We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The 'No More Buying DVDs Until I Have Watched the Ones I Already Own' Thread

Options

Comments

• Giggles86
    Giggles86 Posts: 526 Forumite
    Options
    I'm back and determined to get the pile down this year! I'm currently struggling to sleep but using netflix tonight. I counted my unwatched DVDs earlier and had 67 to watch. I've watched 2 today though: The Croods and The Ugly Truth
    *2014 £365/365days - £52/£365* *20p Savers club #17 £12.00/£50*
    March 2014 NSD 0/15 take lunch to work march 0/21
    sealed Pot Challenge #260
    NMB books: 6/94+ NMB DVDs: 13/67
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away."
  • InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello lovelies!

I'm back from my Christmas visiting. It was right cold! I watched lots of films on TV (lots and lots but didn't note them down, more's the pity).

Looking at my total for the year I think it's fair to say that I have dismally failed in my self-imposed challenge in 2013 by only watching 11/25 DVDs. I think I will halve that goal this year to 25 as if I get near to it I am more likely to go over it than if I feel I'm getting nowhere.

Best of luck for 2014 everyone and happy New Year! :D
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• Giggles86
    Options
    Watched The Kids Are All Right this morning. Not sure what made me buy it in the first place really but I've had it for ages. It's now ready to ship off elsewhere. It was ok. But not one I'm likely to watch again
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away."
  • Giggles86
    Options
    Another 3 watched since Saturday: Wimbledon - now on the pile to pass on, Planes and Tinkerbell. I think I'll always be a child at heart...I love my Disney films too much!
  • Giggles86
    Options
    Watched Becoming Jane last night and currently watching Juno. Becoming Jane was ok but not as enthralling as I'd hoped, and I've seen Juno before. Just felt I should watch it before passing it on!
  • Giggles86
    Options
    2 more watched today as a reward for getting my planning for school done quickly. I've passed Evita on to my mum as I know she loves the stage version. I enjoyed it but would probably prefer it on stage so would be unlikely to watch it again. Also watched The Young Victoria which was good as well. I probably wouldn't watch it again but I'm glad I've seen it once. It's on the pile to send elsewhere once I've had a good sort out. I'm determined to watch things one last time (or for the first time!) before I make the decision to get rid! I did start watching The Heartbreak Kid but my mum asked me something about our family tree and I got distracted for an hour. She only wanted to know if I'd got a newspaper clipping which I found in about 30 seconds.
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    morning all

watched a few over the last week.
    havoc - really distasteful film young rich teens acting all 'gangtsa' get involved with proper street gang and it all goes horribly wrong.

black swan - a lot creepier than i thought it would be.

watched a bit of a chubby brown comedy dvd- think im moe grown up than when i last watched him, fat bloke being a crude letch just didnt make me laugh any more

watched season one of the inbetweeners, first episode made me laugh but it wore thin and was the same jokes being repeated. it was a box set of season 1 & 2, wont bother with 2.

all can be passed on or CS

borrowed the place beyond the pines and watched last night - too long and didnt really hold me. thats being returned.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Giggles86
    Options
    Watched Tangled on Sunday night, another keeper because I'm Disney mad! Currently watching St Trinians so I can send it straight back to lovef1lm tomorrow while preparing for a meeting tomorrow
  • InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Wow, it has been a while. I went from watching barely anything to subscribing to one of the online service's free trials for a month cos I wanted to catch up on a TV show I got a bit addicted to. The subscription just finished, so here is the damage I managed to do in a month:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]X Men: First Class[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring Again[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The Last Exorcism[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Suits(DVD): S1 whole series (4 discs)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Suits(DVD): S2 whole series (4 discs)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Breaking Bad (DVD): S1 whole series (3 discs)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The Hobbit – An Unexpected Adventure[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Despicable Me[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo[/FONT]

Out of all these things I watched, I would highly recommend Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring Again. It's a Korean film (therefore subtitled, but there's not actually that much speech in it) about a Buddhist monk (I'm really selling this, aren't I :rotfl:) but it's honestly one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. As for the rest, Breaking Bad was quite fun, but not as good as everyone has been going on about, and Suits - my new show crush - is ace and underrated. Series 4 is currently airing on Dave on Thursday's at 9. I would totally recommend watching it - it's clever, funny and compulsive viewing.

Right, for each box set I am going to count each disc as 1 separate entity as each disk contains about 3 hours on each one, which is far longer than an average film. This might seem like cheating to some, but it means that a box set - which can be up to 26 or 30 hours of viewing, depending on which series it is - can count for the same as a 90 minute (1.5 hour) film, which doesn't seem to reflect the commitment we have put into watching them. ;)

Anyway, I think I've done pretty well there. It means I haven't read much at all, though, so I'll have to catch up on that side of things for the next month.

I'm also having a huge declutter of my entire abode, and I'm currently on the DVD bit. It's pure carnage! :eek: I'm sure I'll be back to post how many I've got rid of once it has been done.

Take care all. :)
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• Giggles86
    Options
    I'm doing quite well at working through my DVDs at the moment. I did acquire 4 new ones yesterday but I didn't pay for them. I'm trying to trim down my collection ready for a potential house move so I'm rewarding all the ones that might be victims of the cull, while also watching a couple of episodes of HIMYM every chance I get! I've recently watched Once More, About Time, all 4 Shrek films, Bridget Jones' Diary. Not sure what it'll be while I'm cleaning this afternoon!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport