Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Options

Comments

• cameliaG
    Options
    Hi there
    It has come to my attention recently that I am paying an Insurance Aspect fee for the HSBC Advance account that I don't have to. My sister and I were talking and she told me she has an advance account but does not pay the 9.99 monthly charge. Now, I signed up to the account a long time ago when the fee was 12.95 as I needed the benefits at the time. A couple of years ago they made the account free as long as you pay in a certain amount each month (which I do) then made the fee optional. I was never asked to 'opt in' it was just transferred over. I haven't used it the benefits and to be honest didn't realise what was happening due to general life busyness. Can anyone help me in finding out what my rights are in reclaiming? thanks!
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cameliaG wrote: »
    Hi there
    It has come to my attention recently that I am paying an Insurance Aspect fee for the HSBC Advance account that I don't have to. My sister and I were talking and she told me she has an advance account but does not pay the 9.99 monthly charge. Now, I signed up to the account a long time ago when the fee was 12.95 as I needed the benefits at the time. A couple of years ago they made the account free as long as you pay in a certain amount each month (which I do) then made the fee optional. I was never asked to 'opt in' it was just transferred over. I haven't used it the benefits and to be honest didn't realise what was happening due to general life busyness. Can anyone help me in finding out what my rights are in reclaiming? thanks!

The issue is miss-selling - you said you chose the account due to the benefits at the time therefore it was not miss-sold. They will have informed you of the new account options at the time and if you choose not to move that is not their fault.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was never asked to 'opt in' it was just transferred over.

But you were given the option to opt out.
    I haven't used it the benefits and to be honest didn't realise what was happening due to general life busyness. Can anyone help me in finding out what my rights are in reclaiming?

Reclaim what? It wasnt mis-sold as you have verified you needed the benefits at point of sale.

They told you about the changes they made. So, nothing wrong there. So, what exactly is it that you want to complain about?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • jenhigh55
    Options
    Hi I tried to claim back astronomical bank fees some years ago from the Alliance and Leicester Bank and was just told an emphatic "no" as this bank is no longer in existence and the statements would be extremely hard to reproduce would it be any use pursuing? I think I could unearth some of the statements hopefully I haven't thrown everything out!!
    Thanks for your help
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    jenhigh55 wrote: »
    would it be any use pursuing?
    That would be yet another emphatic "no" I'm afraid.

The Banks won their court case on Bank Charges in 2009. Since then only current Hardship cases are even considered for refunds of charges. Historical Bank Charges are not recoverable.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    jenhigh55 wrote: »
    Hi I tried to claim back astronomical bank fees some years ago from the Alliance and Leicester Bank and was just told an emphatic "no" as this bank is no longer in existence and the statements would be extremely hard to reproduce would it be any use pursuing? I think I could unearth some of the statements hopefully I haven't thrown everything out!!
    Thanks for your help

As the banks won the court case in 2009, reclaiming "unfair" bank charges ended at that point. It is only incorrect application or current financial hardship cases that are still considered. Even then, its a goodwill gesture.

As A&L no longer exist and you dont bank with them, there cannot be current hardship and they are not around to give you a goodwill gesture.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Newgirl711
    Options
    Hi,
    Sorry not sure if I am on the correct site or not but would like to ask about reclaiming packaged bank account fees.

I was told by my bank many years ago I had to upgrade my account in order to get a loan and overdraft as this would increase my chances of getting the loan approved.

Do I need to contact my bank to get copies of my bank statements before I can reclaim?

Thanks
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Sorry not sure if I am on the correct site or not but would like to ask about reclaiming packaged bank account fees.

This thread is about overdraft and bounced cheque/direct debit charges.
    Do I need to contact my bank to get copies of my bank statements before I can reclaim?

No. Your bank knows your details and does not need you to supply what they already have.
  • MattGb
    MattGb Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Hasn't this all ended now? I still get call about it :(
    :j:j:j:j
  • Carriem
    Carriem Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    hi I have tried searching but is there still a thead with all the contact details of the banks businesses for PPI reclaiming? also is there a standard SARs letter anywhere? thank you
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback