Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Options

Comments

• jasper27
    jasper27 Posts: 274 Forumite
    Options
    Try posting on (or just reading) the "Debt Free Wannabe" board of this forum. Plenty of hints, tips and support from others in a similar position;
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76

Thanks... I've read that many many times and taken lots of advice from it..and the thrifty threads, etc etc ...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I don't think you should be advising people it's game over....
    Did you read the question, or just the response? The poster in question was asking about bank charges from years ago which the Bank partly refunded immediately prior to the court case. The court case put paid to any further refund, so it's "game over".

As for your own case, I've no idea what you mean by "12 twelves" but if your complaint is about historical bank charges then the bank will not refund or even consider your complaint. You'll just receive a standard rejection letter.

Bank charges are not illegal.
    some people have had all their charges back
    Not for historical charges, only current ones.
  • jasper27
    Options
    Charging someone 12 twelves in one month surely should be illegal!?? Doesn't make their situation any better, what banks do is disgraceful, I'd like to know who they did an underhand payment to in the courts to win the case!! This happened to someone I know and I have put a claim in for my bank charges as has my friend and I wont be happy unless they refund a quarter of the full amount!

I'm sure the FOS would have something to say about being charged 12 twelves in one month....surely that's excessive?

I have heard people on this thread say they've been offered a quarter of charges back and some people have had all their charges back so I don't think you should be advising people it's game over....

I agree, I was paying bank charges of £25 regularly, the more charges I got the more I got into debt and therefore incurred more charges, it was a vicious circle, as I imagined the majority of people experienced.

I don't understand why they only paid out on one claim (the least amount) when both claims were filed at the same time, surely the criteria to pay out the first claim was the same for the 2nd claim?

But it seems, as has been said, it's 'game over'
  • Working-Girl
    Options
    Did you read the question, or just the response? The poster in question was asking about bank charges from years ago which the Bank partly refunded immediately prior to the court case. The court case put paid to any further refund, so it's "game over".

As for your own case, I've no idea what you mean by "12 twelves" but if your complaint is about historical bank charges then the bank will not refund or even consider your complaint. You'll just receive a standard rejection letter.

Bank charges are not illegal.

Not for historical charges, only current ones.

12 charges I meant! I know someone who was charged that amount of times in one month......does that seem legal or ok to you?!

Ok I guess you are the all knowing of bank charges and lording over all that is known about how every bank deals with innappropriate bank charges.....

We'll just see about that.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ok I guess you are the all knowing of bank charges and lording over all that is known about how every bank deals with innappropriate bank charges.....
    If you've complained using terms like "unfair", "inappropriate" or "illegal" you are guaranteed to be rejected.

As this thread attests, in order to have even some bank charges refunded you need to be deemed in current financial hardship by the Bank.

I wasn't the original poster you replied to, by the way, I was just reiterating what he said.
    We'll just see about that.
    I sincerely doubt it, unless you are in current financial hardship.
  • Working-Girl
    Options
    jasper27 wrote: »
    I agree, I was paying bank charges of £25 regularly, the more charges I got the more I got into debt and therefore incurred more charges, it was a vicious circle, as I imagined the majority of people experienced.

I don't understand why they only paid out on one claim (the least amount) when both claims were filed at the same time, surely the criteria to pay out the first claim was the same for the 2nd claim?

But it seems, as has been said, it's 'game over'

it's true that it's unlikely we'll get all charges back but anything is better than nothing, even if it is only 6 months worth....

As long as you write an appropriate letter explaininbg that at the time of the charges it made your situation no better youi never know, even better if it is charges from the last 6 months? Historical charges?! If you don't ask you don't get and for the price of a stamp It's worth it, don't be detered by other people :)
  • Working-Girl
    Working-Girl Posts: 34 Forumite
    edited 24 July 2014 at 12:17PM
    Options
    If you've complained using terms like "unfair", "inappropriate" or "illegal" you are guaranteed to be rejected.

As this thread attests, in order to have even some bank charges refunded you need to be deemed in current financial hardship by the Bank.

I wasn't the original poster you replied to, by the way, I was just reiterating what he said.

I sincerely doubt it, unless you are in current financial hardship.

No I am not due to having to work three jobs the past 6 months to get myself out of debt and I am nearly there and very proud of myself.....I'm not sure what debt constitutes to though as It was only my credit card I owed on and I don't have to pay it off but I wanted to!

I'll get something back even if it takes a few months and is only for 6 months of charges.....
  • jasper27
    Options
    it's true that it's unlikely we'll get all charges back but anything is better than nothing, even if it is only 6 months worth....

As long as you write an appropriate letter explaininbg that at the time of the charges it made your situation no better youi never know, even better if it is charges from the last 6 months? Historical charges?! If you don't ask you don't get and for the price of a stamp It's worth it, don't be detered by other people :)

Thanks Working-Girl, I will give it a try, you never know, I may have missed something in my original claim :)

Good luck!

It's nice to have a friendly 'face/voice' on your side.

Jasper27 ..not a 'he' .. I'm female! lol
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It really matters little now, but the Bank were indeed guilty of using such delaying tactics during the period immediately prior to the court case. There was no "criteria" back then. It looks as if they refunded the cheaper of your two claims, but then put everything on "hold" due to the impending legal proceedings. The Banks success in court means only those in CURRENT financial hardship have any hope of a charges refund unless there have been errors by the Bank.
    Historical charges?! If you don't ask you don't get

Even if you ask you won't get.
    It's worth it, don't be detered by other people.

The Bank will "deter" you, though, not posters on a forum.:)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I will give it a try, you never know, I may have missed something in my original claim :)
    Completely futile. I give up, even if you have not!:p
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure