CAT FLEAS - merged

Options

Comments

• Sharra
    Sharra Posts: 751 Forumite
    Options
    Just remember when buying flea treatment that shops aren't allowed to sell strong stuff, you must get that from the vets (a bit like shops aren't allowed to sell strong medicines, they must come from a pharmacy).
  • heavenleigh
    heavenleigh Posts: 906 Forumite
    Options
    Hi hun, the fleas attacking you is a sign the frontline is working on the cats.
    Fleas dont like human blood and tend to jump on your legs etc in hoards when the cats blood is infected with the frontline.
    I will save my tesco £1 savings stamps this year! .......so far = £50 (full card#1)
    Card #2 £6. I will not be skint at Chistmas this year!

Total £56
  • sexymouse
    sexymouse Posts: 6,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Go straight to your vets - it is much cheaper than getting the local council out, as you have to move all of your furniture out the way for them first anyway. My black cat got fleas from the cat upstairs last year, and we got a big can of spray from the vets for about £15, plus some stronghold from them. We had to hoover everywhere before spraying (the spray lasts up to 6 months though once it is down), and wash all of the bedding, as they had actually got under the matress protector and were eating me alive - OH never got bitten. I also spent loads of money on all the Bob Martin stuff before going to the vet, and I know it doesn't work.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Angel Baby Poppy born 8/11/15, Rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
    £997.87/£2020
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    If you are on benefits (i'm not sure whether tax credit is included) there should be no or minimal charge for the council - yes you have to move furniture to some extent, but they will deal with the infestation & should come back later to check all clear.

Fleas will lay eggs, and not all sprays kill all the eggs....then the cycle will repeat itself. The council stuff will kill the eggs & any larvae and break the cycle.

And you need to get your feline friends sorted out via your vet at the same time.

Anthisan is good for the bites, by the way, or calamine lotion but it leaves you a bit crusty!
  • Mrs_A_4
    Mrs_A_4 Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    I have a similar problem - don't have a cat but my husband regularly "borrows" (ie lets in, feeds, talks to:mad:) next door's two.

Spent the last fortnight telling myself that the many bites on my ankles and legs could not be flea bites as we don't technically have a cat, and fleas sound gross...

Today I gave in and bought a flea bomb. Dunno if it has worked (never actually saw a flea anyway, just the bites - itchy as hell) but setting it off was bizarrely fun. If the biting stops, I will know it has worked!:o
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'll move this over to the pets board where it should get more response.

We did ours a couple of weeks ago with the can of spray for the house and frontline for the cats. I saw a flea today and I have been bitten a couple of times since we sprayed.

Should we do it again with the can? The cats seem to be okay - I did them twice, 3 weeks apart. I have 2 little ones and don't want to be going mad with chemicals but no way am I putting up with fleas in the house.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • sexymouse
    sexymouse Posts: 6,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It is probably because one of the pupae have hatched - they look like little bits of hard black grit (a bit like tarmac), and no spray or will get rid of them - hence why you have to thoroughly hoover everywhere first and then empty hoover. However, once the pupae hatch and you have sprayed the carpets etc, this should kill them once they come into contact with it - this is what my vet nurse told me at the time.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Angel Baby Poppy born 8/11/15, Rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
    £997.87/£2020
  • quill_2
    quill_2 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    How frequently would the injection be please? Cost per cat?
  • peachespeaches
    Options
    The above link is what I used in our house. Twice. It dont work! Husband still finding fleas on leg and getting bitten. Now baby is affected and as she has eczema I need some strong stuff. I dont want to get the council in as you have to move all your stuff and put all your stuff away.

Im going to try and get some vet prescription only stuff.
  • chatta
    chatta Posts: 3,392 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You need frontline plus, online sites can only sell the one that kills fleas on the animal. You need a vet presciption for the frontline that sterilises the fleas stopping them from breeding as well. Vigorous hoovering helps x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure