Orlando & Florida - Questions & Answers (Part 1) *CLOSED*

Options

Comments

• jt25
    jt25 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Hi try.
    https://www.orlandosanfordairport.com click on righthand side ground transportation taxi/limo/shuttle,should be able to get to idrive for $130-$160 return with these companys plus the compulsary 20% tip.
    Titch :)
  • Finishrich
    Finishrich Posts: 1,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    samtheman wrote:
    is it possible to buy a fly drive and get the necessary insurance from another (cheaper!!!!) company? and if so how is it done

sam

To be honest you may well be cheaper booking the car on it's own try Here. We used them last year and saved £150 rather than taking the "Free" car that was included in our package. There prices are inclusive of car and all the taxes, nothing extra to pay except tank of petrol with the option we choose. They use cars from Alamo and Dollar.

Just out of interest what are you being quoted for the insurance from the fly drive company>
  • jstyles
    jstyles Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you staying in a Hotel on I-Drive?

If so - use a free courtesy bus for the transfer!
  • mariauk
    mariauk Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My friend flies to Orlando on Sunday with my Son and I was wondering if it would be legal to give her my Nationwide CC to use for purchases etc, instead of giving her so much cash. I know the chip and pin system has been in place for a while there, Where do we stand legally as I wouldn`t want her to get in trouble if she used it?

Thanks
    Maria
    :drool: :dance: Timberlake Hussy Clique Member No 3 :dance: :drool:
  • peterbaker
    peterbaker Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    Options
    Well, realistically, the risk of being robbed of too much cash is probably worse than being caught impersonating you and using your card, isn't it? You could dream up all sorts of embarassing albeit unlikely(?*) scenarios however where a transaction might be queried for some unexpected reason leading to you and/or your friend having to explain your actions to some authority or the card company.

I actually did "lend a friend a card" like this once but having worried about it for the week I would on reflection avoid having to do it again by making the friend a cardholder on my account so they actually got their own card to use.

Obvious really isn't it? :-)

*(Edit) What about these two "unlikely"(?) events:
    1. Shopkeeper requests further ID e.g. passport
    2. Chip & PIN on Nationwide card isn't compatible so they ask for a signature instead. (I used my Nationwide card in Denmark a couple of times a few days ago where they have had Chip & PIN for years - I was asked to sign instead on both occasions).

PS When I "lent" my card a few years ago (not Nationwide) it was for use in ATMs to secure commission and handling fee free local currency and not for use in the shops.
  • mariauk
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    peterbaker wrote:
    Well, realistically, the risk of being robbed of too much cash is probably worse than being caught impersonating you and using your card, isn't it? You could dream up all sorts of embarassing albeit unlikely scenarios however where a transaction might be queried for some unexpected reason leading to you and/or your friend having to explain your actions to some authority or the card company.

I actually did "lend a friend a card" like this once but having worried about it for the week I would on reflection avoid having to do it again by making the friend a cardholder on my account so they actually got their own card to use.

Obvious really isn't it? :-)
    Thanks Peter, it is obvious but with only a few days to go, I dont think it would be possible and I don`t want her chucked into an Orlando jail !
  • peterbaker
    Options
    Yep you've run out of time - but if you were suggesting that they could simply keep the cash risk down by using it in ATMs only then that's not likely to be discovered (or is it? :-) )

*The Nationwide ATM charge is 0.75%* I think isn't it? (which is pretty good if they haven't increased it*).

If there really is no other option then I know what I'd do:-)

*(Edit) Just found out they've increased it to 1.5%
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If she has a credit card of her own perhaps you could give her the cash to put into her credit card account? It's a question of trust of course, but that seems to be there in abundance already.

Or of course there are good old travellers cheques which you could pay for but be issued in your friend's name/signature. They are v.readily accepted in the States.
  • mariauk
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    SnowyOwl wrote:
    If she has a credit card of her own perhaps you could give her the cash to put into her credit card account? It's a question of trust of course, but that seems to be there in abundance already.

Or of course there are good old travellers cheques which you could pay for but be issued in your friend's name/signature. They are v.readily accepted in the States.
    She doesn`t trust herself with a CC and yes there is trust if there wasn`t she wouldn`t be taking my son :p She wouldn`t spend it on mine unauthorised, I just thought it would be easier and a better exchange rate if she used the card! Oh well down to the post office I go, I already ordered their Disney tickets at least that will save some money. Thanks for your help.

Maria

PS You are right Peter, she could use it at the ATM, but I think I will just change it up, She has her own TC`s and the cash can be used for convienience. Thanks again for your help :)
  • peterbaker
    Options
    Hi again - For info I just checked the Nationwide ATM cash handling charge - it's gone up to 1.5% like most of the competitors although there is still no 2.75% typical FOREX charge.

On cash withdrawals however, interest (at a no doubt high rate) will be immediately incurred up to the date of the first statement at least.

And I am told that if you put the card into deliberately into credit before spending on it, you might avoid cash withdrawal interest but you are risking the entire amount of the credit balance should the card be lost and used fraudulently.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure