Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Options

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    devonia wrote: »
    I need to know if i can reclaim charges from my bank, i had a platinum account and was paying £17 a month for the use of insurance for mobile phone going abroad and the AA. Well i dont go abroad i don't drive and have a cheap mobile phone. I am sure i was not told about this charge. I would not have taken it otherwise. I have now changed my account to a classic where i don't have charges. Can i claim these charges back please help

This thread is not about packaged bank charges.

However, in answer to your question, if you feel you have grounds for complaint, then you should make your complaint.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • MickMc
    Options
    Apologies if this is in the wrong thread but this may be of use to someone.
    With regards to packaged bank accounts, I read information about reclaiming charges on Wednesday on this website but was unsure of dates that I held previous accounts with Lloyd's to formulate a letter of complaint. Therefore rang Lloyd's who referred me directly to their complaints department.
    I outlined my concerns in relation to a previous Platinum account (unrequired breakdown cover, mobile insurance) and they also informed me about a previous Gold account I had held. On Wednesday they took information over the phone and indicated they would ring me the following day.
    Well they rang last night to inform me they agreed with my concerns and returned £2000 to my account this morning.
    Happy Days
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Apologies if this is in the wrong thread but this may be of use to someone.

Yes it is. This thread is about conventional bank charges, such as unauthorised borrowing and bounced items.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • lesbro
    lesbro Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How can charges be reclaimed for someone who has mental problems and cannot deal with it themselves?
  • dunstonh
    Options
    lesbro wrote: »
    How can charges be reclaimed for someone who has mental problems and cannot deal with it themselves?

On what basis are they trying to reclaim (noting the limited reasons that exist nowadays)?

If the person is unable to do it themselves, then a family member or friend can help out or citizens advice bureau.
  • lesbro
    Options
    They are unable to do paperwork so has been taken over by a family member after having been paying overdraft charges that kept increasing. This has now stopped but she was in dire straits at the time but is now better financially. Can a claim be made for the charges paid at that time?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    she was in dire straits at the time but is now better financially. Can a claim be made for the charges paid at that time?
    Only complaints due to current financial hardship will be considered. Any refunds are goodwill payments and typically cover only the last six months.

This thread reiterates this in detail over and over.

If there are no recent charges, you are wasting your time...
  • dunstonh
    Options
    They are unable to do paperwork so has been taken over by a family member after having been paying overdraft charges that kept increasing. This has now stopped but she was in dire straits at the time but is now better financially. Can a claim be made for the charges paid at that time?

As mentioned, bank charge reclaims on current financial hardship are based on the current financial position and not the historic one. However, with mental illness, the banks are generally quite good on these and if they can see the mental illness was linked to the level of charges incurred at the time, they may well look at a goodwill offer.

So, putting a case to them may be worth it but go with the expectation that its unlikely but if there is something paid then its bonus.
  • lesbro
    Options
    Thank you I will pass on that information and hope she is lucky.
  • hazel3603
    hazel3603 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Hello!!!! My hubby and I went bankrupt back in 2007 and were discharged the same year. At the same time, we were claiming back over 11000 in unfair charges. Since then, we have had letters every year saying our balance is, 9000, then. 9500 up until last year when it said 12000. Didn't say whether is was credit or deficit. (At the time our overdraft was 2000 and they have clearly been adding interest to this). Today we got more letters but these ones said we were in debt of 12000 and they can pursue the debt by going through debt agencies. ERM- am I stupid?? They owe US money but told us we couldn't claim due to going bankrupt. Funny though as 3 other companies who unfairly charged us during those years have since paid up(without us claiming). What is all this about? Now I don't know whether to reclaim for the unfair charges or waste money on a stamp to remind them we went bankrupt. I'm aware that if I do this, they are likely to plague us!!! God, this was years ago!!
    :wall:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure