PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Menu Planning Tips (merged)

Options

Comments

• funkymonkey
    funkymonkey Posts: 524 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer
    Options
    just bumping it up as this is an excellent thread for us students! its like having a thousand grandma's telling me how to cook! (no offence lol) just to give you a cheap student meal -

pasta
    onion
    tin of tomatoes
    one of those large horse shoe shaped sausages in the chilled section of supermarket.

chop up sausage and add to saucepan with chopped onions. add tin of tomatoes and pasta.

and thats it. takes about 15 minutes.

total cost of meal is around 1.75 and it went down a treat with my three housemates.
    #113 12K in 2020 Challenge #113 £17,103/£12,000 £15000
  • sheng719
    Options
    I didn't know that this tread exists...(just shows how often and how extensive I go in this website...) Anyway, its nice to know that there are loads of suggestions with egards to menu planning with money saving...I am one of those housewives that sometimes run out of easy, fast and in the budget meal plans in the middle of the week.So, I guess this would be one of my favorites now...
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2012 #1502:)

Debt free by 2014, hopefully earlier...:T
  • ladyofthehouse_2
    Options
    Hi,

Only joined 2 days ago....not sure if I'm doing this right ! Can you email me your 4 week rota ?

many thanks
    Penny-Wise wrote:
    I do a ‘big’ shop once a month (about £100) and top up shops each week for milk, bread, eggs, veg, etc (£10) in total this works out at about £35 a week.

I have my meals on a 4-weeks rota, so eat and buy the same things once a month, I do change the meals for the seasons so less stews and more salads in summer, etc.

My busiest days are Tuesday and Wednesday as I work full time and have to come in, make tea, get ready to go out again in about an hour so Wednesday is left-over day where I cook any meals that I have stashed in the freezer and Tuesday is ‘tomato pasta’ day as I can have this ready in less than 15 minutes:

Tomato Pasta (this is my mum’s recipe)

Serves 2

1 tin tomatoes
    glug olive oil
    basil
    pasta

Put tomatoes and olive oil in a microwave proof bowl with a lid (I use a glass casserole dish as plastic bowls can get discoloured from the tomato & oil) and cook on full power for 10 minutes.

Boil the pasta

When the 10mins is up turn the pasta off and drain. Blend the tomatoes with a hand blender and add the basil and the pasta and then serve.

You can put cheese on top if you want to

During the 10 minutes the pasta & tomatoes are cooking you could cook some veg in a little olive oil – mushrooms, courgette, peppers, aubergine, etc and then mix them in before you serve it.

If you want to know my full 4 week menu list I will post it.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I found a good menu plan in an old cookbook I picked up in Oxfam called How to Survive in the Kitchen,by Katharine Whitehorn.

Here it is-some of it may sound a bit expensive,but I reckon it can be adapted by clever old stylers.

Sun- Swank - ie a piece of meat like a roast or steak

Mon- Joe's Caff - ie sausages and chips,egg and chips,beans on toast etc

Tue-Leftover day

Wed-Something cold -with soup in winter,eg corned beef and coleslaw,ham salad that sort of thing.

Thur-Gunge - ie something mixed up in a pot like macaroni cheese or a vegetable curry or an egg dish

Fri-Something different - here she suggests a takeaway,but failing that something exotic like HM pizza,chinese food,curry

Sat-Family favourite - good old cottage pie,spag bol, chicken casserole or whatever your family likes.

The book was published in 1979 so it's a bit old-fashioned,but I thought it was quite a good framework for meal-planning :)
  • julybride
    julybride Posts: 205 Forumite
    Options
    Someone earlier mentioned that meal plans can become a bit routine i.e. get to know that you've got sausages every tuesday. So a little tip my mum gave me when i told her about all the meal planning i was doing.

If you are on a short routine (7/14 days) increase your plan by 1 day! that way you stop getting the same food on the same day! Little tip but may help someone
    julybride

DFD 18th Dec2007 :D We did it!!!
  • EMPTY_PURSE_5
    Options
    Can someone offer a recipe for curry, for leftover Sunday Roasts, chicken, lamb, Beef ect. Something cheap and cheerful.

Mum used to make the best curry but unfortunately I did not pay attention in the kitchen and she no longer with us. we couldn't wait for a sunday roast just to get the curry on a monday.
    No Signature Required ......
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya :)

If you look in the Cooking section of the MEGA Index sticky you'll find all sorts of ideas in threads listed under "leftovers".

HTH :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • jenk_3
    jenk_3 Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    This is a fantastic thread please keep the ideas coming :) Im hopeless in the kitchen but with all this help Im sure I will soon be a domestic godess LOL
    :j Trying To Hitch A Lift To Skinnyville :j

Declutter Challenge - 2019 in 2019. 0/2019
  • xlt_hunter
    Options
    Can someone offer a recipe for curry, for leftover Sunday Roasts, chicken, lamb, Beef ect. Something cheap and cheerful.

Mum used to make the best curry but unfortunately I did not pay attention in the kitchen and she no longer with us. we couldn't wait for a sunday roast just to get the curry on a monday.

Here you go :) - mine one ;)

Chop and fry an onion with bit of oil/butter in pan for 3-4 min
    Add meat from leftovers - continue to fry for 2 min (as meat is already cooked.)
    Add spices/curry powder - add to suit (trial and error)
    Add 1 tin of Chopped toms
    Add some warm water to give it a bit more liquid - bring to the boil and simmer for 30 min on low heat.
    To thicken the curry up at the end add cornflour or normal plain flour (not too much) - cook for few more min than enjoy with chips or rice
  • Lara
    Lara Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What a superb thread! Given it to my son to pass on to his friends, all students, as they seem to eat the same things. This should give them some ideas. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport