Leaving Pipex?

Options

Comments

• FJSRiDER
    FJSRiDER Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    hth offers are available you need to tell them what you want to pay.:D
    i decided to stay after they accepted my offer of a 1 year deal which means over 1 year i will pay less than before.lol:rotfl:some increase.lol
    They must be sweating about the loss of customers then - I'd negotiated a deal back in December only to be told that it was no longer going to be honoured.

I can't be bothered to argue with businesses like that any more - I'd rather give my money to someone who will behave properly.
  • FJSRiDER
    FJSRiDER Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    mexpman wrote: »
    Also who is the best to change to ?
    See who supplies your exchange (not everyone is on all of them) then make your choice by the amount you use, times of day, preferences etc.

I'm off to Xilo.
  • Nemo
    Nemo Posts: 189 Forumite
    Options
    As per my earlier post, I requested my MAC on 1st Feb, and received it by phone message and text on 3rd Feb. On 4th Feb I received a letter giving me my MAC saying it expires 30 days after they recieve it from BT, which was presumably the 3rd.

This morning (the 6th), I've received a different letter from them dated the 3rd giving me my MAC again (the same MAC), but stating that it's valid for 25 days from the date of the letter. At the bottom, in bold, it states 'Should you recieve any further letters advisiing you of this MAC, please disregard them.'.

No idea why they've sent this, and why 25 days. Part of me thinks give them a call and ask, but I'm going to set my transfer in progress this weekend so don't think there are any issues anyway.

Anyone else received this 'alternative' letter?
    Nice to save.
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yep, the first time I asked for my MAC from Pipex, at the end of October, I was bombarded with notifications - one text, several answering machine messages, email, a letter saying 30 days to use it and another a few days later saying 25 days.

Although the dates didn't exactly tie up, I wasn't bothered as I wouldn't have left it till the last minute to migrate anyway.

I didn't use that MAC code as I was giving their Tech Support one last chance to sort out my speed issues. When I was still going round in circles a month later I asked for it again, got it by text next day and immediately applied to the new ISP using it.

That was on 4 Dec and I was migrated a week later on 11 Dec.
  • SoStew
    Options
    I have also just received a wonderful offer from Pipex: a price increase from £4.99 per month to £14.99 per month to receive the exact same service I am currently receiving including 2 months at half price from March!

I called them. The only offer they were prepared to make was 2 months free. They insist their new price is competitive, but try Plus Net: £5.99 without line rental per month. They have already been receiving a few calls from disgruntled Pipex customers. I haven't used them before, but the reviews I have read so far are OK so they seem worth a try.
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PlusNet is not available in all areas at £5.99/month, only in Market 3 areas, otherwise it is £11.99/month.
  • amyface
    amyface Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    MsRed1 wrote: »
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Better late than never.

So, amyface who's your next broadband provider?

You know who it is - as everyone's life mirrors yours, and you're so ahead of the game:beer:
  • before_hollywood
    Options
    MsRed1 wrote: »
    I left Pipex about 5 years ago and it was bad then. How come they've still go customers? I thought everyone would have left by now.

the pipex of now is not recogniseable compared to the pipex of then. i joined in about 2004- or there abouts, they were a tiny isp that only those in the know knew about.

then tiscali took over and everything went bad, i bought the laptop i have now and went on o2, then tiscali/pipex tried to force my connection back, i gave them hell for it and they claimed i owed them money, i told them it would be a cold day in hell before they saw a penny of it, 3 years on they have seen sod all of it

talktalk took them over as they nearly went bust (tiscali as a whole- not just pipex)
    things arent the way they were before, you wouldnt even recognise me anymore- not that you knew me back then ;)
    BH is my best mate too, its ok :)

I trust BH even if he's from Manchester.. ;)

all your base are belong to us :eek:
  • si1812
    Options
    Does anyone know how pipex/ISPs in general generate MAC Codes?

I'm currently trying to leave and requested a MAC 2 weeks ago. Just phoned today and they said the request failed for 'technical reasons' and was re-requested on the 15th (the day my DD goes out conveniently). I asked them to give it over the phone as it had been over 5 days, and they said they said there was a problem generating the code from BT and to call back next week.

This sounds like a delaying tactic to me, does anyone know how MACs are generated? Are BT involved at all, and could pipex have given me a code instantly if they wanted to?
  • Nemo
    Nemo Posts: 189 Forumite
    Options
    Some stuff here:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migration_Authorisation_Code

It indicates that it is BT who issue the MAC. I know that the ISP can't generate a MAC immediately.

When I requested my MAC from Pipex 3 weeks ago, I got it by automated phone message and by text after 2 days, by letter the following day, but didn't get the email until the day of my migration.
    Nice to save.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport