Everything & Anything New York City

Options

Comments

• Mr_Lahey
    Mr_Lahey Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    Options
    greenface wrote: »
    On thing that gets my back up is people on the wind and trying to word their responses with the above posts . Right mr head made of xunt if you would like to read the original post you replyed to and read it again as to not be confused with any other post you thought it your duty to reply to you will see "as youve quoted it" the poster did not say they could not afford it they said they would either go on a budget or save a bit harder.Then followed up your response to that stating New York was the only place for them for the forseable future.
    These forums are full of questions saying where shall i go to tell them your thoughts. I have worded this carefully for you Thanks for you posts. BTW Paris and Rome are two of my favorite cities and possibly my two favorite capitols but .
    A, Dont quote a post and then mis-quote it
    B, Tell us your NYC memories where did you stay good tips etc.

What is xunt?

Also, you might try reading through what you write before you post. Much of what you wrote is incoherent, grammatically incorrect and rambling. Im not one to pick up on spellings and typo's because i'm as bad myself - But come on, i had to read what you wrote a few times before i think i got the jist of what you are harping on about!

A - Mind your business.
    B - My top NYC tips - Don't stay in Manhattan, don't drive into NYC from any direction, always get the EXPY subway trains, try and fly into EWR as oppose to JFK and outwards, never tip more than 10%, walk south of Times Sq down Broadway for the best restaurants, take a jacket from September onwards, take the official ferry to the Statue of Liberty - None of the others.

Will those do for now?
    The Summer Holiday of a Lifetime
  • natsplatnat
    natsplatnat Posts: 3,033 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi All!

Have been looking online and notice that there are 'NYC passes' that you can buy in advance to skip queues and get into places discounted / free.

Are these a con? Are some a con and some real and if so is there any one in particular you would recommend. Want to get loads of bits in when I'm out there (May) but would like to do it as cheap as poss. (Info already stored in my suffering brain for the travel / subway pass for the duration!)

All answers and info gladly and welcomely received!

Nats x
    start = Wed 19th Nov 2008 £21,225
    end = Mon 28th Sept 2015 DEBT FREE!
    I love a good plan - it may not work.... but I love a good plan!
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 8 February 2010 at 11:54PM
    Options

Mr Lahey This message is hidden because Mr Lahey is on your ignore list.

Sorry i can't hear you !
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • Mr_Lahey
    edited 8 February 2010 at 10:21PM
    Options
    greenface wrote: »
    Remove user from ignore list
    Mr Lahey This message is hidden because Mr Lahey is on your ignore list.

Sorry i can't hear you !

There - I've taken myself off it since you left the option :)

But at least your ridiculous grammar can be explained by your immaturity.

And of you course you can't hear me - I am writing, not speaking.
  • greenface
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    :whistle::silenced:......................... :laugh:
  • greenface
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    any views or reviews please for Daughter & female friend.
    http://www.parksouthhotel.com/
    anyone been looking at mid dec 2010
  • marias1981
    Options
    I was just wondering when the hotel door staff help take our luggage to our rooms, how much am i supposed to tip? I havent got a clue! Thanks
  • thatsfabulous
    Options
    In my personal experience Maria not all hotels (I have stayed in) have offered assistance with my baggage only 1 out of 3 asked me if i wanted help. Im sure if they didnt offer and you asked them they will be able to assist you though. I tipped $1 per suitcase which i thought was about right?
    New York ♥..........These street will make you feel brand new, Big lights will inspire you.
    No place in the world that can compare ♥ 2nd October 2010 ♥
  • Mr_Lahey
    edited 9 February 2010 at 11:01AM
    Options
    Stay where then? New Jersey? - Or Jersey City, or Brooklyn, or even Union city. There are many many places all surrounding Manhattan Mark, most of which are cheaper. When coupled with the hugely effective transit/subway system staying outside of Manhattan is easy and you get a lot more for your money.

EXPY??? I've been to NYC many times and not heard of EXPY subway trains. - Then i question if you have ever actually been to New York Mark. Expy are Express Subway trains, they stop only at the stations with big black dots (or white ones i can't remember to be honest), in other words, rather than calling at every subway station they tend to call usually (not always) only at bigger stations. The other type of subway train is called a local, and calls at every single station.

Again, why? Why fly into somewhere the same distance away, but more expensive to get into, and if i'm not staying in Manhattan, but still in New York City (so i'm in either Queens or Brooklyn, then EWR is actually totally the wrong side. EWR is ok if you're staying in NJ, and Manhattan... - EWR is almost always cheaper to fly to/from. Also, from actual experiance Mark EWR is much quicker to get through in terms of passport control, bag drop etc than JFK. Both are about the same when getting into Manhattan, but id suggest getting from EWR to Penn Station and from JFK change at Jamica.

each time i've gone in September, the temperatures have been over 25 Celsius, so surely the better advice is to read the weather forecast. - I was there September just gone, and the one previous, each morning it was freezing because you see Mark, a lot of Manhattan is in the shade of the buildings, it usually warms up around lunch time.

Tip what you want people. If you take this advice some taxi drivers, and servers may get annoyed. So what? They provided you a journey at a price and you paid it. Anything extra should be appreciated. TIP stands for 'Thanks in Payment' if they got annoyed id take it back and tell them to stuff it. One of the worst things about the whole of the USA is that everyone expects a tip. In a Cab i just round it up and never ever, not once have i seen anyone look miffed. Also, if ever a 'tip' is included in the bill i never tip anything. Having been to the US, not just New York Mark countless times i can honestly say ive never had a single issue in regards to what i tip.

There are good restaurants around 9th avenue, so you don't have to walk down broadway, which isn't famed for its restaurants... Not famed for its restaurants of course - Which is why you will find cheaper, smaller, less busy and much more intimate restaurants. The reason i suggested that!

not that i'm picking holes in any way... but, most of these are opinions, and I really have no idea why some have been mentioned, as they don't make sense as a 1 line statement, and need a reason.. And i need to know whether you have actually been to NYC or just watched a load of episodes of Friends???

Jim.

Edit - Just had a quick look and its white dots, look for EXP (or similar) on the side of the subway train and you will find it only calls at the white dotted stations. Much quicker than the local.
  • FoxInTheSnow_2
    Options
    Always good to step in to an argument. Ha. Long time reader, first time poster and all that.

So, anyway my lovely girlfriend and I are heading to New York on March 5th till the 11th. The flights and hotel has cost us approx £500 each. This is flying from Manchester and staying at the Cosmopolitan Hotel. Big thanks for that tip on that as it seems to be smack back in the right area for us and works out pretty cheap.

It seems that it's easy to find out plenty to do in Manhattan. Going to buy tickets to see a gig at the Mercury Lounge for March 7th and there seems plenty of cool places to grab a drink e.g Pianos, Cake Shop etc. Though I'd always welcome some more suggestions. I've found the Village Voice website as a good place to check local listings/reviews (villagevoice.com)

By day we will be hitting a few touristy places of course e.g MOMA, Guggenheim, Central Park, Rockafella, Ellis Island etc. Probably do the usual trip to Macy's etc. So that should all be good.

Some tips I'd really appreciate would firstly be some decent places to grab some food/a drink in Tribeca near the hotel. Any nice Deli's around there? (100% going to hit Katz's Deli - always amazing)

Secondly I want to get out to Williamsburg for an afternoon - find some vintage/thrift shops for her and maybe a couple of bars for an early evening beer/bit of food. I remember on a previous trip I found a place that gave you a free slice of pizza with every beer ordered - I'd love to find there again. But any tips would be good to see a bit more authentic part of New York.

Finally has anyone ever been to Brooklyn Bowl (brooklynbowl.com) - it looks like it could be a fun option for the Friday night out when we arrive.

Hopefully it's clear the sort of stuff we enjoy but please just ask. Reading these forums has made planning the trip a whole bunch easier so thanks for all the work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure