PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Menu Planning Tips (merged)

Options

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Take a look on the student's board - there are lots of helpful things there.

Student Money Saving
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • lex
    lex Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    I have to agree, although menu planning is a hassle it does save loads of money and even more stress over the "what's for dinner" thing every night.

I have a menu that rotates on a four week period, but I also have a list of extras, so that if I don't fancy something, I make a substitution when I do that weeks plan.

Once I have made my plan I make my shopping list from that, and check the cupboards as I go. I waste far less food menu planning.

Well here is a list of my food for the last month, just incase it helps anyone. I don't like to buy any premade sauces etc, and cook for 2 adults and DD who is 3. I'm trying to make sure we have fish twice a week, but it is hard when DP doesn't eat tuna :confused:

Week 1 Day 1 turkey soup
    Week 1 Day 2 bacon and tomato risotto
    Week 1 Day 3 tuna pasta
    Week 1 Day 4 sticky lemon chicken
    Week 1 Day 5 home made pizza
    Week 1 Day 6 Fish pie
    Week 1 Day 7 chicken curry

Week 2 Day 1 pork chops in sage and onion stuffing / couscous
    Week 2 Day 2 lemon pepper stirfry
    Week 2 Day 3 Smoked haddock potato pie
    Week 2 Day 4 sausage and mash
    Week 2 Day 5 chicken baked with tomato and mozarella
    Week 2 Day 6 Salmon fishcakes
    Week 2 Day 7 chicken pie or sage and chicken en croute

Week 3 Day 1 corn hotcakes with tomato salsa
    Week 3 Day 2 spaghetti bolognase
    Week 3 Day 3 chicken/Turkey casserole
    Week 3 Day 4 swordfish or whatever fish is on offer!
    Week 3 Day 5 turkey and spinach filo pie
    Week 3 Day 6 salmon
    Week 3 Day 7 Beef and onion pie

Week 4 Day 1 pork chops with honey and mustard
    Week 4 Day 2 sausage rice bake
    Week 4 Day 3 smoked haddock kedgeree
    Week 4 Day 4 chicken casserole
    Week 4 Day 5 cod with beans pancetta and pine nuts
    Week 4 Day 6 turkey meatballs in pepper sauce
    Week 4 Day 7 tomato and basil tart

Hope this helps someone

lex
    Competition wins -
    May 09 - Horrid Henry book box set, 8GB ipod touch, Jan 10 - Creme Egg keyring, 4 Ripley's Believe it or not museum tickets! Feb 10 - Annabel Karmel snacks, Disney laptop, tumble tots back pack, tumble tots DVD, basket of fruit,
    Mar 10 - Farm Frenzy 3 PC game, GHD styler carry case, May 10 - 44 inch chest DVD
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    Lex-I love the sound of some of your meals. Do you have recipes for:

Sticky lemon chicken
    Chops in stuffing
    sage and chicken en croute
    baked chicken with tom and mozarella
    meatballs

????

Sorry but they sound delish.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • carrie78
    carrie78 Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    Pastryless Quiche is good for using leftovers and can be good for vegetarians.

I tried making quiche without the pastry (am on a diet) and it worked a treat.

Put anything you fancy into pyrex type dish/bowl (needs to be tall enough for it to rise). eg. leftover veg/meat, mushrooms, cooked bacon.

Mix 4-6 eggs and a splash of milk.

Pour over filling in the bowl.

Grate cheese on top if you want. You can put sliced tomatoes on top to look nice.

Cook on 200c/400f for about 20 mins.

Keep an eye on it. I need to experiment with the cooking time.

Thanks
    Carrie:)

P.S Thanks for the inspiration. :)
  • lex
    Options
    Ok, you'll probably laugh at how simple these are!

Sticky lemon chicken

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=1522487&postcount=317
    Chops in sage and onion stuffing

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=1522492&postcount=318

There told you they were easy!

lex :j
    Competition wins -
    May 09 - Horrid Henry book box set, 8GB ipod touch, Jan 10 - Creme Egg keyring, 4 Ripley's Believe it or not museum tickets! Feb 10 - Annabel Karmel snacks, Disney laptop, tumble tots back pack, tumble tots DVD, basket of fruit,
    Mar 10 - Farm Frenzy 3 PC game, GHD styler carry case, May 10 - 44 inch chest DVD
  • Just to say - you can make a pastryless version of tarte tatin too, which is supposed to be great if you're on a diet. You place the sliced apples onto savoy cabbage leaves to get the shape, then sprinkle with sugar and dot with butter. Invert and take off the leave before serving. (Unless you're really an oldstyler - in that case use it to make a stirfry or something!!)

DFS
  • lex
    Options
    Chicken, sage and cheddar en croute

(I believe this is an Ainsley Harriott recipe)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=1522495&postcount=319
    Have to say I love this recipe - so easy and so yummy!
    Competition wins -
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Your recipes sound delish Lex, I'm definitely going to try the sticky lemon chicken.Thanks ;)
  • lex
    Options
    No problem thriftlady, just working my way through the list!

Turkey meatballs in red pepper sauce

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=1522500&postcount=320
    Competition wins -
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    anyone fancy fresh fruit salad in a large bowl i put choppedup apples couple of kiwis grapes bulk it up with smartprice broken mandarins two tin plus juicefrom one tin this week got large tin pineapple 37p from asda bunged that in too top up liquid with smartprice lemonade keeps very well in fridge
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport