Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Options

Comments

• natweststaffmember
    Options
    DanDaniel wrote: »
    Just some advice needed please. I went through a lengthy process of letters and telephone calls with Halifax trying to reclaim 3 years of charges totalling £6000. I accepted an offer for £400 as a goodwill gesture and continued my fight to the FOS. I had mortgage arrears council tax arrears and numerous other unpaid bills. We have to pay £100 a month extra to cover our arrears on the mortgage with halifax which totaled £3000. We subsequently had to borrow the money from Wonga.com (at around 2500%pa) to pay the council tax as it was going to court. The FOS have done little really other than to point out that the recent court case left them with little to argue against Halifax. So we are still struggling and halifax refuse to budge on the recent overdraft charges as we are £2000 & £1400 in to our overdrafts. So is this the end of the road for us ? i presume because the FOS have settled in Halifax's favor there is nothing left to do ? i see there are some new template letters but i'm not sure if there is any point after losing with the FOS. Any help gratefully received ( ready to kiss goodbye to the prospect of getting our £5500 back )

Read my signature page 20. Furthermore, if you feel that the bank did not treat you fairly or did not address your needs on financial hardship earlier you may still have a case. I think you need to document everything specific to your case and how the charges escalated and the effect it had on your income and arrears.
    What did Halifax do to help you with your mortgage arrears?
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
  • natweststaffmember
    Options
    is the reduction in DD charges from £38 to £5 and arguement against them that they were charging an unfair amount?

nope..........
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
  • DanDaniel
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, Halifax have increased our mortgage payments by £100 a month to cover some of the arrears, they are then going to consolidate the outstanding amount after 6 months on to the mortgage. Any advice on what i should do next with reference to letters etc ? considering the FOS have dismissed the complaint. All manner of things have crossed my mind from writing to the CEO to contacting the Chairman, i do not know where to turn now and we now have overdraft fees to pay. I have been a customer of theirs for 10 yrs now with mortgage etc but i will be changing to another provider as soon as i am in a position to. I have read your signature with thanks. Dan
  • pool-hustler
    Options
    nope..........

how can that be?
    Surely they should justify that?
  • shelby1306
    Options
    Hi guys, I am recently in battle with my bank over unfair charges. I have quoted the Social Security act 1992 in my letter of complaint and the bank have given me a goodwill gesture payment of £35. Their reply was...

"It is the bank's position that the Social Security act 1992 is not of relevance in the circumstances of this case. The act states that every assignment of or charge on benifits shall be void; this means any attempt by you to assign a right to your benefits or offer them as security will be void. This section does not relate to bank charges."

Anyone have any advise for my next step as I am finding this all really stressfull. I am a single parent and really struggling with these charges. I would also like to query if their is an amount of time the bank should give you before withdrawing the charges in order for someone in my position to budget for said charges? As at presnt the letters give no indication of when I can expect the charges to come out making it impossible for me to budget for it.
    Any help would be great, thanks :-)
  • simonwilliams
    Options
    Hello natweststaffmember,
    You seem to know your onions so I thought I'd ask you something if I may.

I have a reclaim case with abbey dating back to July 2007 that is still on hold at the courts.

We are totally skint and are getting into debt so I would like to try the hardship avenue - but the question I can't seem to find a concrete answer to is -

Do I apply for hardship at the bank or the court? (case already on hold at court)

Any help appreciated as the MSE help guide on this is not yet published.

Cheers
    Simon
  • pauldv
    Options
    I was reclaiming £433 from HSBC after court case got standard letter but as my hours have been cut in work I thought I would try financial hardship so I sent them a new letter basicly giving them a sob story about work hours been cut down, got no money, cant get more work hours or new job and someone called me a week later asking for my income and expenditure I wasn't at home so I said I would have to call them back so I called them today and had to speak to someone different but before I could give I & E she said "I haven't received any charges in the last 6 months and after the outcome of the court case we only review charges from last 6 months" I said even though the charges date from 2-3 years ago the case has been on hold so I couldn't do anything anyway, she said again "they can only review the last 6 months charges and I have none.

Any ideas what to do now?
  • pauldv
    Options
    Hi

I was reclaiming £433 from HSBC after court case got standard letter but as my hours have been cut in work I thought I would try financial hardship so I sent them a new letter basicly giving them a sob story about work hours been cut down, got no money, cant get more work hours or new job and someone called me a week later asking for my income and expenditure I wasn't at home so I said I would have to call them back so I called them today and had to speak to someone different but before I could give I & E she said "I haven't received any charges in the last 6 months and after the outcome of the court case we only review charges from last 6 months" I said even though the charges date from 2-3 years ago the case has been on hold so I couldn't do anything anyway, she said again "they can only review the last 6 months charges and I have none.

Any ideas what to do now?

On a different side MBNA have been great I told them I was struggling to repay credit card and went through income/expenditure with them and they have froze my interest and any charges until my circumstances improve. That was a nice surprise.
  • moaninminnie_2
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Not sure I'm in the right place so apologies if I'm not! I bank with Lloyds TSB and so far have gotten nowhere with them in claiming back approx £2,500 of bank charges. I have gone down the financial hardship route for genuine reasons but this seems to have been totally ignored. Has anyone had any success or am I just extremely unlucky??
  • pool-hustler
    Options
    perhaps you spend too much? ie buying Heinz beans instead of tesco value beans?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback