Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You won't win any complaint about "unfair" bank charges. The letters about chasing you through debt agencies are clearly template letters which don't apply in your circumstances.

Post on the bankruptcy board for more comprehensive advice. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136
  • Yankeedudu
    Options
    Hello, please my current account of over 5 years has just been closed today by Nationwide due to going over my over draft limit every month. Please my question is can I reclaim any thing back from them as I have not been working since last year February and nationwide has been charging me at least £50 a month for over 4 years for unauthorised overdraft and returned direct debit. Thanks
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yankeedudu wrote: »
    Hello, please my current account of over 5 years has just been closed today by Nationwide due to going over my over draft limit every month. Please my question is can I reclaim any thing back from them as I have not been working since last year February and nationwide has been charging me at least £50 a month for over 4 years for unauthorised overdraft and returned direct debit. Thanks

On what basis do you think they should be refunding you anything?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    Yankeedudu wrote: »

See the mse guide. You can ask to reclaim these charges if you're in financial hardship, due to unemployment and so on.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • OrganisingMyLife
    Options
    If I want to reclaim my unfair charges from my credit card, but the original account has been passed to a collection company and I am in a Debt Management Plan, Who do I send a letter to to reclaim the charges? The original Bank, or the collection company? Thanks!
    Finally debt free! :j :j :j
    LBM 2010 - £10,039, July 2013 - £8,048, December 2015 - £6,349, July 2016 - £6,083, 22nd March 2019 £0!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Debts paid off: ALL :j

Sealed Pot Challenge - #1820
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If I want to reclaim my unfair charges from my credit card, but the original account has been passed to a collection company and I am in a Debt Management Plan, Who do I send a letter to to reclaim the charges? The original Bank, or the collection company? Thanks!

There are no such thing as "unfair charges", the banks won the court case on that. Even if you could, given your circumstances the bank would simply use them against your unpaid debts - you do not reclaim anything
  • podmore
    podmore Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Guys.
    after seeing martin on GMTV some time ago stating that you can claim money back on bank charges, I decided to do just that, I have an advantage gold account for over ten years, and without using any of the benefits I chose to try to claim back charge after the charges had gone up three time without consultation, however the bank had told me that it was outside the time limits for making a claim, of which I was unaware of. after a lot of collaboration they informed me that I would not be eligible for any payment, I then got the ombudsman involved, after they investigated my case they also said it was outside the FCA limit. they have now informed me that I have no case.. What Next??
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    podmore wrote: »
    they have now informed me that I have no case.. What Next??
    Since you have already exhausted all the complaint avenues (other than going to court which isn't recommended), the only realistic thing you can do is to put this behind you and get on with your life.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    podmore wrote: »
    Hi Guys.
    after seeing martin on GMTV some time ago stating that you can claim money back on bank charges, I decided to do just that, I have an advantage gold account for over ten years, and without using any of the benefits I chose to try to claim back charge after the charges had gone up three time without consultation, however the bank had told me that it was outside the time limits for making a claim, of which I was unaware of. after a lot of collaboration they informed me that I would not be eligible for any payment, I then got the ombudsman involved, after they investigated my case they also said it was outside the FCA limit. they have now informed me that I have no case.. What Next??

They may mean that the bank is imposing a time bar which they are allowed to do - you have to complain about an issue within 3 years of knowing about it or 6 years after the event - basically if the bank told you about the benefits 3 years ago and you didn't choose to complain then they can time bar the complaint under FCA rules - the ombudsman cannot overrule this. What next is that you ask the bank to downgrade you to a free account and move on.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    after seeing martin on GMTV some time ago stating that you can claim money back on bank charges, I decided to do just that,

I'm surprised that you saw Martin on TV talking about unfair bank charges as the banks won that argument in 2009 in the courts (that is the subject of this thread).
    I have an advantage gold account for over ten years, and without using any of the benefits I chose to try to claim back charge after the charges had gone up three time without consultation,
    Ahh. So you are talking about packaged bank accounts (not the subject of this thread).

The bank is not required to consult with you about their charging levels. Just notify you of any changes - which they do.
    however the bank had told me that it was outside the time limits for making a claim, of which I was unaware of. after a lot of collaboration they informed me that I would not be eligible for any payment, I then got the ombudsman involved, after they investigated my case they also said it was outside the FCA limit. they have now informed me that I have no case.. What Next??

Most packaged bank account complaints are either timebarred are getting very close to being so.

You have three years from being reasonably aware of an issue to raise a complaint. You failed to do so. Hence why you are timebarred. The timebar clock is based on you being notified in writing.

I was at an ombudsman meeting recently and packaged bank accounts came up in conversation and the FOS said they did not have a problem with packaged bank accounts in general. (i.e. there is little wrong with them packaging accounts like that). So, as long as they were sold correctly (or being seen to be sold correctly) and the review letters have been going out to the correct address, then they see no reason to uphold a complaint, even on ones that are not timebarred.
    What Next??

Learn to read your post when you get it and take more interest in your financial affairs as they happen and dont wait for some person on GMTV many years down the road give you snippets of info that may or may not apply to you.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback