Leaving Pipex?

Having been with Pipex for several years now I am under no obligation to stay. I have a BT landline.
Today I get a letter telling me that price will change in March to £18.48 from the £9.99 I was paying!

What are my best options?
I download very little although with two daughters also surfing most evenings through our wireless network the browsing time is high.

Help appreciated:beer:

Comments

• luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I left Pipex in December after being with them since 2002. Their speeds were abysmal and their technical support was worse than useless.

I moved to https://www.newnet.co.uk as they don't throttle speeds. However I am finding the 3GB limit a bit tight for me. That said, it's only £1.40 for an extra Gb of bandwidth.

Have a look at https://www.thinkbroadband.com as you can do comparisons of the different ISP's.
  • MsRed1
    MsRed1 Posts: 324 Forumite
    Also try http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

Takes me back about six years ago when I was happy to pay £30 a month for their 1 meg broadband, and had a speedtouch 330 modem.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Left when they started traffic shaping and throttling my connection.

Now with Be paying £17.88 a month for a 15 meg service.:j:j.

How times have changed:j:j:D:D:cool::cool:.
    I went away and now I'm back.:j:j
  • Nemo
    Nemo Posts: 189 Forumite
    I've been with Pipex for about 7 years, I think. I started paying £23.99 a month, then changed to a 2Mb 30Gb limit package for £17.99 .

I phoned them up in mid-October of last year saying that the price was uncompetitive, and was there anything they could do about it otherwise I'd have to look at moving elsewhere. They changed my package to 5.4Mb with a 40Gb limit for £9.99 . 5.4Mb is the most my line can officially take, although it only connects at 3.2Mb. For this I had to agree to a 12-month contract.

Today I get a letter saying that from 1/3/10 it will cost me £14.99 for up to 8Mb, not that I can get any faster than I'm currently getting. It also states that for anyone on special terms contracts, it's tough.

I've tried calling customer services (and also upgrades) tonight after opening the letter at 6pm, but presume they're closed. As things stand I'm stuck with them for another 9 months, where before October I could have left immediately. I'll have to see what they say when I get through to them tomorrow or Monday, but if they won't leave me paying £9.99, surely they can't keep me to the 12-month contract I only agreed to in order to get the reduced price.

'!!!!!!_turpin', what package details are you on, and what have they indicated you'd be on come March 1st?
    Nice to save.
  • my new package offers up to 8Mb, but I only achieve about 3Mb anyway!
    I'm also being offered Anytime calls package but I think I was on that anyway!
    I assume you have the same letter, offering two months at half price?.....BIG DEAL!
    I spoke to someone who said I needed to ring during office hours.
  • MsRed1 wrote: »
    Also try http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

Takes me back about six years ago when I was happy to pay £30 a month for their 1 meg broadband, and had a speedtouch 330 modem.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Left when they started traffic shaping and throttling my connection.

Now with Be paying £17.88 a month for a 15 meg service.:j:j.
    I'm with 02/Be on their up to 20 meg package, and I'm only paying about a tenner a month (as long as you top up your phone by £10 every 3 months).

I'd try to question that and see if they can reduce the price for you.
  • MsRed1
    MsRed1 Posts: 324 Forumite
    I'm with 02/Be on their up to 20 meg package, and I'm only paying about a tenner a month (as long as you top up your phone by £10 every 3 months).

I'd try to question that and see if they can reduce the price for you.

I'm with t-mobile and don't really use my phone that much.
    I went away and now I'm back.:j:j
  • rafter_2
    rafter_2 Posts: 242 Forumite
    I just got the letter saying im being moved to the 8mb package for £14.99, im gutted as im already on 8mb uncapped and only pay £4.99 a month :(
  • altocumulus
    altocumulus Posts: 569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 February 2010 at 3:28PM
    I've been with Pipex 6 years now, their support is lousy, connection erratic when windy/raining and the speed is less than 1Mbps (according to most broadband speed checkers except talktalk).
    Not, yet, received any letters (though we're just on broadband).

[ps. anybody else NOT had a letter from talktalk?]
  • amyface
    amyface Posts: 84 Forumite
    rafter wrote: »
    I just got the letter saying im being moved to the 8mb package for £14.99, im gutted as im already on 8mb uncapped and only pay £4.99 a month :(

I was paying £7.99 and have had great service for many years and too had not plans to move.

Rang them up and couldn't get any reduction from the £15 so requested the MAC code - time to scan around for an alternative.
  • amyface
    amyface Posts: 84 Forumite
    I've been with Pipex 6 years now, their support is lousy, connection erratic when windy/raining and the speed is less than 1Mbps (according to most broadband speed checkers except talktalk).
    Not, yet, received any letters (though we're just on broadband).

[ps. anybody else NOT had a letter from talktalk?]

No talk talk letter (and I'm just on bb) but even more surprised you stayed 6 years with someone who sounded so lousy for you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure