PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Menu Planning Tips (merged)

Options

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    I plan for a week at a time - seven meals and seven 'afters'. Some things are on there every week, others get there because something needs using up, is ready to be picked from the garden or whatever. I make sure I have everything I need for those meals and go from there. I always have potato waffles, pizzas and a couple of pies in the freezer for days when I don't want to/haven't got time to cook.

I plan meals along lines of protein (mostly eggs or cheese because we're vegetarian but also beans or vege sausages/stodge (potatoes, pastry, rice or pasta) and vitamins (salad or veg). I aim for salad and green veg twice a week but always have peas, sprouts and sweetcorn in the freezer.

I have let things slide (too many 'can't be bothered to cook days'!) but am trying to do better. The Healthy Eating thread has inspired me to get organised and so for the last couple of weekends, I've made a lasagne and a couple of pastry cases for on Sunday and put them in the fridge so I have a head start on my busier days.
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Galtizz wrote:
    You mean like last night, when I'd made the insides for the lasagne and got the box of lasagne sheets out only to find I only had 1 sheet left in the box :mad:

So don't forget to check *in* the boxes too :o:D

IHTH

Partly, although I actually meant if you have the same meals for breakfast & lunch, but it's a good point Galtizz. Did your Lasagne become spaghetti bolognaise or something? I have had lasagne made with layers of noodles in the States, never did work out if this was a mistake or an American quirk!

Forgot to say KJA, don't forget to build leftovers into your menu plan, either for the following nights or for the freezer.

I actually keep a inventory of whats in my freezer & menu plan mostly from that with a feresh meals & regulars, like jacket spuds every Tuesday, thrown in. That way I am free to pick up whatever bargins I find in the supermarket & take advantage of best prices, but to start with it might be easier to plan exactly what you want ot eat & build your shopping list around that, gradully incorporating existing stocks to use stuff up & keep stock ticking over.

Read back through this thread if you need inspiration fo meals, that can be the hardest part when getting started!
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Galtizz wrote:
    You mean like last night, when I'd made the insides for the lasagne and got the box of lasagne sheets out only to find I only had 1 sheet left in the box :mad:

This is where I find my mum's old method of always having 3 of everything that's used regularly in the cupboards useful, so when one runs out it goes on the shopping list and the next one is used, but there's always a spare for emergencies bounce.gif
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Funnily enough I was thinking today of posting a suggestion for shopping lists - very simple and probably doesn't even need saying, but if you jot down things as you think of them (i.e. when making lasagne the last time round) rather than trying to write it all down ten minutes before hitting the supermarket, then this should avoid such incidents! ;)

I am going to do this, starting now - so I don't have to push my trolley all round Sainsbury's saying washing up liquid washing up liquid to myself and getting funny looks! :o

I was trying to work out whether I could use my mobile phone to store the "need to replace" lists, but will probably settle for a post-it note stuck on the computer monitor! :D
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a couple of pieces of thin white-board stuff stuck to the back of my kitchen door with a dry-wipe marker nearby. Then, whenever I think of something, I can write it down. No wasting paper that way either;)

Also useful for writing phone numbers/little messages on there too - currently I have a 6 month+ message from DS1 "I love you mummy, from XX" Aww, bless:))
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As I do all my shopping online I keep a notepad file open and everytime I come across something I need I'll write ... oooops type ... it in so I have a ready list available. I just have to remember to click save after I've added anything to it tho, otherwise if the PC shuts down for any reason (like the other night when we had a powercut) you lose the list banghead.gif
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I keep a post it note stuck on the proposed next grocery shopping day in my diary & add to it as I need to.
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    I have a whiteboard for messages, shopping list etc. I try to encourage the family to write on it if they notice something's running out but they only write things like 'chocolate biscuits'. I then make a shopping list before I go ... and leave it on the table.
  • greenlogo
    greenlogo Posts: 231 Forumite
    Options
    Curry_Queen - you might find http://netnotebook.net/ useful - it's an online notepad.

I use it so I can transfer between home and work :D but it's handy for powerouts and things too.
    Pre O/S: what's a vitamin? Does it begin with the letter e?Now: I'm not eating any of that pre-made rubbish...
  • foreverskint
    foreverskint Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    greenlogo wrote:
    Curry_Queen - you might find http://netnotebook.net/ useful - it's an online notepad.

I use it so I can transfer between home and work :D but it's handy for powerouts and things too.
    :confused: is it just me or is that link for the russian site?

can anyone recommend a good language school please;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure