We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

MSE Parents Club Part 10

1…256257259261262…1183

Comments

  • Oh I wandered off and forgot to mention the photos when I came back !! they are all lovely, very impressive new booties !! and csh, your DD is a stunner !!
    The two best things I have done with my life
    :TDD 5/11/02 :j DS 17/6/09 :T
    STOPTOBER CHALLANGE ... here we go !!
  • emlou2009
    emlou2009 Posts: 4,016 Forumite
    While we are all debating this sensitive subject and being so open, I would like to ask those who FF: "What would have enabled/persuaded you to breastfeed (or continued to breastfeed)". It is something I often wonder about, when thinking about how 'we' (everyone) can help mothers' to breastfeed.
    Nothing that anyone could have done anything about, unless its possible to train a two week old baby not to cry at the sight of my nipples.

    Feelie, I admire you for eventually getting there on the whole BF thing, and please dont take this the wrong way, but I think you are reading too much into this. I do remember you said yourself once that even you thought the reason you got there in the end was because of your addictive/compulsive personality, and what with growing up around it with your mother as a BF counseller, maybe you cant understand why people wouldnt want to BF or havent got as much determination to succeed as you did? This is honestly not meant with any intention of offending you.
    Mummy to
    DS (born March 2009)

    DD (born January 2012)
  • SusanC_2
    SusanC_2 Posts: 5,344
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I FF, and have never BF either of my two and had no intention of doing so either. Each to their own I say. And i may get shot down but (shrugs) it proper winds me up that i can't get boots points on stage 1 and 2 milk, because this would be promoting FF.:( And i'm sure i'm not alone.
    Do you get points on bottles and teats etc.? But Boots can set the price at anything they want so if they had the points it might be 4% more expensive but give you ponts.
    While we are all debating this sensitive subject and being so open, I would like to ask those who FF: "What would have enabled/persuaded you to breastfeed (or continued to breastfeed)". It is something I often wonder about, when thinking about how 'we' (everyone) can help mothers' to breastfeed.
    I know you weren't asking me but I'll tell you what were the key things for me keeping going in the early days:
    - I believe that it is the best option.
    - OH believes it is the best option and never suggested I give up.
    - we were planning to go camping when Alice was three months old and I knew this would be very difficult if I wasn't breastfeeding.
    - I told myself I could stop at four months.
    - My midwife (not the nasty weekend one) was very supportive - she had breastfed herself and understood about the pain, she explained a lot of things to us when I had problems (I got very sore but also very stressed because all the info said that if it hurt you were doing it wrong), and she was reasonable and reassuring about us having given a small amount of formula.
    Any question, comment or opinion is not intended to be criticism of anyone else.
    2 Samuel 12:23 Romans 8:28 Psalm 30:5
    "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die"
  • csh_2
    csh_2 Posts: 3,294
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    csh sounds abit heated ... not usually quiet with my opinions but this is a very sensitive subject and people can take things wrote the wrong way as you can see people experssions or hear how its said x

    Sorry you've lost me SM! Why am I sounding a bit heated?
  • searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    edited 3 February 2010 at 1:05PM
    csh bf/ff debate ... no you sounding heated the discussion :) x
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • elle_gee
    elle_gee Posts: 8,584
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just for clarity, the topic at training was why mums stop (lack of support, mostly), not why they don't start in the first place, iyswim :) (it was about how to support mums to continue, not how to bully them into it)

    On a lighter note, my mum has just been txting me.. "Are you sure he likes Weetabix?"... "How do you encourage him?"... "Oh yeah, getting there now".. "Oh, that's amazing. When he realises what it is, he wolfs it down so quick and he shouts when you're not quick enough" :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • boogellyboo
    boogellyboo Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    No boogey lol, that's a pic I took of her, her fringe was in her face there too, but it was still swept more to the side. Hang on, I've took a blurry pic of the one from the school and you'll see what I mean.

    :o Sorry Buttons! *boo removes foot from mouth* Now I see what you mean, your pics lush and the school fringe looks wrong.
    elle_gee wrote: »
    Just for clarity, the topic at training was why mums stop (lack of support, mostly), not why they don't start in the first place, iyswim :)

    On a lighter note, my mum has just been txting me.. "Are you sure he likes Weetabix?"... "How do you encourage him?"... "Oh yeah, getting there now".. "Oh, that's amazing. When he realises what it is, he wolfs it down so quick and he shouts when you're not quick enough" :rotfl: :rotfl:

    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Go Rhys!

    SM - did you mean me because I said dont be quiet?
    Belly Monkey arrived 19.11.09 :j
  • searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    oops sorry might of been boo :rotfl: im all over the place jaydens been fussing and just fallen asleep on me and i could murder a cuppa x
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • Buttonmoons
    Buttonmoons Posts: 13,323 Forumite
    I should still buy it though shouldn't I? I mean her fringe is in her face a bit but she still looks cute.


    ARGH.
  • SusanC wrote: »

    I know you weren't asking me but I'll tell you what were the key things for me keeping going in the early days:
    - I believe that it is the best option.
    - OH believes it is the best option and never suggested I give up.
    - we were planning to go camping when Alice was three months old and I knew this would be very difficult if I wasn't breastfeeding.
    - I told myself I could stop at four months.
    - My midwife (not the nasty weekend one) was very supportive - she had breastfed herself and understood about the pain, she explained a lot of things to us when I had problems (I got very sore but also very stressed because all the info said that if it hurt you were doing it wrong), and she was reasonable and reassuring about us having given a small amount of formula.

    I think it really helped me that at the start I set myself the goal of BFing for six weeks- it gave me a target and took the pressure off if I wanted to stop then. I'm also very lazy and, for me, BFing is much easier than the faff of bottles! It also helped that I had a BF drop in clinic to go to when I was really struggling with bleeding nipples.

    I totally accept that there are lots of mums who simply choose not to though, it's like anything...and wouldn't life be boring if we were all the same.

    On another note, I'm loving the pics! BM- I think that is a lovely school photo and that the fringe is dead cute!
    :DYummy mummy, runner, baker and procrastinator :p
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.