We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

CAT FLEAS - merged

Options

Comments

• Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The best way to get rid of them really is to get a pest control person in - a friend of mine got a really bad infestation and nothing seemed to have any effect until she got a professional in. It wasn't *that* expensive, in fact it probably worked out cheaper than buying all of the powders, sprays etc. I'd imagine that they have the kinds of chemicals that can work to disrupt the life cycle of the flea - when you spray etc it's never a one off, as you have to keep going to deal with newly hatched eggs.
  • metherer
    metherer Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    You know, this thread could have be all about me!

No matter what we try we keep ending up with fleas. DH and I are covered in bites (I caught three live fleas on my leg this morning) and the poor cats are at their wits end.

As much as I would like to use a natural, environmentaly friendly deterrant I think its going to have to be the pest control people for us.
    Not heavily in debt, but still trying to sort things out.
    Baby due July 2018.
  • orlao
    orlao Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

I used to have a cat with a really bad flea allergy and in IMHO you do need chemicals to get it clear if you have an infestation, Staykill worked for me! Or talk to your vets they might have something newer (and kinder to kids) and don't forget soft furnishings, linen ,pet beds, toys etc.....really really hot wash.....bad for the enviroment I know but the only thing I found that works. Keep the frontline right up to date...otherwise they'll come back but once you get rid of them (your council can be your last resort:eek:) it's easy to to keep them out with only the cat getting the chemicals!!!

O x
  • kickstart_3
    kickstart_3 Posts: 410 Forumite
    Options
    Thats the reason your bedroom is the worst ! I had a similar problem a few years ago , very humid summer , big flea outbreak. I did my dogs with Frontline and the rooms with Nuvan Top from the vets, but still was finding fleas in the bedroom. I went back to the vets and he said to let the dogs walk round the bedroom because they where protected with the Frontline and as they walk round the fleas will jump back onto the dogs , but the Frontline will kill them . I did and it worked !
  • Kimitatsu
    Kimitatsu Posts: 3,894 Forumite
    Options
    Put salt on the carpets and leave it overnight. It dessicates the fleas so that when you hoover in the morning you just hoover up dead bodies and dried eggs.

No chemicals and no side effects!
    Free/impartial debt advice: Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) | National Debtline | Find your local CAB
  • peachespeaches
    Options
    I heard about salt. Also borax. Ive tried borax, but I guess its not worked because we are still finding em. Will have a go with salt.
  • poppycracker
    poppycracker Posts: 1,735 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kimitatsu wrote: »
    Put salt on the carpets and leave it overnight. It dessicates the fleas so that when you hoover in the morning you just hoover up dead bodies and dried eggs.

No chemicals and no side effects!

Wow, never heard of that one, thanks Kimitatsu, I'll have to remember that for next time :eek:
    DFW Nerd no 239.....Last Personal Debt paid off Nov 2012!
    Donated 50 pints so far.... gold badge got 17/11/13! Blood Group O+
    mummy to 3 cats, 2 budgies and a cockatiel
  • nealallen
    nealallen Posts: 2,605 Forumite
    Options
    Found this http://www.petcentreonline.co.uk/ecommerce/Scripts/prodList~idCategory~122.htm

But in Tesco's larger stores they do a Flea treatment that come in a canaster. You close all windows, remove pets and plants and pull the lid off. The room is filled with a gas. Next morning open all the windows and the fleas will be gone.

Well they did for us :D
    Please do not feed the Trolls!
  • inspiremetosave
    Options
    Hiya,

Hope someone can help. Our house and 2 cats are riddled with fleas! We have used Frontline on the cats about 2 days ago - how long does this take to work? I have just emptied the bedrooms upstairs and used some (expensive) Bob Martin flea stuff, but I have only done one bedroom and its all gone. I am covered in bites - when I got up this morning I pulled FOURTEEN fleas off my legs...please help .........willing to try anything!......
    Targets for 2014 :

OP mortgage £18000

Pay £4260 into ISA
  • moozikgal
    moozikgal Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    This happend to me a few years back, got the dog treated but they just kept coming back!
    You can phone your local council, they can come and spray the house, i think it costs around £30 and you have to be out the house for a good few hours with the pets, but that is what helped us. The shop stuff didnt seem to work at all!

Give the council a ring, they will have a pest contol section and be able to come out and help.

Vix
    Deliver us from email....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills