Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Options

Comments

• Christabelle
    Options
    If someone could either help or point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Thank you
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If someone could either help or point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Thank you

What have you asked them for ? Surely all you need are statements ?

On what basis are you making a complaint ? As the banks won the court case about "unfair charges" back in 2009, any refunds now are on a goodwill basis and few and far between.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,568 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have used the template to reclaim bank charges and have received a shed load of information back from Lloyds TSB but the actual bit relating to the actual charges isn't that obvious so I'm wondering if someone could point me in the right direction as to where I should be looking? I am not convinced they have supplied me with ANY information relating to charges against my account. I have very little by the way of statements because I was paperless and now have no access to my account via online banking because the account is closed.

A data subject access request requires them to supply copies of what they hold. This includes documents not designed for customer reading (so codes etc may be present). There is no requirement for them to turn it into customer friendly reading.
    I am in dispute with them via the ombudsman at the moment and I do wonder if they sent me this shed load of information in the hopes that I will go away because there must be thousands in charges on my account with them?

What are you in dispute with the ombudsman over? They do not normally consider complaints about unfair bank charges (a position taken after they won the court case).

What basis is your reclaim of charge over as it appears you have no grounds. It is a closed account (so doesnt qualify under current financial hardship) and you say its on unfair charges (which usually results in auto rejection with reference to the court case).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Christabelle
    Options
    The ombudsman complaint is over something totally different not bank charges but just want to keep it to reclaiming bank charges for my question at the moment or matters will just get confused.

Yes there are sheets and sheets of codes but nothing that looks like it has a monetary value to it? That's the confusing part. I just thought if someone else had received the information back in the same format they might be able to tell me where to look for the info that is relevant?

I looked over all the criteria to claim prior to firing off the SARs letter and we meet most of them including hardship.

Thanks for replying
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,568 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I looked over all the criteria to claim prior to firing off the SARs letter and we meet most of them including hardship.

How do you meet CURRENT hardship criteria on a closed account?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Christabelle
    Options
    I don't mean to sound rude but could we stick to the original question please because I don't want to go into personal circumstances. I've looked through all the information from various bodies, website and forums and we meet the requirements to claim back the charges. I've had the information back and now need to decipher what is relevant and what is irrelevant for me to take the matter forward.

Thank you for your help
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 July 2014 at 3:58PM
    Options
    The ombudsman complaint is over something totally different not bank charges but just want to keep it to reclaiming bank charges for my question at the moment or matters will just get confused.

Yes there are sheets and sheets of codes but nothing that looks like it has a monetary value to it? That's the confusing part. I just thought if someone else had received the information back in the same format they might be able to tell me where to look for the info that is relevant?

Thanks for replying

If you're not in financial hardship at the moment, it will be difficult for you to make a successful complaint about charges for this reason.

They aren't under any obligation to refund anything. Why don't you call them to ask what the information means ? Without seeing it, no-one will be able to offer any constructive advice. No-one on a website or forum can confirm that you meet any criteria. Only the bank can make that decision.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 July 2014 at 10:20AM
    Options
    we meet the requirements to claim back the charges.
    Not on a CLOSED account you don't, unless it's only recently been closed and the charges contributed to CURRENT financial hardship.
  • Working-Girl
    Options
    It states on this website you can still put in to reclaim bank charges even if now you are not in finantial difficulty but were at the time of all the charges......

Anyway I've just put in a claim for bank charges and interest to Barclays for £1500.....for the past 6 years....

Has anyone had any experience and any kind of success in claiming for charges against Barclays in the past year or so?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Anyway I've just put in a claim for bank charges and interest to Barclays for £1500.....for the past 6 years....
    If the Bank decide to refund anything at all (they are not under any obligation to) the most you are likely to get is a refund of (some) charges from the last six months.

Read back through this thread, you won't find even one instance of anyone reporting success in claiming back historical bank charges.

You need to be in CURRENT financial hardship for the Bank to even consider your complaint.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback