Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Options

Comments

• Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    No, Select is the fee free account.

Although RBS (NatWest) have pledged to stop referring to bank fees as "charges" on statements later this year.

NatWest packaged account reclaims have been successful as many were mis-sold, but these would have been on the Advantage Gold account etc. These fees were just referred to as charges on monthly statements, so this may account for the confusion.

You should only be charged £6 pcm if the overdraft is used though, ie the fee is not for the facility but for using it.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • Tony_Doolin
    Options
    Hi all,
    Just trying to find out if there is a case for claiming back Bank Charges and PPI in Canada ?
    I know it sounds strange, however I moved from the UK to Canada in November 2007 and I'm wondering if the banking system over here is the same as in the UK. I've been looking for any info on claiming back bank charges and PPI here in Canada for months now and there doesn't seam to be any information on the web as how to do it, or if it's even a possibility over here.
    Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,
    Just trying to find out if there is a case for claiming back Bank Charges and PPI in Canada ?...

Not the faintest idea, sorry.
    .....I know it sounds strange, however I moved from the UK to Canada in November 2007 and I'm wondering if the banking system over here is the same as in the UK. I've been looking for any info on claiming back bank charges and PPI here in Canada for months now and there doesn't seam to be any information on the web as how to do it, or if it's even a possibility over here.
    Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

There is a Financial Consumer Agency of Canada and they have an Ombudsman for Banking Services and Investments and a General Insurance OmbudService. It looks everything works along the standard lines of (a) there are rules and there is (b) a complaints process.

But the basic limitation period in Canada looks like it's only two years, and Canada is federal, so it may depend on which state you were in.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi all,
    Just trying to find out if there is a case for claiming back Bank Charges and PPI in Canada ?
    Since a Google search of "PPI in Canada" brings up only results about Protein Pump Inhibitors :D , I imagine there isn't much scope.

The PPI scandal is very much a UK phenomenon, but if you can show an insurance was mis-sold to you then you can complain to the provider of it wherever you reside in the world.

Any reason why you keep coming back to ask this? You were answered already here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70465991
  • Tony_Doolin
    Options
    I'm still a little lost around this forum and that is maybe why I have asked the same question in a few of them.
    Sorry for any confusion and thank you for your help
  • MitziB
    MitziB Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Apologies if this is the wrong thread for my queries but I hope some kind soul can point me in the right direction to find the information that I need.

I want to send a SAR to Santander regarding my current account. I have been on a DMP for exactly 3 years and the account is not officially in use now. However, as I still owe money to them for an overdraft they are receiving payments from my Debt Management company and are sending me twice-yearly statements. I have been shut out of using my online banking facility so can't even check past statements online. Is this considered to be an open or a closed account now please? Might seem a stupid question, sorry:o

My main query is about where I need to send the Santander SAR letter. I have looked through all the correspondence I have received recently from Santander and the addresses are almost all different. They seem to have addresses all over the country dealing with different aspects of their services:(.

Thanks for reading. All advice very welcome:beer:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you are hoping to make a PPI complaint while on a DMP then you should realise that any redress awarded can be legitimately offset against any unpaid debt you still owe. In addition, historical bank charges will not be refunded on an account which is in default and no longer in use.

What do you actually want to achieve with your SAR? It could be just a waste of a further £10.
  • MitziB
    MitziB Posts: 56 Forumite
    edited 13 April 2016 at 9:10AM
    Options
    If you are hoping to make a PPI complaint while on a DMP then you should realise that any redress awarded can be legitimately offset against any unpaid debt you still owe. In addition, historical bank charges will not be refunded on an account which is in default and no longer in use.

What do you actually want to achieve with your SAR? It could be just a waste of a further £10.

Thanks very much for that comprehensive reply, Moneyineptitude:T. Sadly, the information in it doesn't exactly fill me with hope!

I had realised about the situation with any PPI redress probably being offset against unpaid debt. This has already happened to me with another lender but it's good because it nearly paid off my remaining debt to them. Win-win result as my other creditors are getting more per month now and my DFD will be much closer:j

This latest claim is not PPI but bank charges but it looks as if they wouldn't entertain a refund because I'm in default (albeit paying their accepted amount on a DMP without any missed payments).

As I have no internet access to this account any more I was hoping a SAR would result in my being sent a big wodge of past bank statements going back years. That's really what I want. I know requesting individual copy statements means a charge of £10? per copy:eek:, I was hoping I'd get the whole lot for £10 which would be money very well spent IMO. Am I correct in thinking a SAR will result in the volume and type of information that I want please?

The bank I am targeting now (Santander) was my main current account pre-DMP and every payment I made to credit card companies etc will be there for me to review. It will also show no sign of extravagant spending;), just day-to-day essentials and utilities etc. Also, I practically lived on credit cards for cash in those days:o, withdrawing cash from cards via ATMs and paying it into my bank account just to survive. It won't name the card companies on the statements as I paid money into my current account in cash but it will show some sort of pattern. To me anyway;). I can decide what to do next from there.

I was in considerable financial hardship then (and still continue to be now to a lesser extent) and bank costs through OL and late fees were a killer, it was a nightmare time of fees on fees:eek:. However, if you say banks won't offer redress when an account is in default I'm a bit unsure how to proceed.

Any further advice would be really welcome and helpful. Thank you:beer:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    MitziB wrote: »
    I was in considerable financial hardship then
    As I said in the earlier response, you need to be in current financial hardship in order to have any hope of a refund of bank charges. But your account is suspended and is already subject to frozen interest etc. Historical bank charges are not refunded, typically only the last six months.

Don't waste any more time (and especially money) with this.
  • devonia
    Options
    I need to know if i can reclaim charges from my bank, i had a platinum account and was paying £17 a month for the use of insurance for mobile phone going abroad and the AA. Well i dont go abroad i don't drive and have a cheap mobile phone. I am sure i was not told about this charge. I would not have taken it otherwise. I have now changed my account to a classic where i don't have charges. Can i claim these charges back please help
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback