New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Turkey Leg recipes

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
121 replies 37.5K views
jwelambertjwelambert Forumite
25 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
Hello all,
I often buy the large cheap turkey legs from asda as they have quite a lot of meat on at a bargain price, I normally just roast it and serve, however can anyone suggest something different to do with it, I have sampled with trying to make marinades for it before but they dont seem to work too well, though thats probably more to do with my cooking ability.

Suggestions greatly appreciated

Thanks

James

Replies

• mgardnermgardner Forumite
    388 posts
    I do mine in the slow cooker with onion, carrots, potatoes etc. Or slow cook and strip off the meat and add to curry sause (tesco value can)
    Sealed pot challenge 543
  • Thanks, sounds nice, just I havent got a slowcooker, i have boiled one in my covered Wok before, but how long should i look to cook for?

Thanks again

j
  • mgardnermgardner Forumite
    388 posts
    Bring it to the boil and then simmer for about an hour. The meat should be falling off the bone then and its easy to fish it out and remove those horrible white tendons. Best of luck.
    Sealed pot challenge 543
  • gwinniegwinnie Forumite
    9.9K posts
    Hi James, it's also nice done Chinese style, eg black bean sauce.
    Context is all.

"Free your mind and the rest will follow."

"Real eyes realise real lies"
  • raebleraeble Forumite
    911 posts
    My mother and grandmother cut it off the bone and cut it up into chunks, they usually cut up an onion, tomato, paprika and a bit of salt and pepper and cook on the stove. I would say that you can use it in the same way you would cook chicken on the stove top. I'm not sure how long it would take. I will ask and get back to you but I think it is under an hour.
  • twinktwink Forumite
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    i sometimes buy a turkey leg to make soup, i put it in a pan with water, a couple of stock cubes, red lentils, carrot, onion and swede turnip and simmer till ready, take out the turkey leg let it cool and strip off the meat, it can then be used with a curry or sweet and sour sauce or whatever you like
    at 97p in asda it makes a cheap couple of meals
  • I cut the meat off the bone and for 2lb meat martinade for 3 hours with

6x cardamom pods
    1tsp black peppercorns All ground in coffee grinder
    4 dried chillies (or to taste) or pestle & mortar
    1 tsp cloves
    4 inch piece cinnamon bark
    1tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp turmeric
    1/2 tsp coriander
    1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
    4 tbsp clear vinegar (eg white wine)
    1 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Then heat some oil and fry 2 x finely sliced onions til browned
    Add:
    3 garlic cloves crushed
    2 inch piece fresh ginger grated
    3 x chopped tomatoes
    2x green chillies chopped
    1 tsp brown sugar
    Stir then add the turkey and marinade liquid and brown
    add
    1 cup water and simmer for 1 1/2 hours until tender.

Serve with plain rice and naan
  • davesgirl_2davesgirl_2 Forumite
    103 posts
    mgardner wrote:
    I do mine in the slow cooker with onion, carrots, potatoes etc. Or slow cook and strip off the meat and add to curry sause (tesco value can)

thats what i do too, they are so great for making cheaper meat taste a lot better:D
    debt in june 06:£6290:rolleyes:
    july 1st 06 : £5247.70
    july 20th 06 £4867:T
    hope to be debt free by : july 2007at the latest:D

dfw grocery challenge 20/07-20/08 £240
    spent so far - £75.57_____£164.43 left
  • mah_jongmah_jong Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    I have one of these and I got it to make soup (going cheap) however there seems to be a meal or two of meat on it and just wondered how you cook yours!
    TIA
    mah

• COOLTRIKERCHICKCOOLTRIKERCHICK Forumite
    10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i had 2 turkey drumsticks...as they were cheap £1.07 i think.... but i thought there would be loads of meat on them.. didnt realise they got a few like a bone type sinue runnig through the meat.... so when i roasted them.... i took as much meat off them as i could and then made a curry... out of them.... but i dont think i would have them again.....
    Work to live= not live to work