprons as part of little wicker hampers with home made jams and such... very kitsch and trendy aside from being OS :D
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • luckycat99
    luckycat99 Posts: 318 Forumite
    I bought my first apron yesterday in the matalan sale for the princely sum of £1.50. Its stripey, with a big pocket and i can't wait to wear it when I cook later (am I very sad?). I was fed up of getting burnt, splashed, messy etc when cooking and cleaning.

Actually I think I lied - the first apron i had was when I was about 3/4/5 years old and I felt the business in it then too! lol

p.s. I'm 27 - so quite young compared to stereotype pinnie wearers.
    14 projects in 2014: 3/14
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    luckycat99... i think you should worry about being sterotype when you have your hair in curlers with a scarf over them...a fag hanging from the corner of your mouth....and you are talking to your neighbour over the fence... that looks exactly like you ...( pinnie ..scarf...fag...) ....

i think i have been watching too many black and white films..:rotfl:
    Work to live= not live to work
  • luckycat99
    luckycat99 Posts: 318 Forumite
    lol...very good - images of Nora Batty and her ilk come to mind - I'm a long way from that stereotype - thank the lord! (no offence to anyone who IS actually like that of course):rotfl:
    14 projects in 2014: 3/14
  • I've got an apron too!!! And I'm far from "old" at 21!! I love mine! It's pink with white polka dots :D I am an extremely messy cook!!!
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
  • Louisa_2
    Louisa_2 Posts: 123 Forumite
    I love the ones that tie round the waist, they're so handy for wiping your hands on when you're in the kitchen. I have a collection of retro styled ones that I have picked up in charity shops and they always cheer me up when I take one out of the drawer. My friends think it's a bit of fun when they come round too cos we normally end up in the kitchen if they're over for dinner and they get to wear one as well!

They make me feel like a proper 50's housewife (even though I work full time so don't get the chance to do as much OS'ing as I'd like)

EDIT: I'm also 30 so am I in the realms of older pinny wearers yet or not? Don't know but always make sure I take my rollers out before opening the front door :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure