We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The 'No More Buying DVDs Until I Have Watched the Ones I Already Own' Thread

Options

Comments

• Thrifty_Pixie
    Thrifty_Pixie Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Options
    hmm. was just feeling pretty good about purging DVDs and then Husband went and bought another Boy Film. of course then when i came across two films i wanted i had to have them out of spite :p

also realised i was giving away a DVD we hadn't even watched - The Incredibles - so i've added that back into the collection.

soooo...signature updated.
    Mortgage-Free Wannabe
    Mortgage at start [20/6/12]: £151,800/MFD Jun 2035 (age 65)
    Mortgage now [5/11/14]: £139,212.14/MFD Oct 2029 (age 59)
    Personal Library 2014
    :starmod: Read in 2014: 57/60 :starmod: In Progress: 2 :starmod: Books In: 94 :starmod: Books Out: 12 :starmod: TBR: 847 :starmod:
  • InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    blindtoast wrote: »
    Its nice to see someone else didn't like The English Patient :beer:. Everyone raves about it and I get very odd looks when I say I didn't like it! I've sat through the whole thing twice because someone convinced me I may have been wrong the 1st time - I wasn't!

I saw that and was underwhelmed as well. Having said that, the book is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read.
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• InaPickle
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I watched two films yesterday but neither was on DVD so I'm probably cheating but never mind else I won't get the chance to list anything in the near future (I do find that watching films tends to inspire me to get stuck into the DVD collection a bit more)

I saw Avatar (at long last!) and The Arrival of Wang, a clever and interesting film about an interpreter who ends up interpreting for an alien who turns up in Rome. It all plays out much more realistically than it could ever sound on paper so watch it if you get the chance.
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P

• Gleek
    Gleek Posts: 710 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    2nbcap5.jpg

It was nice whilst it lasted. Bloody CEX shop and it's bargain prices (!)
    Princess Sparklepants
  • blindtoast
    Options
    Gleek wrote: »
    2nbcap5.jpg

It was nice whilst it lasted. Bloody CEX shop and it's bargain prices (!)

I know this pain well - although I am now much better at not buying things in there (mainly because if I find something I like I just add it to my Lovefilm rental list) I now just avoid it so it can't catch me out!

I am on disk 2 of Dexter S7 and watched 2 lovefilm disks over the weekend - The young Doctors notebook and Gambit - both really good :D
    No more buying books Books in 2016 = 20.
    Target for 2018 = 7/21
    No more buying DVDs ? 2018 target 27/52

Sealed pot challenge member #1733
  • Giggles86
    Options
    I have fairly recently had a good sort out of DVDs, though I must admit that Lovefilm is being used more frequently than the DVDs I still have to watch (though I'm watching Friends again because I need something light-hearted on while I work) I need to have another count up of the DVDs I've got to watch and I've been pretty good recently at not buying DVDs. Watched Broadchurch episodes 1-3 yesterday (Lovefilm though not my own) and although I'll admit I only added it to my rental list because of the lovely David Tennant, I've really enjoyed it so far...now to wait for the next episodes to come through though!
    *2014 £365/365days - £52/£365* *20p Savers club #17 £12.00/£50*
    March 2014 NSD 0/15 take lunch to work march 0/21
    sealed Pot Challenge #260
    NMB books: 6/94+ NMB DVDs: 13/67
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away."
  • (I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but...)

Does anyone else buy to complete or continue a series collection?!

I sometimes buy dvd's simply because I bought the previous film/show/dvd. I've a full set for the Saw franchise, Lord of the Rings, Jimmy Carr stand up, Ross Noble stand up, Super League (rugby) season reviews, Rush Hour 1-3 and many more I've forgotten about! Some I get for Christmas, but still remain unwatched, some I buy even though they're on sky movies HD in a few weeks.

Please tell me I'm not alone!
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    havent been in here for a while, buying less than we were but DH is still buying faster than we watch. finally can report we have got one episode of prison break to watch and weve managed to watch the whole thing from start to finish this year.
    watched sliding doors last weekend but it was borrowed not bought so it can be returned.
    took about 8 round to my mums that weve watched recently and have decided arent keepers
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • InaPickle
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all,

I have watched the following films recently.

I'm technically cheating as they were not on DVD, but a girl has to keep her inspiration up somehow. ;)

Hanna
    X Men: The Last Stand
    The 40 Year Old Virgin
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    P

• BACKFRMTHEEDGE
    Options
    This is one my New Year 2014 self imposed challenges : so last night we watched Father of the Bride 1 & 2 - now they are on their way to the Charity Shop.:D
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

Savings For Kids 1st Jan 2019 £16,112
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills