PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Menu Planning Tips (merged)

Options

Comments

• Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    :confused: is it just me or is that link for the russian site?

can anyone recommend a good language school please;)

It's just you :p

Only joking, it looked Russian to me too and I got a little worried so just closed it asap :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• greenlogo
    greenlogo Posts: 231 Forumite
    Options
    it is actually hosted on a Russian site yes... the complete link is: http://netnotebook.net/index_ntb.htm

Ah well. That'll teach me to make sure I grab the WHOLE link when I copy and paste... :o sorry....
    Pre O/S: what's a vitamin? Does it begin with the letter e?Now: I'm not eating any of that pre-made rubbish...
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    i have a list of everything in my cupboards, which i print off, and write on what amounts i have left of everything - that way i know when shopping, what im totally out of, and how much other stuff i have left, so i can take advantage of offers

i also have a freezer list, as i have a large chest freezer which i used to loose things in - and now i know exactly how many sausages, loaves of bread, pizza etc. i have and can plan meals around it, without having to go and rummage

then when im feeling really saintly, i do a months meal plans, based on what i have in the cupboards, so i dont even need to shop that month
  • foreverskint
    foreverskint Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    greenlogo wrote:
    it is actually hosted on a Russian site yes... the complete link is: http://netnotebook.net/index_ntb.htm

Ah well. That'll teach me to make sure I grab the WHOLE link when I copy and paste... :o sorry....
    Thanks for the link, thought last night that the wine I was drinking was too strong!!:beer:
  • Liz19
    Liz19 Posts: 673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    flea72 wrote:
    i have a list of everything in my cupboards, which i print off, and write on what amounts i have left of everything - that way i know when shopping, what im totally out of, and how much other stuff i have left, so i can take advantage of offers

i also have a freezer list, as i have a large chest freezer which i used to loose things in - and now i know exactly how many sausages, loaves of bread, pizza etc. i have and can plan meals around it, without having to go and rummage

then when im feeling really saintly, i do a months meal plans, based on what i have in the cupboards, so i dont even need to shop that month

You are so organised - you really put me to shame!
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Liz19 wrote:
    You are so organised - you really put me to shame!

Don't worry, you ain't alone :)

If only I could get myself organised with proper meal plans I'm sure I'd save a lot more money than I am doing, but I still buy things on impluse and then work the meals around what I have in, which means juggling best before dates and trying to use up food before it goes off :o

I have a rough idea of what's in my freezer (although I do forget at times) and my store cupboard is pretty much full with everything I need for various different types of cooking. The trouble is I'm spoilt for choice then and can't decide what to make, rather than just follow a set plan, and you can guarantee that whatever I need is still in the freezer, so I give up and send out for take-away LOL! :rolleyes:

Forgot to add ... one of my biggest downfalls is watching too many cookery programmes and seeing something I fancy making so stick any ingredients I need on the shopping list, but by the time I come round to using them I've forgotten what it was I wanted to make :rotfl:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    BUMPED to give some pointers to all the people doing the May challenge.

What's everyone got planned for this week?
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I do my menu Friday to Thursday and I do my shopping on Fridays but for the rest of this week.

Mon - Homemade Pizza and chips

Tue - Chicken Curry, rice

Wed - Chicken and Mushroom pasta

Thur - Frittata (using last of chicken), jacket wedges, salad
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    Options
    Well, this weekend I made my first plan and shopped accordingly...

Mon - Jacket potato, cheese and mushroom omlette, tomatoes and homegrown salad leaves

Tues - Having tea with my Mum and Gran, so no thinking involved!

Wed - Jacket potato, peppery tomatoey lentils (frozen from last week) and Quorn fillets

Thurs - Quorn Ribsters with mash (including cabbage and onion) and gravy

Fri - Quorn burgers as cheeseburgers (in bought wholemeal rolls, frozen from last time we had them), fried mushrooms and onions on top - not healthy, but quick when we're off to a private view.

Saturday - Spag Bol, made with savoury TVP. Will freeze some for another week.

Sunday - Maccaroni cheese (I use wholewheat maccaroni, flour and breadcrumbs from homemade bread, which uses up all those old frozen crusts I end up with!). I serve this with crispy bacon - real for my boyfriend (from the freezer, bought when BOGOF), fake bacon for me (soon to try making my own from tofu!)

Wouldn't usually have jackets so close together, but had to swap meals due to boyfriend eating with me on Thursday when we're off to see a film.

I was surprised at how little I had to buy at the weekend for all this (I had a lot of it, the TVP, rice, pasta, flour etc). And it means we don't have to go shopping for food this weekend!! Hurrah!! Although it does mean I'll be doing a week's shop on my own next Monday after work...

Enjoyed reading this thread!

Anna
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    I have merged the 'Cooking from scratch, planning menu?' thread with the 'Meal Planning and saving money - how do you do it!!!' thread into this 'Menu planning tips (merged)' thread. They are both jam packed full of menu planning hints, tips and suggestions. :)
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport