PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

does anyone use an apron when cleaning and cooking

Comments

• joannasmum
    joannasmum Posts: 1,145
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I wear an apron for baking or if I'm doing a batch cook. Its the one I made at school to be worn in cookery, its red gingham the material was choosen by my mum as gingham is easy to sew as you can follow the lines ;) . When I'm cleaning I tend to wear my oldest clothes. My nan always wore a "Housecoat" which was a nylon overall.
    Sorting my life out one day at a time
  • Boswell_2
    Boswell_2 Posts: 48 Forumite
    I always wear an apron - the kind that ties around the waist. I feel odd trying to do any cooking without wearing it. It always seems to get in a mess so heaven knows what my clothes would be like if I didn't wear one.

I have a specialy snow-scene one for Christmas too!
    £2 coin savers club £42 (joined 2 May 2006)
    Pre Challenge Grocery Spending av £454.17:eek:
    May Grocery Challenge £345 Total spent £342.19 :j :j :j June Grocery Challenge £300 Total spent £451.81:mad:
    July Grocery Challenge £300 Total spent
  • flourgirl
    flourgirl Posts: 3,415 Forumite
    I have 2 striped butchers style aprons which I wear all the time I'm cooking as I'm such a messy cook. I also like to wear them when cleaning the bathrooms and the kitchen sink. In the past I've ruined clothes with things like tomato juice or oil, or cleaning stuff.

Does anyone wear rubber gloves when washing up or cleaning?

I always have them handy but forget to put them on until my hands get sore, then it's too late!!
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    I wear an apron (stripy, butcher style) when cooking, and yellow rubber gloves for cleaning. Can't see why anyone wouldn't myself.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • kiwichick
    kiwichick Posts: 1,857
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I always wear an apron and so do the kids. My mum made them for us, they are the ones that go over your head and tie at the waist, they have 2 pockets which is great when I take off my wedding/engagement rings for baking/cleaning. The kids ones are fully adjustable and will last for years. In NZ I didnt know any mum/houseperson who didnt wear one.

PS-The kids LOVE to wear theirs when we cook.
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 580 Forumite
    flourgirl wrote:
    I
    Does anyone wear rubber gloves when washing up or cleaning?

I always have them handy but forget to put them on until my hands get sore, then it's too late!!
    I always wear rubber gloves for wet jobs. They're horrid this weather 'cos your hands get all sweaty inside them but I'd never not wear them. My mum never wore them & the ends of her fingers got all cracked & were really really sore, especially in the winter. Also you can use hotter water if you wear gloves so I always think that gets things cleaner.
  • Mrs_A.
    Mrs_A. Posts: 443
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    nope i dont wear and apron but i def need too has anyone got a sewing pattern for one please
    regards
    mrs a
    total debt jan 06= £15441.97 dfw nerd no 112 proud to be dealing with my debts.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Mrs_A. wrote:
    nope i dont wear and apron but i def need too has anyone got a sewing pattern for one please
    regards
    mrs a

Hi Mrs A.,

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but there's a pattern for a simple apron here.

Personally I hate aprons as they make me feel hot and bothered. I have disposable ones that I use for work, and if I'm doing something really mucky, I try to remember to use one....but more often than not I forget. :o

Pink
  • linzibean
    linzibean Posts: 437 Forumite
    I feel very old.... but yes, I always wear one my grandmother gave me :p
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I must say it's a big relief to know that so many other OSers wear aprons!

I wear rubber gloves when washing up but don't bother the rest of the time. However, I know a lady in her sixties who has beautiful hands - they look like a much younger person's - and she says it's because she always wears either rubber or cotton gloves when doing any housework. (Except cooking).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure